Status: Complete!!

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Chapter 11

The next two days passed by in a busy blur; my family was up for the whole weekend, so we had to check out everything in Sudbury, go to a bunch of the restaurants and the museum and everything. I hadn’t seen any of my friends or teammates, or even talk to Kass. While it was a lot of fun, and I love to see my family and spend time with them, I couldn’t help but wish I could have invited Kass along to something so I could talk to her. But at the same time I didn’t want it to be weird; I mean, to invite her along to a family thing she’d obviously think I was trying too hard or something, and I didn’t want to scare her or give her the wrong idea.

“Just call her or something Jared,” Tanya rolled her eyes at me as she walked past me into the kitchen.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, taken by surprise. She sat down at the kitchen table beside me and gave me an intent look.

“Call. Her. How much simpler can I make that?” she asked, and I sighed, feeling my cheeks heat up at even the thought of doing such a thing.

“That would be weird… and what if she doesn’t like me that way? That would be so awkward,” I argued, but she shook her head at me.

“How are you ever going to know if you don’t even try? Are you just gonna sit around and let everything pass you by?”

“No, but—”

“Exactly. Not get the phone and call her; I think Eric and I can keep your parents occupied for the afternoon so you guys can do something,” she insisted, and the offer was so tempting I wanted to go with her on that. But some nagging little voice at the back of my head told me it was a bad idea; that I would just end up making an idiot out of myself, and I really didn’t want to do that. I didn’t want to screw up any chance I may have had with Kass.

“Do you know her number?” Tanya asked, and I felt my cheeks heat up again. I’d been too scared to ask for it the other night when she’d went to my game; I didn’t want her to think I was trying too hard to make it more than friends hanging out. So instead I’d just told her that I would come find her after the game, rather than getting her number and texting her.

“No, I don’t have it,” I shook my head, and she sighed.

“You are hopeless Jared, completely hopeless,”

“Thanks,” I rolled my eyes at her, and she went to go and find my brother, leaving me alone in the kitchen. I sat there for a moment, unsure of what I should do before going into the fridge and finding something to eat.