The Night When They Arose

The Way

The night wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, it rained, something that I was quite used to. I got my toiletries from the back of my door. I showered and went back into my room to do my make-up. When I was done that I went down stairs.

My dad rubbed my back. “Mornin’ Alice how was your sleep?”

I grabbed a banana. “Mmm, I wanna go back to bed!” I was always groggy in the morning. “How far is school?” I wanted to know so I could go back to bed.

He shrugged. “Don’t know kid, that’s more of a question for your brother.—” He looked in the fridge. “Oh hey, did you bump into the stable boy last night. He said that you weren’t what he was expecting.”

I sighed. “What was he expecting, short, brown hair, what else?”

He looked under his shoulder. “Hey you’re plenty beautiful. He is very shallow.”

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks dad, but to me it looked like he was expecting a cowgirl. Not some punk, he said that ‘Only Alice O’Brian can ‘tame’ her.’ Like come on!” I whacked my head against the table.

Travis came running down the stairs. “Uh-oh, mayday mayday she’s falling for the stable boy, mayday mayday!”

I lifted my head off of the table. “Shut up Travis!” I tried to take a swing at him, but lucky for him I missed, I fell off of the chair. “Oww, thanks for making my day!”

My dad threw the keys for my car at me. “Here Buttercup. Catch!” My reflexes work with me lovingly.

I grabbed my jacket. “Thanks, bye.” And I stormed out the door. When I got into my car, I threw my bag on to the passenger seat. It smelt like new plastic. “Oh my god!” Even with the windows rolled down the stink didn’t go away. The drive to school was totAly nerve racking.

I pulled into the parking lot, looking for a place to park. When I parked without killing myself or the car, I got out and found the office. The school was small, but what was I to expect with a town population of 2037. I stepped into the office. There was a porcelain blonde at the front desk.

I hit the bell on the table. “Good morning, I’m Alice O’Brian.”

She looked up and smiled. “Good morning Alice. I have your schedule here—” She pulled out a yellow piece of paper. “A map, and I want you to get all of you teachers to sign this.” She pulled out a white sheet, and a red one. “If you get lost just ask around.”

I smiled. “Thank you.” Tires started rolling in, so I decided that was my cue to leave. I walked down the hall, looking for my first class, Trigonometry with Mr. Lee. The room wasn’t that hard to find, I walked in and got him to sign the “attendance” sheet.

His smile was warm. “Hello Alice, we’ve been waiting for you.”

All I could do was smile back. He gave me a seat in the back. I was terribly glad he didn’t make me introduce myself, being the klutz I am. The first bell rang and class started.

After Trig I went and found my ELA class. Already before I got into the classroom I knew that I would not do so well. I handed Mr. Sykes my sheet he signed it and assigned me a seat in the back, no introduction. One girl I met told me she would guide me around. I forgot her name.

She leaned over the desk, she was sitting next to me. “So Alice—” She looked up. Several people started to stare at me. That was when the gossiping started. She continued. “What is your next class?”

I looked down at my schedule. “I have,” I looked up to see if people were still looking at me, bad idea. “Umm— Spanish, I think?”

She giggled in response. More people paid attention.

I looked down once again. “I’m sorry, what was your name again?”

She must have thought I was dumb, with the look that she gave me. “It’s Amy.”

I nodded. Class was dismissed, Amy walked me to Spanish. We had three of our classes together. My Spanish teacher Ms. Green made me introduce myself. On the way back to my seat I tripped on someone’s books, thankfully I caught myself.

Amy showed me to the cafeteria, I sat with her for lunch. “So Alice, you’re related to Travis O’Brian right?”

I rolled my eyes. “I wish I wasn’t.”

She rolled her eyes too. We sat down. “Hey Alice, Lance Barker is staring at you.”

I looked up to follow her gaze. It was the stable boy. “No!”

She cocked her head. “What’s with you?”

I looked away. “I think he works for my dad, I ran into him. Does he spread rumours?”

