Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

032

There was a collective gasp at the sight of Chloe when Alex set her down, and she cringed into his side. He wrapped a supportive arm around her shoulder and gave a light, reassuring squeeze.

“Chloe…” Carla breathed.

“I’m going to fucking kill him.” Zack growled. Chloe moved to her cousin, placing a hand on his arm.

“Zack, please. I’m okay.” Zack squeezed his eyes shut and pulled Chloe close to him.

“You’re not fine. He hurt you. Again. And I let him.” His anger was gone, replaced by guilt and sadness.

“No, Zack, this isn’t your fault.”

“I should have never let you go home.” Carla whispered.

Chloe didn’t say anything. She looked over at Alex who gave her a small smile. His mom looked just as upset as her aunt did and she felt embarrassment flood her system. She really wished Alex hadn’t said anything.

“Chloe, what happened?” Zack whispered in her ear. Chloe shook her head. “You need to tell me. Please, Bo. I have to know.” Chloe felt tears well in her eyes.

“Okay.”

Carla saw the cousins exchange and knew what was going to happen next. She whispered into Isobel’s ear and the two disappeared into the kitchen. Alex stood near the staircase awkwardly. Chloe looked over and caught his eyes. Zack did too and sighed.

“He deserves to know, Bo.”

Chloe sighed heavily, tears still leaking from her eyes. Zack scooped her up. Chloe melted into his chest and Alex followed them both into the living room. Alex watched Zack sit down, Chloe still nestled into his chest.

“It was Marcus.” She mumbled. Neither boy said anything and Chloe clenched her eyes shut. She took a deep breath. “He was just upset. We went to this party, and I lost him. I was drinking, and I just slipped and fell into this guy. And I started flirting with him. I shouldn’t have done it, I was being a bad girlfriend. He was just afraid I was going to leave him again. It wasn’t his fault.”

“You are not his girlfriend.” Zack stated harshly, his arms tightening around her thin waste.

Chloe ducked her head but didn’t speak. Zack pulled her face back up to look her in the eyes. He knew that look. She had given in again. She was going to take him back.

“Chloe. You. Are. Not. His. Girlfriend.”

Chloe still didn’t speak. Her eyes darted to Alex’s face. He looked crushed. Chloe knew she shouldn’t have kissed him. She shouldn’t have even come to his house in the first place. But she was a weak pathetic little slut and she hadn’t been able to stop herself.

“I’m sorry, Zack.” She whispered, though her eyes were still locked onto Alex’s.

“No. No, Chloe. It’s not happening. Not again. You cannot take him back again. He hasn’t changed and he never will and you’ll just end up getting even more hurt.”

“I still love him, Mop.”

“I don’t care you’re not going back to him.”

Alex had stayed quiet the entire time. He couldn’t believe he was even hearing this. Chloe was dating that asshole? She was actually dating him, again, after everything that he had done to her. After everything that had happened last night, she was actually dating Marcus. Alex couldn’t take it. He stood up, fists balled up at his side. Chloe’s eyes bore into his. She held a slightly pained expression, though she was trying to cover it up. Alex walked away, escaping into his room upstairs. He threw himself on the bed and buried his head into the pillow Chloe had used the night before.

Zack looked back at his cousin after watching his best friend storm away. She looked hurt. Zack rubbed circles on her back and she laid her head back on his chest.

“What happened when you got here, Chloe?”

“I want to go home, Zack. Please, take me home.” She rasped.

Zack let out a deep sigh. He nodded and lifted her off of the couch. The moms in the kitchen were talking in low murmurs that ceased the moment Zack and Chloe appeared. Carla stared at Chloe, her face scrunching in sadness. Isobel felt tears prick her eyes the longer she stared at the tiny girl. Zack cleared his throat and their attention was redirected to him.

“Mom, can we head out? I want to get Chloe back to the house.”

Carla nodded at once before thanking Isobel. She watched with sad eyes as the three of them filed out of her house. She realized Alex was nowhere to be seen and wondered where he had gone. She heard a clump from the bedroom upstairs and thanked God he was okay. With a sigh, Isobel pushed all thoughts from her mind and returned to her mug of tea.

Outside of the Gaskarth household, Zack had set Chloe onto her feet and ushered her into the backseat. He climbed in after her and she curled into him at once. Carla started the car and they made the silent trip back home. Zack watched his mother scurry inside, going to grab the first aid kit and set it up, before gently tugging Chloe out of the car. She shivered in the cold. Zack hurried her into the house. Her aunt was already waiting by the couch and Chloe settled herself in amongst the blankets. She allowed Zack and his mother to look her over, assessing the bruises on her ribs and the swollen lump that was her knee. Zack was upset the most by the bite and fingernail marks and threatened Marcus’ life once again. Carla remained quiet, knowing whatever she said wouldn’t make a difference. Instead, she set about cleaning and dressing the wounds again. Chloe barely even flinched as she prodded at the injuries.

“We’re going to have to take you to the doctor, Chloe. Something is really wrong with your knee, and I won’t let fractured ribs go untreated again.”

“They’re not fractured, I swear. Please, Aunt Carla, we can’t go to the doctor. They’re going to want to know what happened.” Chloe said, tears streaking down her face.

“Let them know then.” Zack seethed. “Maybe then we can get the restraining order back in place.”

“Zack.” His mother warned.

Even if Zack was able to push Chloe more than anyone else, he could still push her too far sometimes. Case and point: the first time he made Chloe leave. Carla wasn’t going to let that happen again.

“One day, Chloe. Your knee has one day to see if it gets better and if it doesn’t we’re going to the doctor. No arguments.” She said sternly.

Chloe nodded and Carla left to get an ice packet and pain pills. Chloe laid down, wrapping the blankets around herself. Zack lifted her slightly as he sat down, moving her so that she was leaning on him. She snuggled closer and he turned on the television. He set it to the Food Network and Chloe smiled up at him. She pecked his cheek.

“I love you, Zack.”

“I love you too, Chloe.” He sighed, resting his head on top of hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi, I love you guys(: I was planning on getting this up earlier, but then I got stuck with doing laundry and making dinner and so here it is now! Hopefully this chapter makes up for the last one. On the plus side, I have the next week off of work which hasn't happened since like August so I'll be prewriting a lot. Woo!

Thanks to my lovely little commenters!:
The Hider, dirty_w0rk, Helpless, new_yorkxo (I agree! I'm really happy she didn't listen to Alex.), heygracerun (I'm sorry! I had to stop it there, but hopefully you're not mad anymore cause I updated!(: haha)

click for teaser tumblr!