The Mess I Made

Chapter Eight.

The cold November breeze blew through my hair as I sighed, mentally noting that it's now 3:45pm. Turning, I saw James walking out of the school with a blond boy. He had a rough face and the way Jame's was looking at him told me he wasn't his favorite person.

Against my first instinct, I walked over to them and put on a gentle smile. James glanced at me then to the blond who looked me over from my feet to my head. I fought to keep my hand from becoming a fist and shoved them in my pockets.

"What are you still doing here?" James asked me.

"I could ask you the same thing, James," I told him as I glanced at the other guy," Fido, my face is up here. Try to keep your tongue in you mouth before I shove it down your throat."

Guess my snide tone caught him off guard ,but I gotta hand it to the smart ass, he's got some come backs.

"Sorry, guess I forgot animals have feelings to," he said as I raised an eyebrow.

"Names, Sam," I said with a smile, offering him my hand.

"Tom," he told me as he shook it," What's a pretty face doing out here in the cold?"

"Being ditched by my care-takers pet," I said with a deep sigh.

"Oh, Cheyenne? She doesn't care about anyone ,but herself. Trust me," Tom said with a role of his eyes.

"Starting to believe it," I said as I looked around quietly.

"Me and James can walk you home, right Bro?" he said as James eyes went wide ,but when he looked at me he gave a smile.

"Sure. We got you," he said as he took my hand again.

I felt my face go red as I nodded and walked beside him as Tom stepped to my other side. It was a twenty minute walk ,but when we got to the house there were a few cars there. One a police car, then one I didn't know. When I walked in the door I saw the man who helped with my mom's investigation: Detective Stabler. Olivia ran and hugged me ,but I didn't return the affection.