Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

041

It was several hours before Chloe stirred in Alex’s lap. The rest of the boys had switched over to video games, but Alex was content to just sit there, Chloe cuddling into his chest. He looked down when he felt her moving. Lazily, Chloe blinked her eyes open. Alex smiled down at her and her mouth popped open in astonishment.

“What’s wrong?” He whispered, concerned.

“I didn’t have a nightmare…” Her eyes widened as she spoke. “I didn’t have a nightmare.” She smiled and laid a hand on Alex’s cheek. He shuddered slightly at her cold touch. “That hasn’t happened in years.”

Alex pulled her close and kissed the top of her forehead. Chloe smiled at him and placed a soft kiss on his neck before snuggling back into his embrace. Luckily, the other boys had picked a less violent game this time. Zack glanced over at the couple and was surprised to see Chloe awake. He searched his most recent memories, but he couldn’t recall her screaming. Chloe locked eyes with her cousin and gave him a small nod. He beamed at her. No nightmares. He grabbed an extra controller off of the coffee table and tossed it to her.

“Bet you can’t beat me.” He said with a grin.

Chloe glanced at the television. Zack had dug out the Nintendo 64 and they were currently playing Diddy Kong Racing. Chloe smirked at her cousin.

“You’re on.”

Alex loosened his hold on the small girl as she leaned forward, the controller gripped tightly in her tiny hands. Jack and Rian exchanged a glance and set their controllers down. This was a family battle, and they would much rather watch it than be a part of it.

“10 bucks on Zack.” Rian murmured. He had been on the losing end of Zack’s racing skills one too many times before.

“No way, bro. Chlobo is totally gonna kick his ass.” Jack said confidently.

Alex didn’t say anything but gave Chloe’s waist a reassuring squeeze. He placed a delicate kiss at the top of her spine. A shiver ran down her spine, a smile sneaking onto her face. Chloe and Zack quickly picked their characters. Zack chose the course, settling on Chloe’s least favorite one. She grimaced and he smirked at her.

“Sure you wanna do this, Bo? It’s been a while since you’ve played, you’ve probably gotten rusty.”

“Nice try, Mop. Prepare to get your butt whopped.”

The other boys watched with amused expressions as the cousins began their race. Chloe stared intently at the screen, the tip of her tongue poking out of the left side of her mouth in concentration. Alex stifled a chuckle. Her thin fingers moved deftly on the controller. Zack’s eyebrows knitted together as he attempted to cut Chloe off at a pass. She maneuvered away from him, pulling in front and gaining the lead. Zack cursed under his breath and Chloe let out a laugh. Alex smiled as he watched her. She looked so happy and comfortable. Just a few moments later, Chloe flew across the finish line, Zack not even close to her car. She let out a triumphant cry at the same time Jack did.

“You owe me $10, Ri.” He grinned smugly. “Fork it over.”

Rian grumbled and dug a $10 bill out of his wallet. Jack snatched it away quickly. He pulled Chloe off of Alex’s lap suddenly and began twirling her around in some type of victory dance. Chloe giggled. Zack couldn’t stay mad when she was acting like this and smiled as he watched her. The scene was like something out of a cheesy movie, but it was perfect. Then, everything was shattered by the sound of the doorbell ringing.

Zack wasn’t thinking about the fact that something dangerous could be lurking on the other side of the door. His smile instantly fell at the sight of Marcus Hanner standing in front of him. He was positively fuming. Chloe’s laugh echoed into the entryway and Marcus’ fist curled.

“What the fuck are you doing here, Hanner?” Zack snapped, blocking his way inside.

“I’m here to get my girlfriend.” He sneered. “I know she’s here and I’m not leaving without her.”

“Yes, you are. Chloe isn’t going anywhere with you ever again.”

The living room had gone silent. Zack and Marcus stared each other down, until the soft sound of footsteps came from behind Zack. He whipped his head around and saw Chloe standing there shaking slightly. Alex had wrapped his arm around her waist, practically gluing her to his side. They were flanked by Rian and Jack. Both of them crossed their arms over their chest. Marcus’ eyes snapped to Chloe.

“Get over here, Chloe, we’re leaving.” He stated harshly.

“Like Zack said, she isn’t going anywhere with you.” Alex said, bringing the girl even closer to him.

“Chloe, what the fuck are you doing?” Marcus hissed. “I told you not to hang around these boys anymore. Now come here.” He growled.