She shook her head. “Nope he only talks within his family.—Oh Alice this boy here,” she grabbed the boy’s shirt from across the table. “You have gym with him, which is right—” the buzzer rang “Now. Bye Alice.”

She left me with a tall lanky kid. I held out my hand. “Hi I’m Alice, and you are?”

He took my hand. “Blake Fabio, pleasure to meet you Alice.”

We walked to gym in silence. The gym teacher gave me a uniform after she signed my slip. She didn’t make me change. After gym was over, Blake walked me to my next class, Biology with Mr. Simon.

Mr. Simon signed my sheet and gave me option to where I could sit, all seats were taken. I was forced to sit with Lance. When I sat down he turned from me.

I knew this class would be horrible. “Hi Lance,”

He grunted like when I bumped into him. I took that as a “That’s nice leave me alone” grunt.

Class was extremely boring; we already covered this unit in Jersey. The final bell rang. Lance got up so fluidly. I fell over while I went to get my books. Blake caught me. “Thanks Blake.”

He shrugged. “No problem, do you think you’ll be able to find the office again?”

I nodded “Whoa ya, this place is super small compared to our school in Jersey.”

He smiled. “Oh okay, see you tomorrow, Alice.”

I waved bye, and walked to the office. “Hello again,”

The secretary was still there. “Hello Alice how was your first day?”

I shrugged “Okay I guess... nothing special.”

She took my sheet. “Good you didn’t get lost. See you later Alice.”

“Bye.” I left the office, in the hall Lance barged past me. “Hey watch where you’re going!” The door to the office was still open.

“Could you remove me from my Biology class? I will do anything!” He pleaded. Was I that unbearable? I didn’t particularly care. The parking lot was empty except for one Dodge Magnum. Immediately I figured that it was Lance’s car.

I got into my car and the smell went away, I left my windows open just a little bit. I drove home as fast as the speed limit would let me.

When I got home, I checked the barn. Lance wasn’t there, I walked away thankful. I slammed the door when I got in. Travis was sitting at the computer.

He looked at me. “Hey Mom left you like six emails, did you have ‘fun’?”

I shook my head. “No not reAly. One girl asked me if we were related. And the stable boys name is Lance.”

He stood up and ran up to me. “What did you talk to him? Did he talk to you? Do you guys have classes together?”

He deserved a slap but I saved it. “No I didn’t talk to him, he didn’t talk to me. We have one class together, happy?” I gave him a lot of sarcasm though.

He left me alone. “Hey if you need help with your homework I’m in the barn.”

I smiled, and went to the computer. My mom left three emails, all of which were open. My mom wrote two, and Ray wrote one to me. Travis was in for it at supper. I read the emails my mom wrote:

Alice,

How are you now? How was the trip? Is your brother bothering you? Do you have any new friends?

xoxo Mom

I typed in response:

Mom,

I am fine. The plane ride was ok, I got the window seat. Ya he read your emails. I guess I have a few. I also have an enemy.

Love you Alice

The other one said:

Alice,

Why haven’t you written back yet?

xoxo Mom

My response was:

Mom,

I don’t have a lot to report ok? Travis only lets me on a few times.

Love you Alice

The email from Ray was unexpected, my mom probably made him write it:

Dearest Alice,
The Mayor of Billings has asked me to build a restaurant in town. I will be around in a couple of months to supervise the construction of the building. I would like to meet your father and brother, so I would enjoy it if you three could come to the grand opening.

Best wishes
Harold

He typed much more than expected. I answered back:

Harold

Thank you very much for your offer! I will tell the pair. It will be nice to have a comfort of NJ here in Montana. I’m not home sick yet, but no doubt I will be in a few months.

Thank you. Alice

I finished typing back and shut the computer down. I went upstairs to tidy up my room, not like it needed it but I had to stay away from the barn. I looked out my window his Magnum wasn’t there. After I tidied my room I went out to the barn. “Travis!” He appeared immediately.

He saluted. “Travis O’Brian reporting for duty, Ma’am!”

I went along with his little game. “Private, where is the stable boy!”

He shook his head. “He called in sick Ma’am!”

I smiled. “As you were, private!”

