Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

031

The conversation ended with a quiet click and Isobel rested her head in her hands. As if she hadn’t already been worried enough, Carla’s tone and immediate response scared Isobel. Just what exactly was going on with this girl?

“Mum, what the hell?!” Isobel’s head snapped up at the sound of her son’s voice. “I asked you not to make a fuss and you go and call Zack’s mom?!”

“Alex, you don’t understand the severity of this situation. You can’t take this on all by yourself. She needs help, more than an 18-year-old boy can offer her.”

“You don’t understand!” Alex tugged on his hair in frustration. “Whatever, I’m going to go talk to her.”

“Sweetie, I–”

“Save it.”

Alex stormed up the stairs. He knew his mom was right. In fact, he probably should have called Zack the minute Chloe showed up at his door last night. He just hoped that she wouldn’t freak out when her family showed up.

Chloe sat in Alex’s bed beneath all of the blankets. She had pulled the large shirt over her legs which she was clutching to her chest. It hurt her ribs and her knee, but the gesture comforted her. Alex slipped back inside the room and Chloe perked up at once. He looked upset.

“Alex? Are you okay?” She moved off the bed, wincing. Alex rushed to her as she began to sway.

“I’m fine. You need to lie down, Chloe. Please.”

Chloe let herself be led back to the bed. She curled into a ball again and Alex laid down next to her. He gathered her into his arms, resting his head in the crook of her neck. He pulled the covers over both of them and took a deep breath. Chloe wasn’t going to be happy when he told her who was coming over.

“Chloe…My mom called your aunt.” Chloe went stiff in his arms.

“Why did she do that?” Chloe breathed, her voice sounding slightly panicked.

“Because she knows why you’re here.”

“And why does she know that?” Chloe’s voice sounded angry now.

“I had to tell her something. She was going to find out that you were here and she was going to see you.”

“Well, I fell down the stairs, so I don’t know why she had to make a big deal and call Aunt Carla.”

“You didn’t fall down the stairs.”

“Yes, I did.” Chloe sat up and pushed herself away from Alex. He frowned and sat up next to her. His arms attempted to snake around her waist again, but Chloe slapped them away.

“No, you didn’t. Marcus hit you. And he bit you. And scratched you. And kicked you. And then he left you. You didn’t fall down the stairs.” Chloe’s face burned with shame.

“I have to go.” She whispered, standing.

Alex stood with her. She shook, her feet unsteady as she tried to walk away. Alex wrapped his arms around her waist from behind and she struggled to free herself. He wasn’t holding tightly, but Chloe was too weak to even move an inch. Alex walked her back to the bed. He sat, resting her on his lap. She started to cry, and Alex rocked her gently.

“She’s going to be so mad.”

“No, Chloe, she’s not. At least not at you. She’s going to be mad at Marcus, but she’s going to be happy that you’re okay. I’m sorry, I know you didn’t want her or Zack knowing, but I think my mom was right. He can’t get away with this. C’mon, I’m going to clean your cuts up, okay?”

Chloe nodded into his neck and allowed him to carry her across the hallway. He sat her on the toilet lid and retrieved the first aid kit from where he had left it on the floor last night. He grabbed the gauze and antibiotic cream. Chloe allowed him to smear it on her neck before covering it in the dressing. His fingers ghosted along the hemline of the t-shirt she was wearing.

“It’s okay, Alex.” She whispered, pulling the shirt up by herself.

Alex tried not to make any noise as he surveyed her abdomen. The bruises covered her entire ribcage and the fingernail marks were leaking tiny droplets of blood. He wiped it away gently with a wet cloth before placing the cream and band-aids over the each one. She pulled the shirt back down and Alex put the kit away.

“Where is she?!” Zack’s voice yelled from downstairs.

“Zachary, calm down. You’re going to scare her.” His mother reprimanded.

“Are you ready?” Alex asked. Chloe nodded and he helped her stand.

They made their way to the stairs, Chloe leaning heavily on Alex. He lifted her up despite her glare at being babied. Alex kissed her forehead before they descended the stairs and came face to face with a crying Carla and an angry Zack.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is really short and the ending is kind of awkward, I'm sorry. I wanted to get something posted before I leave for work though since I won't be able to update after I get home. I promise I'll make the next one extra long.

Thanks to my commenters!:
TheHider, new_yorkxo, dirty_w0rk, and liza.ch

I love you guys!

Click!