Chloe took a step forward, moving out of Alex’s arms. All of the boys stared at her in desperation. Alex reached towards her, but Chloe kept walking until she was standing just behind her cousin. Zack gave her a pleading look, but Chloe kept her eyes on Marcus. He smirked at the other boys, stretching his hand out for her to take.

“Marcus…” She whispered. “I – I…no.” Her eyes fell down to her toes. Marcus turned a deep shade of purple.

“No?” A vein popped out on his forehead, a sure sign that his anger was reaching its boiling point.

“No.” Her voice was stronger this time and she forced her head up to stare into his dark eyes. “I’m staying here.” She moved her hand backwards. Alex saw it and immediately rushed forward, slipping his fingers through hers. “I’m done, Marcus. We’re done.”

“You worthless piece of shit.” He spat. Chloe flinched, but didn’t back down. “You think you can just leave me? No, I’m not going to let that happen. How many times do I have to tell you before you get it through your stupid fucking skull? You are mine.

“Not anymore.” Alex said firmly. “You are nothing but a pathetic asshole who is so insecure he has to take out his anger on a girl half his size. Now, get the fuck out of here before we call the cops.”

Rian and Jack stepped up behind the three other teenagers. Jack had already pulled out his cell phone, his fingers resting on the numbers. The anger vanished from Marcus’ eyes. He looked absolutely broken now. Tears gathered in his eyes as he silently pleaded with Chloe. She began to shake again, tears pooling in her eyes as well.

“Please, Chloe.” He begged. “Please don’t do this. I love you. Don’t do this to me.”

“I can’t, Marcus. I just can’t do this anymore.” Tears spilled down Chloe’s fragile cheekbones. “I love you, I always will, but I’m done. I’m sorry.”

Chloe stared at Marcus silently. His face was a mixture of emotions. Chloe felt her heart wrench, but she knew she was doing the right thing. She had to end this. For good.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered again.

And then she gently grasped the door and closed it on Marcus’ frame. She turned the lock with a quiet click and then collapsed into Alex’s chest, sobs wracking her slim body. Marcus pounded on the door. Zack double checked the lock and then helped Alex carry Chloe back to the living room. Jack ran his hand over Chloe’s back and Rian gave her shoulder a light squeeze. Chloe finally pulled her face away from Alex’s body.

“I’m just going to go lie down.” She said softly. Zack nodded.

Chloe looked dangerously pale and was swaying back and forth as she tried to stay upright. She needed rest. Chloe began to walk away, but she still had her fingers laced through Alex’s. He wasn’t sure if she wanted to be alone or not, so he loosened his grip. In turn, Chloe tightened hers. Alex looked over his shoulder at Zack who simply shrugged. So Alex let the blonde pull him down the hall and into her room. She crawled onto the bed, bringing Alex down with her. He instinctively wrapped an arm around her waist, tucking her into his body.

“Please, don’t leave me.” Chloe whispered. Alex ducked his head and rested it on her shoulder, pressing his face into her neck.

“Never.” His voice was muffled by her skin, but Chloe heard him.

With a deep breath she allowed her body to relax completely. Alex found a blanket on the side of her bed and managed to grab it without having to move his body. He gently tucked it around both of them. Then, with a kiss to the back of her head, the couple drifted to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Go Chloe! I really love writing scenes with Zack and Chloe. Their relationship is one of my favorites. Also, I wrote a poem/song thing in my AP Comp & Lit class the other day. I feel like it seriously applies to Chloe, so you should click here and check it out.(:

Since this story is going to wrap up in a few chapters (I'm still not sure exactly how many but it's gonna be soon) and I don't think a lot of you follow the teaser tumblr I've decided to start posting little hints/facts about the sequel just to keep you on your toes. ;)
Fact Number One: Alex and Chloe's theme song for the sequel is Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri.

Special thanks to my commenters that just melt my heart with their words:
newyork_xo
xnothingtolosex
Baby.Blue.Eyes
(he's 15. and I still haven't gotten an explanation as to why that happened...haha)
Helpless (I'm trying to get updates out faster, I swear! I've literally got like 3-4 hours of homework a night plus I work 30 hours a week, but I'm gonna start using my weekends to try and prewrite a lot(:) and
scream me a symphony
I really love hearing what you guys think. Every one of your comments just makes me smile like a lovestruck school girl. I love you guys more than Sokka loves Suki. <3

Beeteedubs, I'm a fucking boss when it comes to Nintendo 64. I will kick the shit out of you at Diddy Kong Racing and Pokemon Puzzle League. Just sayin...