The Night When They Arose

Thoughtless Actions

He asked.

He was also calmer since yesterday, and also yesterday his eyes were a deep, deep gray.

“Oh nothing,” I said quickly and looked down at my fingers what were intertwined. I could feel the heat of his stare on my face, as well as the blush that I wore too.

“What are you thinking?” He said as he pulled out of the yard.

“Huh?” I looked up out of the wind shield.

“Well I was curious, why are you blushing?” His eyes were watching my every move.

“Well,” I didn’t even really remember why I was blushing in the first place. “I don’t know.” I said, letting my realization color my tone.

“Oh,” he said as he turned onto the road.

We sat in silence for five minutes, with me being myself; I could stand the quiet and being alone for a long time.

“What are you thinking now?” He asked.

“Nothing really. Just enjoying the quiet.” I looked at him, bad idea on my behalf. My heart decided to stop on me as well as my respiratory system. He was staring straight at me, through my eyes. He looked away. I felt as if I had just been violated.

He inhaled deeply and gurgled. “You like,” ― he swallowed hard ― “the quiet?”

“Yes I don’t mind it, actually let me think some times…” That was close too close. Too close to letting him know what I was thinking.

“And you weren’t thinking now?” He asked through his teeth.

“No I was just That night was the first time that I didn’t sleep at all in Montana. My mind was restless as I thought the whole night away on Lance Barker.

Finally the sun decided to wake up. I got up as well to get ready for school, actually looking forward to it. Once again it was a bad thing. I grabbed my bag that had my shower stuff in it, and doddled off into the washroom.

I had a long steamy shower. I got out and blow dried my hair. School didn’t start for another three hours! I took at least ten minutes to brush my teeth and mouth washing for the first time since Jersey. I decided to skip make-up for today, an odd thing since I had so much time this morning. By the time I was finished my dad just got up, while I was making eggs.

“Morning dad,” I greeted enthusiastically.

“Mmmmm…” He moaned as he rubbed his eyes.

“Would you like some coffee?” I asked.

“Sure, I have to get your brother up, first.”

“Okay, do you think he would like some too?”

He nodded and slugged off to Travis’s room. I grabbed two mugs and filled them with black coffee.

I tended back to my eggs, and then both my brother and dad walked into the kitchen. “Would you boys like eggs with your coffee?”

“Get off the happy train Alice.”

“Love you too Trav!”

“See that’s the positive attitude I need you to have Travis.” My dad slapped Travis on the back. “How’s that coffee doing Alice?”

“Here you go daddy.” I passed him his coffee. “I didn’t know what you wanted in it so I left it black, same with yours Travis.” I said as I passed Travis his coffee.

“Oh you were serious dad.” Travis looked up at our father with a shocked expression across his face.

“I don’t know what’s up with her this morning…” He mumbled to Travis.

I glanced at the clock; I had to be out of the house in ten minutes. Planning went well for this morning. “Well I’m going to school a bit early today…”

“Ya she likes him.” My dad and Travis said at the same time.

I rolled my eyes, and grabbed my jacket, and took off to my car. My dad and Travis were right, I did like him, but I wondered if it was that obvious. I hoped not.

I started up my car, or attempt would be a better word. I looked up from the wheel aggravated. And he was there.

“Good morning Alice.” He said with a large smile on his face.

My hand flew to my heart. “Holey Lance you scared me!”

“Would you like a ride to school this morning?” He asked with a sly grin on his face.

“Umm...” I was completely and utterly shocked. I didn’t know how to speak, I nodded instead of words.

“Good then.” He pushed himself off of my car. My car shifted with a squeak.

I grabbed my stuff and got out of my car. His Magnum was a deep silver color. He opened my door for me, grateful that he did, since my hands were full anyways. “Thanks.” I quivered as I hopped into the passenger seat.

He smiled as he shut my door.

Hmm wonder what he ate.

“So what brought all this up?” I asked as I set my books on my lap.

“Don’t know,” he shrugged.

“Oh,” I looked over at him, he was doing the same. He looked different since the first night I ran into him. His eyes were creepy, but now they were like a golden halo around his pupils.

“What?” He asked.

He was also calmer since yesterday, and also yesterday his eyes were a deep, deep gray.

“Oh nothing,” I said quickly and looked down at my fingers what were intertwined. I could feel the heat of his stare on my face, as well as the blush that I wore too.

“What are you thinking?” He said as he pulled out of the yard.

“Huh?” I looked up out of the wind shield.

“Well I was curious as to why are you blushing?” His eyes were watching my every move.

“Well,” I didn’t even really remember why I was blushing in the first place. “I don’t know.” I said, letting my realization color my tone.

“Oh,” he said as he turned onto the road.

We sat in silence for five minutes, with me being myself; I could stand the quiet and being alone for a long time.

“What are you thinking now?” He asked.

