Sequel: Pins and Needles

Philly Ink

New Hire

(Abigail’s POV)

The shop I worked at as a receptionist was booming. No Ka Oi Tiki Tattoo was one of the hottest places to get work done in Philadelphia and I was proud to work here. But if I wanted to open my own shop, I had to leave and it was starting to cause bad blood between me and some of the artists.

Many had asked me why I was getting my tattooing certification now that Laur wanted to open a shop, but when they had repeatedly asked me to do it so I could work there, I had put it off. I honestly didn’t have an answer for them. It was something I wanted to do. I thought they would have understood, but I guess that was asking for too much.

I rang up the last customer of the night and as the woman walked out, the girl I was closing with locked the doors before turning to look at me. Taylor Kent was a year younger than me, but she was amazing at her piercings. She did some tattooing on the side, but she preferred giving people piercings. I wasn’t too keen on the body metal, but I didn’t hold it against others who did.

“Everything all set?” I verified with Taylor before cashing out the register. “It was a busy night.”

Taylor nodded her agreement. “It was.” The girl sat on one of the stools in front of the counter and watched me count the money. “So when is your last day?”

I lifted my blue eyes to look at her in suspicion. “Why? Are you going to tell me how much of a mistake it’s going to be?”

Taylor shook her head, but said nothing. Maybe it was for the better. There were cameras in the building. Finishing my count and verifying it to the totals for the night, I packed my tray into the safe and locked it up. When I turned back around, Taylor hadn’t moved from her spot at the counter.

“Is everything ok Tee?” I asked unsure. “You don’t look ok.”

Taylor sighed and smoothed her red straightened hair. “I’m going to miss you, Abby.”

“Are you going to get all teary eyed on me, Tee?” I glanced away from the girl’s somber expression. “Please don’t.”

Tee shook her head and sniffed back tears. “You’re one of the only friends I’ve made here, Abby. You are leaving me alone to the wolves.”

I sighed and met her blue eyes unwillingly. “I’m really sorry. I know it’s hard to be around some of these people. They are vicious if they think you’re weak.”

Taylor nodded slightly then stood. “I gotta finish cleaning my needles.”

The young woman turned towards her station and made her way over to it in silence. I didn’t really know what to say, but a thought suddenly popped into my head.

“Hey Tee!” I called out.

The redhead glanced over her shoulder at me in question. “Yeah?”

Taking a deep breath to settle myself, I continued, “If it’s alright with Lauren, would you want to work at our shop doing piercings?”

Taylor looked beyond shocked at the offer. “Are you serious? You would want me to work at your shop?”

I nodded, knowing this was a good decision to make. “Yes. I would be thrilled if you accepted.”

Tee put a finger to her chin as if she were in deep thought. “I don’t know, Abby. It’s such a big decision.”

I sent her a look. “Stop being an ass. You know you want to.”

Tee laughed excitedly. “I would love to. Really Abby. Thank you.”

Happy, I finished closing up my counter while Tee finished cleaning her station. I hoped Lauren would agree with my decision to hire Taylor. I knew she would be a perfect addition to our shop.
♠ ♠ ♠
3 subscribers and yet no one comments? Why is that?