Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 19

“I just… I mean, I know things aren’t fantastic but seriously? I mean really?” she demanded, as if I knew the intimate details and could just jump into this conversation. I stood there awkwardly, not wanting to leave and be a jerk but not wanting to stay and listen to her rip apart my best friend either.
“Uh…”
“Sorry, you don’t wanna hear about my problems,” she turned away, and then I felt like an asshole.
“No, Torrie it’s not that, it’s just… it’s weird cuz Jordan’s my best friend, you know? I’m sorry things aren’t going smoothly right now, but I honestly don’t know what to tell you; it isn’t really my place to step in here, you know?” she nodded, and I stood there awkwardly for another moment, not wanting to just up and leave after that.
“Sorry Cam, I know, and I’m sorry for even mentioning it to you. I just… wish I had someone to talk to who knew the other side of things, you know?” she asked, and I nodded. Many times I’d wished the same thing, except poor Torrie had no idea that asking me wasn’t going to get her the other side of things.
“Yeah, I understand, don’t worry. Ask Craig or Pascal, they’ll probably be good with giving you some advice,” I suggested, and she nodded a moment later.
“Thanks Cam. Good game by the way; you played really well. Talk to you later,” she said, and I nodded as I headed out the door of the locker room; Torrie obviously wanted to wait a few moments and pull herself together before doing so.
“Hey, have you seen Torrie?” Jordan asked as I met him in the hallway. He looked a little rough; his hair a mess from running his hands through it – a nervous habit he had – and he looked stressed out. Undoubtedly he’d hoped to quietly talk to Torrie about it and she’d taken off.
“Yeah, she’s in the locker room,” I nodded, and he started to walk past me before freezing and giving me a scrutinizing look.
“She burst in there as I was about to leave. She’s in pretty rough shape Gronk,” I told him, and he let out a groan.
“I know, and I feel like shit; I should’ve waited until we were home to say anything about it, but I didn’t wanna drag it out or I knew I’d turn chicken shit and not say anything! And that’s how we got into this mess in the first place,” he groaned, and I shrugged.
“I don’t know what to tell you man, but I don’t know if you’re the person she wants to see right now,” I admitted, and he nodded, leaning against the wall.
“I know, but…”
“Hey guys! Coming out to celebrate our win?” Kris asked down the hallway.
“Maybe,” Jordan allowed, and that tipped Kris off that something was up.
“What? Jordan not wanting to party? What happened man?”
“Uh…”
“Torrie’s not feeling good, that’s all,” I cut in, hoping to save my best friend from having to share this with everybody. “But it’s all good; Becka and I will take her home so you can go to the bar. I’m not up for going anyway,”
“Aw come on Bates! You can’t not come!” Kris insisted.
“You saw me try to put a hole in the boards with my face; I better just get some sleep tonight,” I reminded him, and with a suppressed chuckle he nodded.
“Okay, I guess you have an excuse. Jordan I’ll see you there; and if not I’ll come get you and drag you there,”
“Thanks a million Cam, but—”
“If you text her or something and she’s mad and doesn’t want you there tonight you come stay at our place,” I interjected, and he heaved a sigh of relief before pulling me into a quick hug.
“You. Are. My. Hero. What the hell would I do without you?” he asked, and I shrugged.
“Be in a lot of shit. I’ll go find Becka, she can get Torrie and we can take her home,” I said, and he nodded.
“I don’t know how I’ll repay you man,” he repeated.
“Dude, don’t worry about it, you’d do the same for me; no big deal,” I insisted, and finally after taking a long look back towards the locker room he followed after Kris. I texted Becka, hoping she’d get it soon, and then headed back toward the locker room.