Status: writing a story is like putting on paper the things you ultimately fantasize or what you want to happen :]

Together Under Our Roof

Please Don't Leave Me

Amused, Michael watched Misty and Patrick as they chatted animatedly about the Second World War, debating between something he did not seem to understand. They were all waiting for their lunch orders to come out from the kitchen at the diner he had found Misty working.

Misty was very excited as she talked about the tragic Holocaust. Patrick was listening intently, putting in opinions every now and then as Misty spoke. Michael was watching her as she spoke excitedly, flailing her arms as she expressed her seriousness and her point.

When the food came out, Misty was ecstatic. After thanking Patrick, she dug into her food, ignoring everything else as she ate. Patrick watched her, laughing at her innocence.

Misty looked up at Patrick, not sure why he was laughing.

“What are you laughing at Patrick?” Misty asked, puzzled, her head dipping to the side as she looked at Patrick through confused eyes.

“I just haven’t seen you eat like this in a while. It’s just amusing is all,” Patrick answered. Michael laughed at the truth in Patrick’s words. Misty shot him a mortified glare, causing him to laugh out more.

For the rest of the meal, Misty was quiet as she ate and the men watched her as she ate a second plate, beet red as she finished her plates.

“Thank you Patrick!” Misty exclaimed when they left the diner. She jumped on Patrick, hugging him from behind. Patrick held strong as she leaned on him, feigning her drunkenness. He laughed as she exaggerated her thanks to him.

Michael stood away from the shock zone and waited for her moment to pass, internally dying on the floor laughing, but he did not want to be embarrassing.

As they walked back to the apartments, Misty and Patrick continued their conversation about the Holocaust. Michael was feeling left out. Although he could not help but be happy to see her smile and be excited, he felt the need to stay silent because she always went quiet when he spoke. She looked scared when she was reminded he was still with them.

Each time he tried to step into the conversation, he would always feel bad that he had broken her concentration and scared her. He would retreat back and wait until Misty continued her conversation cautiously with Patrick.

When they got back to the apartments, Michael and Misty said their goodbyes to Patrick and entered their apartment. When they got in the apartment, Misty rushed off for her room before Michael could say a word to her, leaving him in the dark with his mouth agape, ready to speak.

Misty walked quickly to her room, scared of being alone with Michael again.

When she got to her door, she heard a slight thump and then some rustling. Her heart dropped, scared of what could be behind the door. She stood frozen at the door.

Michael wondered why Misty was stopping at her door, not rushing into her room like she would usually do. He saw Misty’s worried face and walked slowly toward her.

Hesitating, she slowly opened her door, and cautiously looked in. When she saw what was behind the door, Misty screamed, falling to her knees.

Michael ran to her side, trying to get her to stand up and trying to calm her screaming down. When he looked to where she was looking, he saw a dark figure by her window. It was a large man, dressed in black. Michael could not make out the man’s face, which was hooded. Angered, Michael ran toward the man but before he could grab him, the man had already gone down the fire escape.

Michael turned back to Misty, who was on the floor, whimpering softly, trembling. Michael kneeled down next to her, wrapping his arms around her, pulling her up and guiding her slowly to the couch.

Misty was terrified. She could not think straight. When Michael wrapped his arms around her, she felt safe again, releasing herself from the trance she fell into. His arms were warm, a blanket of safety. She could not help but melt at his touch, relieving her fear. When he sat her down on the couch, she fell into his embrace immediately. Misty lost all strength to support herself and leaned into his arms, not thinking about anything else but the safety she never had.

Misty gave a low whimper, causing Michael to worry, tightening his grip on her as she silently wept. She dug deep into his neck, weeping as she listened to his breathing, finally relaxing as she followed his breaths.

Slowly, she pushed out of his embrace, her heart faltering as she felt the heat disappear from her body. She felt her feeling of safety disappear with it.

“I’m sorry - ,” Misty began but was cut off when Michael grabbed her and pulled her into him, her head resting on his chest briefly before he pulled her away.

“You do not need to be sorry. You should never have to be sorry,” Michael said firmly, looking at her with concerned eyes. Misty only nodded, unsure of what she should say. She watched as his eyes turned into a look of relief before he snapped his eyes away.

“I think it’s time that I get ready for bed,” Misty started softly. She got up and slowly walked to her room, trembling as she got closer. She stopped at her door, terrified that the man would be in there, waiting for her. She could not bear to reach for the door and instead let out a silent sob. She could not go in there.

Michael noticed that she was frightened and became worried again. He rose up and walked toward her. She did not seem to notice that he had moved. When he got closer to her, he tried to motion her to turn around. She did not see him.

“Misty,” he whispered in a pleading voice. Misty did not hear him. He got closer. “Misty, please, look at me,” he said softly, putting his hands on her shoulders. Misty relaxed at his touch, still not fully realizing that he was behind her. When he turned her to face him, he was saddened to see tears fill her eyes. He wiped away stray tears as he lifted her head to meet her eyes.

“Michael,” Misty muttered as she saw his eyes.

“Misty, you’re alright. I promise I won’t let anything hurt you. It’ll be okay,” Michael said sternly, rubbing circles on Misty’s cheeks soothing her as he spoke. He made Misty look at him, making it clear that she was safe. Misty could only slightly nod as she pushed herself into his chest.

Michael stumbled back, surprised, but then he wrapped his arms around her, running his hand through her hair to calm her down.

“Don’t leave me alone,” Misty pleaded, “please.” Michael pulled her away so that he could see her face.

“I promise that I won’t,” he promised.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you for those who have kept with me for this far!!!