Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 20

“Hello?” I asked as I knocked on the door.
“Yes?” Torrie’s voice shook as she called out, and I let myself into the large room. She was sitting at Jordan’s stall, and had obviously been crying.
“Hey, do you wanna head home? Becka and I will give you a ride,” I said, and she nodded as she stood up.
“Could I stay at your place? I just really don’t want to go home to Jordan right now,” she said, and I took a deep breath.
“I figured you wouldn’t want to; I told him he could take our spare room tonight before the guys dragged him out to celebrate,” I informed her, and it appeared as if a huge weight had been taken off her shoulders.
“Thank you so much Cam,”
“No problem Torrie; now let’s get you home. Did you want to stop anywhere or get anything?” I asked, but she shook her head.
“No, I have ice cream in the freezer; I’m set,” she told me, managing a small smile as she did so.
“All right. I’m gonna go find Becka, okay? I texted her but she must not have her phone on. Do you want to come with me or wait or…?”
“I’ll come with you, if that’s all right. The guys should all be gone anyway,” she slipped her mitts on and walked beside me as I made my way to where most of the WAGs usually waited for the guys. Sure enough I found Becka and Amy talking together.
“There you are; I texted you,” I said, wrapping my arm around her and pulling her into a hug. She laughed before hip-checking me playfully.
“You know my phone doesn’t get great service in the rink! You ready to go?”
“Yeah, and we’re gonna take Torrie home,” I told her. She nodded, and I had no doubts that the girls already knew all about Torrie and Jordan’s break or whatever they called it.
“Sounds good; talk to you tomorrow Amy!” she said, giving the petite brunette a hug, and then hugging Torrie.
“See you Amy,” I said, giving her a hug as well.
“You aren’t going to the bar with the guys?”
“Not after trying to drill a hole through the boards with my face, no,” I said, and she chuckled the tiniest bit. “I thought a good night’s sleep was my best bet.”
“At least someone on this team has some brains; until Sid got that concussion in January nobody here took anything like that seriously,”
“Well I don’t want to end my career a few weeks after it started,” I shrugged, and she nodded.
“All right; now get to bed and get some rest; good night guys!” she said, waving goodbye as the three of us headed towards my car.
“Torrie you can ride shotgun,” Becka immediately offered as I unlocked the car and got in, starting it up.
“Well that’s all right i—” she went to argue, but Becka opened the front passenger door for her, so Torrie got in and buckled up. She was quiet the whole way back, except for telling me where to turn, and when I pulled up in front of her building she sighed.
“I just…” I nodded, not knowing what to say to her.
“Torrie do you want me to stay with you tonight?” Becka asked.
“No, that’s all right, I don’t want to be a pain,” she started, but we both saw the tears in her eyes again.
“It’s not a pain at all, honest. In fact, it’ll be perfect; we can rent a couple movies, eat some ice cream, talk, and go shopping with Amy tomorrow,” she suggested, and we both saw Torrie perk up at the suggestion.
“Well if it isn’t too much trouble…”
“Of course it’s not!” she repeated, and got out of the car with Torrie.
“All right; if you girls need anything just call me, okay?” I told them, and Becka nodded. I saw Torrie’s car parked in the space, so I could drive my car home; if it wouldn’t have been there I would’ve left the Alero here for them to use and taken a cab back to my apartment.
“Thanks babe,” Becka said, giving me a tight hug and pressing her cheek to mine, something all of our friends and my teammates took as our sign of affection. It wasn’t too forward like kissing in public – which we would never do anyway – but it still “said something” according to all of them. To be honest it just developed as something that they would take as a ‘couple’ thing to do without making this whole pretending to be boyfriend/girlfriend thing even weirder.
“No problem Becks. All right; you girls have fun tonight, all right? And no spiking your ice cream,” I teased, although both girls eyes lit up at the thought of having some drinks with their ice cream.
“Sure, sure,” she rolled her eyes at me before going inside with Torrie. I drove home and as soon as I was inside stripped out of my clothes and put on my pajamas. I curled up on the couch with a couple blankets and turned the TV on. Netflix was a fairly recent installment for us; I’d finally convinced Becka that it was cheaper than renting movies every weekend, and we’d agreed on getting it. So I flicked through the movies until I came across the first half of the last Harry Potter movie, and decided it sounded good, so I started to watch it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would love to hear what you guys think!! Comments would be cool... *hint hint nudge nudge* and thanks so much for reading!!