He nodded and left. Glad that Lance wasn’t there I saddled up Bay Berry. We went for an hour long ride. Saddle sore was starting to get to me. When we got back it was time for supper. Dad got KFC yumm.

Dad started handing out plates. “Hey could you go and get your brother? I think he’s in the barn.”

I turned back through the door, and ran off of the porch. “Hey Travis supper!” I shouted and came back in it was starting to get cold. My dad was leaning on the table. “So Dad how was your day?”

He shrugged. “Ok I guess. How was yours?”

“Oh my god the stable boy Lance, ugh he must have said something about me. I have on class with him.” I rolled my eyes.

“Well then,” Travis walked into the house. “Come on, let’s eat.”

Travis coughed. “It’s gonna rain. I had to cover the hay. He called in sick.” Behind his grin I could tell that he wanted to put Lance’s through a noose.

“Well that’s too bad, Travis. Time to eat take what you want.” He pushed the bucket toward me.

I shrugged and grabbed a drumstick. “Okay.”

Travis grabbed four pieces. “What don’t you and mom and umm.... Arnold. It’s Arnold right? Don’t you guys eat out?”

I laughed. “This is not the way we would eat out; we ate in the high class restaurants. After all Harold built most of the restaurants in town.” I cleared my throat. “Oh and speaking of Harold, he is building a new restaurant in Billings, and he has invited us to the grand opening… When ever that is happening. But its too bad that you haven’t met him Travis, he’s decent.” I pointed to the table. Then I remembered that Travis read through my emails. “But Travis already knew that, right Travis?”

He shrugged, his mouth was full of chicken. So he just nodded.

My dad looked pissed. “TRAVIS! Reading someone else’s mail without their permission is— illegal!”

Again Travis shrugged. I shook my head. “Dummy I even knew that it was illegal, I could press charges. I don’t want to so you’re lucky.”

He swallowed. “Thank you Alice. At least I didn’t get lost in ‘Wonder Land’”

I was chewing so I didn’t answer I waited for my dad to save me. “Travis don’t you start that.” I smiled at my father. “No problem Al.”

I put my plate in the dish washer, and went to tidy my room again. Looking into my closet I realized I didn’t have a lot of clothes. I knew it was time to go shopping. Amy would know where to go. Totally bored I sat on my bed, until the rain came. The rain was comforting. It rained a lot in Jersey. It was something I had grown accustom to. I fell asleep.

The next morning was gloomy. I was in a good mood. The smell of bacon was in the air. I was ready for school. My tummy rumbled. Travis came up the stairs. “Ya Dad she’s up!” I guessed he was to come up to tell me that breakfast was ready. “Good morning miss grump.”

I charged at him. “I’m in a good mood!” I raced down the stairs, straight to the counter and sat on a stool. “Morning Daddy!”

He placed a plate in front of me. “Hello Al, good mood you say. Why is that?”

I smiled. “It rained.”

He looked at me. “Oh. You want some?” He put the frying pan full of bacon in front of me. “You better get your hands in there, before your brother does.”

I looked down, then I heard my so called brother stampeding down the stairs. So before he even got close I took a rather large hand full. “Okay the monster can have his share, I guess.”

I ate the bacon quickly. I looked for my bag, found it with my dad’s help. He kissed me on the forehead and wished me luck on my second day. I started my car, curious to see if Lance would be there today. The thoughts of him were dumb; I knew he didn’t like me. So I knew I had to find away to stay away from him. I thought until my brain hurt, but I could not find away to stay far away from him. I gave up.

The parking lot was almost full by the time I got to school. I went to my first class, Mr. Lee wasn’t there yet. I looked around the classroom, my assigned seat was by Blake. I walked up to him. “Good morning.”

He gave me a nice warm smile. “Hello Alice, how are you this morning?”

I just had to smile back. “I’m good Blake. How are you?”

“Good. So what do you have after this? I have Spanish.”

“Oh,” I had to remember what I had next. “I think I have ELA, ya I do. Then I’ve got Spanish.”

