Status: Complete!!

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Chapter 2

The rest of my morning classes went by uneventfully, nothing different from any other day, until Math class came along. Our desks were always set up in pairs, which our teacher believed was ‘beneficial for us to learn from each other’. In other words it was easy to cheat and help. I sat down in my usual place, and got out my books as we waited for our math teacher, Mrs. Drier, to show up.
“Hey, is it cool if I sit with you?” I nearly jumped as I looked up to see Jared towering over me.
“Uh, sure,” I moved my stuff over and he somehow managed to get his huge frame into the desk.
“Thanks. Do you understand this whole matrices thing?” he asked.
“Yeah. You having trouble?” he gave me a sheepish grin and then I noticed that the page of his notebook had just the questions written down, no answers.
“Just a little. I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it, you know? I asked Eric last time I talked to him, but he didn’t even remember taking this in school. Jordan’s pointless to ask and I haven’t gotten ahold of Marc yet,” he explained as he opened his text book.
“It’s not that bad, you see—” I began before Mrs. Drier walked in, looking once again like she’d been caught in a tornado or something.
“All right class; let’s get started,” she announced as she began scribbling on the chalkboard.
About halfway through class we were given time to work on our assignments, so I began attempting to teach Jared how to solve matrices.
“Oh shit, you just take the number through everything?” he asked, and I nodded.
“Wow, I must be retarded,” he shook his head, looking incredulous at how simple they actually were.
“No, it’s a weird concept, that’s all,” I shrugged.
“Thanks a million for helping me out Kassidy,” he said, shooting a mega-watt grin at me.
“Don’t worry about it,” I assured him, trying to keep my cheeks from turning red. He’d never had this kind of effect on me, so I don’t know why I was suddenly acting weird around him.
“Still, thanks. My parents will be forever grateful,” he grinned.
“So, you coming to our game tomorrow night?” he asked me a moment later.
“I don’t know,”
“You should; they’re actually pretty intense; if you like hockey you should have fun,” he insisted.
“Maybe, if Alanna or somebody will come with me,” I allowed, and saw his grin somehow grow larger.
“That’d be really cool; hopefully I’ll see you there,” he told me an instant before the bell rang for lunch.