I'll Never Be the Same

When I Get You You'll Know

Somehow I made it through the week. Darren would try to make conversation with me before English class started every day, but I ignored him. I hoped he’d start getting the hint soon.

Becca miraculously got me to your typical high school party on Saturday. I had told my parents I was staying at Becca’s house, whose parents were out of town, visiting some sick relative of theirs.

I was glad that Becca had already moved on from being sad over Darren. However, now she seemed to be at an angry stage. Darren was at the party and anytime we saw him Becca would glare and make some comment about how much of an asshole he was. Of course I agreed with her. I just wish she had realized all of this sooner rather than later.

At some point, Becca and I got separated. She was probably dancing somewhere. She was drinking, of course, and I knew she loved dancing after she’d have a few drinks. I wasn’t drinking. It wasn’t that I didn’t like to, it’s just I didn’t feel like being an idiot this evening. Besides I was having fun just watching everyone else do stupid things. I walked around the party trying to see if Becca was anywhere.

I spotted Darren flirting with some girl I didn’t recognize. She was probably new. I felt sorry for her because she didn’t know about Darren and his reputation. He leaned in to kiss her and I rolled my eyes. She looked happy. She’d be crying within a week, if not sooner.

I returned to my search for Becca, and finally I spotted her in the middle of the area where most people were dancing. At least I knew she was okay.

Deciding it was too hot inside, I headed outside through the back door, sitting on the steps. But of course, I can’t have a moment by myself for long.

I heard the door open behind me and of course it was Darren. He plopped himself down on the step beside me like we were best friends.

“The party’s inside, you know?” he said casually.

“Yeah,” I said, annoyed. “I know.”

He was quiet for a moment, which was quite a surprise.

“So, Hailey,” he said. “Why don’t you like me?”

“Are you serious?” I asked looking at him.

“Yup,” he answered, smiling at me. I rolled my eyes. “Tell me.”

“Fine,” I said. “I don’t like you because you’re an arrogant asshole who thinks he can have any girl he wants.”

“That definitely sounds like me,” Darren said without any hesitation. “But you’re forgetting something. I actually don’t get every girl I want. If that were true, I’d be able to get you.”

“I suppose you’re right,” I said. “But you might as well just give up on me, because I can tell you right now you will never have me.”

“I think you’re wrong,” he said. “I’m quite charming.”

“But you forget that your ‘charm’ has no effect on me,” I replied. I stood up and started towards the door to go back inside.

“We’ll see about that,” Darren said just as I opened the door. I looked back at him, but he was staring out at the back yard.

I swear he must be delusional.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know the chapters are short, but at least I'm updating regularly :]

Comments are much appreciated!

~Sally

[Chapter Title Credit: When I Get You Alone - Glee Version]