Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

024

Eventually, Chloe quieted and slumped against Zack’s chest. He lifted her in his arms and the other boys realized she had fallen asleep. Zack noticed them standing there and seemed to snap back into reality. None of them said a word. Zack’s eyes were tired, drained of every other emotion. They were bright red with unshed tears. His best friends stared at him, completely speechless. They had never seen this side of Zack before.

“Thank you.” He whispered hoarsely. “I just – thank you.”

“Of course, man.” Rian finally broke the silence.

“We’d never let anything hurt the cousin! She’s too much fun.” Jack smiled, trying to lighten the mood. Zack gave a shaky laugh.

“He won’t touch her again, Zack.” Alex stared intently at Chloe’s sleeping form. Zack nodded, but his mind was a million miles away.

“I’ve gotta go. I’m not gonna be at practice tonight.”

The boys nodded. Zack headed back towards his car. Alex desperately wanted to follow him. Actually, he desperately wanted to be the one holding Chloe. He wanted to be the one comforting her. Jack gave him a sympathetic smile before dragging him back into the school.

Zack gently laid Chloe down in the back of his car. He gazed at her with soft eyes for a moment and then sighed. He pulled out his phone and waited two rings.

“Marcus is back.” Zack spoke before his mother could even offer a greeting.

“What?”

“He’s back, Mom. He tried to take Chloe out of school today.”

“But he can’t do that! There’s a restraining order!”

“Aunt Eme and Uncle Jon canceled it.” He growled.

“They can’t do that!” She cried indignantly.

Zack was silent. They both knew that not only could Chloe’s parents do that, they already had. Both of them wished it was surprising, but in all honesty it wasn’t.

“Just take her to the house.” She finally sighed. “I’ll take care of Jon and Eme.”

“Okay.”

“I love you, Zack.”

“I love you too, Mom.”

Zack hung up the phone, his shoulders sagging. He had heard the overwhelming sadness in his mother’s voice and it only made him feel that much worse. He was supposed to be keeping an eye on Chloe. Marcus shouldn’t have been able to even think about her without being arrested again. He sighed and tucked a blanket around Chloe’s sleeping form in his backseat. He climbed into the driver’s side and took off for the house.

***

On the other side of town inside of a well-heated office building Carla Merrick sighed heavily before dialing her older sister’s familiar number.

“Carla, darling, I’m a little busy at the moment. I’ll have to call you back.”

“No, Eme, we’re talking now. Please, explain to me just how you could possibly cancel a restraining order on your daughter’s abuser?”

“Oh, please. You’re not still going along with Chloe Marie and her ‘abuse’ story are you? I thought you were smarter than that.”

“That girl was beaten for almost two years. You may choose to ignore it, but it’s true. I saw the bruises myself.”

“Chloe Marie has always been quite a deceptive little child, Carla. Marcus is a good boy. He may have a slight temper, but that is no reason for her to try and ruin his life. Jon and I refuse to believe her lies any longer. Marcus is the perfect fit for her, she just needs to learn to accept his flaws.”

“Are you listening to yourself right now?! How could you do this to your own daughter?!”

“I don’t have time for this. I expect you to send Chloe Marie home since I know you’ve probably got her stashed away. Do not question my parenting skills again. Goodbye.”

Carla gripped her phone tightly. It took all she had not to scream and throw the device at the nearest wall. She had no idea when her sister had turned into such an insensitive bitch. It used to be that she would do anything for Chloe. Now it was as if she wanted nothing to do with the girl. She pushed herself away from her desk. If Eme was going to demand Chloe go home tonight, Carla was going to make damn sure she had time to speak with her niece. Chloe needed to have a least one mother figure in her life.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is kind of boring, I know. I just needed to get it down before I can move on to the juicier stuff. You're all fantastic. I love you.(:

Special thanks to my lovely commenters!:
heygracerun, new_yorkxo and Helpless