He nodded amused. “Cool, we have a class swap. Hey Alice,”

I looked at him. “Yes?”

“Do you have a cell phone?”

“Ya, why do you?”

He nodded.

“So you’re asking for my number correct?”

“Ya,” He admitted sheepishly.

“Oh okay,” I ripped a piece of paper from my scribbler, and wrote my number down. “Here. Can I have yours?”

“Ya of course,” he too handed me a piece of paper with his number on it.

I smiled and then the bell rang. Class was boring. I was half awake during trig. I assumed that today would be slow. I was correct. ELA wasn’t intriguing as I had hoped. Spanish on the other hand was quite confusing. When Spanish was over, Blake was standing outside of the Spanish room. “Oh hi Blake,”

He smiled. “Sorry I didn’t mean to surprise you.”

“It’s okay.” I shrugged

“Shall we go to the canteen?” he gestured toward to canteen.

“Yes sir!” I skipped to his side.

He giggled. “You’re peppy today.”

I linked my arm with his. “Well get used to it, that’s me!” He gladly skipped with me down the hall. We separated as soon as we skipped through the door.

He rubbed the back of his neck; his face was hot with embarrassment. “W—ell that was interesting.”

I giggled. “Yep! Let’s eat.” Amy was standing in the line. “Hey Amy.”

She looked at me then turned her attention to Blake. “Uh huh. Hi Blake... You look nice today.” She blushed. She focused on me. “Oh hi Alice, when did you get there?”

Blake stepped in. “I walked her here. She has been here the whole time...”

Her face was red. “Oh... Sorry Alice!”

I rolled my eyes. “It’s okay I’m used to being ignored... But thanks anyway...” Blake and I got in line behind her. I picked up a piece of Lasagne, Blake did the same.

When we got to a table Blake pulled my chair out for me, even though I was capable to do it myself. Amy cleared her throat. Blake rushed to her side and pulled out her chair. She smiled at him. He returned to my side and sat down. “Blake, we have gym next right?”

He nodded. “Yep we do.” He cut a piece of Lasagne, and put it in his mouth and chewed thoughtfully. “I think...”

I giggled. Amy wanted in. “Ya you guys have gym. Then we all have Biology together.”

I nodded as I put some Lasagne in my mouth. “Thanks Amy, I didn’t know we all have Biology together. That’s neat.” Biology I immediately thought of Lance. “Hey you guys haven’t seen Lance today... Have you?”

“No, not at all. Why?” Amy was the first to respond.

“He is her lab partner, as I am yours.” He sounded like he didn’t like Amy very much. He wriggled in his seat and he spoke. “Never mind he’s right there.” He pointed in the direction of Lance’s table.

I glanced over to see him smiling. “Oh that’s great.” I rolled eyes.

Blake shrugged. “Well you asked.”

“I know I did Blake.”

“Oh... Sorry.” He looked down.

Amy was totally excluded. “So... What?” She must have thought Blake was looking at her.

He snapped out of a gaze. “Oh nothing. So Alice what are we doing in Phys. Ed?”

“And I would know this why?”

He shrugged. Amy answered for him though. “You guys are doing volleyball, I think.... Yep that’s it!”

He nodded. “Thank you Amy. So Alice, umm the ‘Harvest Moon’ dance is coming up and I was wondering....”

I rolled my eyes I knew he wanted me to go with him but I was terrible of the dance floor. Last time I dance I almost ended up in the E.R. “Yes Blake?”

“Would you go with me...?”

I shook my head. “I’ll have to think about it,”

He grinned. “Oh okay...” The bell rang. “We’re gonna be late for gym!”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I wouldn’t mind.... But then again I don’t want my dad harping on me...” We all got up from the table. “See you in Biology Amy.”

Blake and I walked to gym together. “So Blake....”

He looked at me. “Yes?”

I linked my arm with his. “Have you ever been to a Rodeo?”

He smiled. “Ya, they’re the best.”

“Oh okay, well my dad is going to be riding in the next rodeo in Billings and well... I was wondering if you wanted to go...” A deep dark laugh chuckled behind us.

“Don’t look back. — I would love to go. Your dad is best Bull Rider ever! Wow.” We walked faster I knew Lance was behind us, and it was obvious that Blake didn’t want me to talk to him.

Blake ditched me for the change room. He was waiting for me when I came out. “I still can’t get over the fact that I get to go watch your dad.” He said as I walked up to him. “I have like a man crush on the guy.”

“Hang on you have a crush on him?”

“A man crush!.” He gave me a look. “God its like you’ve never heard of a man crush before.” I rolled my eyes, and walked toward the gym door.

“I was kidding Alice, kidding.” He puppy eyed me.

“Well I didn’t!” He smiled and opened the door. “Thank you Blake.”

Gym was horrible. I pulled a muscle, more like a few. I rushed to get changed, hopping not to make Blake wait for me. I burst through the door. Glad to not see him there I leaned up against the wall. Blake popped out of nowhere.

I put my hand to my heart as soon he jumped out in front of me. “Jeez Blake what in the bloody hell was that for?”

He shrugged. “Well nothing, oh and by the way I got out first.”

I raised an eye brow. “Oh really now?” I glanced at my watch. “Oh were gonna be late for class!”

He rolled his eyes. “So you’re anxious to see that Lance kid, eh?”

I got up off the wall and started to go down the hall. “No,” — Haha right. “I just want to end this discussion.”

“Oh sorry.” I looked back at him he was watching the ground as he walked.

“Come on Blake, let’s go.” I walked back to him and linked his arm. We went to Bio.

When we got to Bio Mr. Simon wasn’t there yet. So I went and sat down in my seat. Lance wasn’t there, I saw Blake sit down. Then I looked over my shoulder, and Lance was sitting in his seat. I wanted to ask him how he got there so fast, but I decided not to. So I could spare my feelings form getting hurt. I looked at him his eyes were cold and dark. A shiver ran up my spine, I looked away. Blake had caught my attention.

“What’s wrong?” Blake asked me.

My eyes widened. The fact that he thought something was wrong was strange. I shrugged while responding. “Nothing just cold...”

He smiled and shrugged off his sweater, Amy looked at him. Her mouth dropped open. “Would you like my sweater? It’s not smelly I promise.” And at that moment Lance laughed a deep dark laugh. It sent more shivers up my spine. We sat the rest of class in silence.

After the bell I watched Lance get up. He moved so fluently. Blake tapped my shoulder.

“Alice can I have my sweater back?” His eyes were kind and gentle. He put his hand out to receive his sweater.

I shook my head to get out of the daze that I was in. “Oh ya sure, thanks.”

He giggled. “No problem. May I walk you to your car?”

I nodded. “That would be nice.”

We left the classroom. As we walked I tended to get lost in my head.

“Alice?” Blake tapped my shoulder.

I snapped out of my current daze. “Uh oh huh what?”

“I guess you weren’t paying attention.”

I shook my head. “You’re right, I wasn’t. So what were you saying?”

He smiled, crinkling his beautiful blue eyes. “Do you know when your dad is riding in Billings?”

“Oh no not yet, oh I should get home and talk to him about it.” Although I thought we were far away from my car I was wrong. We were leaning up against it.

Blake opened up the driver’s side door for me. “Have a safe trip home. Talk to ya later.”

I smiled. “Ok see ya Blake.” He shut the door. I revved up the engine, and started to back out. As I backed out Lance’s dodge whipped around the corner. His head was back against the seat, grinning and laughing. He scared me, he deserved it.

Lance and I raced home. He was only a quarter of a mile ahead of me. I decided to pull up closer to him. That for sure was a bad idea. Lance sped up I looked at the speedometer it read 100 m/h. I stomped on the break. In result the car started fish tailing, scared to death I released the break.

I pulled over to the shoulder of the road, and slowly eased on the break. When the car finally rolled to a halt I put my head on the head rest, and turned the car off. I did all of this to calm my breathing. I looked over at the clock, it read 4:00 p.m., I was supposed to be home now. My Dad was probably starting to worry. I started the car up, and drove off.