“Nothing really, I’m just enjoying the quiet.” I looked at him, bad idea on my behalf. My heart decided to stop on me as well as my respiratory system. He was staring straight at me, through my eyes. He looked away. I felt as if I had just been violated.

He inhaled deeply and gurgled. “You like,” he swallowed ― hard “the quiet?”

“Yes I don’t mind it, actually lets me think some times…” That was close too close. Too close to letting him know what I was thinking.

“And you weren’t thinking now?” He asked through his teeth.

“No I was just gazing.”

“Oh,” He took a sharp turn to the left, into the school parking lot.

“Ugh!” I moaned.

“What don’t you want to go to school?” He asked again through his teeth. “Tomorrow is the beginning of the weekend.”

“I don’t want the weekend to come!” I rested my head against the headrest.

“Why not?” he asked sounding disappointed.

“Travis…” Some one that was unbelievably annoying.

“He misses you give him a break.” He chuckled.

“So you can actually read minds?” I pondered on the thought, was it actually possible. Probably born that way…

“Yes, with the exception of yours…”

“Hang on Travis misses me?” I suddenly burst.

“Umm yeah,” Lance looked at me with wide confused eyes.

“How odd,”

“Well would you like to be late for class the day before the weekend?”

“Huh? What? Oh.” I gathered my books once more.

Lance grabbed something that I didn’t see (because I wasn’t paying attention), and opened my door for me again .

“Yesterday,” I started. “I told you not to do stuff formally for me…”

He flashed a grin. “You told me not to address you formally, not do things for you.”

“Oh, right.” I mumbled.

“You’ll just have to get used to it, sorry.” He winked.

“Fine,” I sighed.

He had a beige corduroy bag slung over his shoulder; I guessed that was what he picked up when I wasn’t looking.

I wanted to stretch my arms, but they were holding my books to my chest. Due to that I yawned instead of stretching.

“Tired?” He asked.

I nodded; I was extremely tired as I spent the whole night thinking of the beautiful god like creature beside me. “Ya totally I’m spent. I didn’t sleep at all last night.”

“Oh?”

“Yeahh, don’t know why, I just stayed up, I guess.”

He chuckled darkly to himself. “I stayed up late last night too.”

“But I didn’t fall asleep; you make it sound like you did.” I looked up at his face, and into his eyes, he looked down into mine.

“Alice!” Amy shouted from afar.

I snapped out of my trance. “Hey Amy,” I said as she came up to me.

“Have you seen Blake yet today?”

“No sorry, Amy you know Lance right?”

For the first time Amy looked up at Lance, her eyes widened slightly as she realized that I was walking with him. “Oh, hey, Lance.”

“Hello Elizabeth.”

Amy gulped and so did I did he not know her name?

“How do you know my first name?”

“What?” I asked confused.

“Miss Obutala’s first name is Elizabeth, but she prefers to go by her middle name Amy.” Lance rolled his eyes in my direction as he explained to me. How did he expect me to know that Elizabeth is her first name!

“Well she’s my Amy.”

She smiled at me. “I won’t hold that against either of you. ―Lance,” She looked up at him, so did I. “May I steal Alice from you?”

He looked down at me. I was put into a peaceful trance once more, with his hypnotic eyes. “It’s her decision after all, is it not?” He looked at Amy again.

“Oh yes, how rude of me,” She flushed and looked down. “Alice, can I steal you away from Lance?”

“I guess so.” I smiled. I took a step away from Lance and took one to Amy. “See you later Lance.”

“At lunch preferably,” He smiled when I looked at him.

I nodded because I didn’t know what to say. Was this starting to get a little creepy? Maybe.

He nodded once and took off.

“Lance ―Barker?” Amy’s voice trailed off as it went through two octaves.

“What?”

“Lance, Barker.” She gasped. “Is there something going on between you two?”

“Ha no,” I said sternly. “It’s not like that.”

“Oh,” She sounded sad.

We started to walk up the stair case to the main sidewalk. Out of nowhere Blake jumped right in front of the two of us. We both scream startled.

“Good morning girls!” He exclaimed as he brushed himself off.

“Well it was good, till, well ― Hey Blakie Buddy.” I sighed and hugged him.

I heard Amy’s jaw drop with an audible popping sound.

“Hey, chick-a-boo, what's up?” He smiled.

“Lance Barker, that’s what’s up with her.” Amy piped up.

“I’m sorry, I think in need my ears cleaned. ―LANCE BARKER?” Blake barked.

I sighed and put my hand to my eyes to shield me from all the stares that were boring into my face.

“Yup, Lance Barker,”

“Lance?” Blake pulled my hand from my face. “Him?” He pointed to Lance as he walked by.

“Do you not accept the fact that I have more friends than you guys?” I snapped.

“Well ―”

“Do you have a problem with my choice of friends?”

“No I guess not,” Blake shrugged.

Lance had stopped to watch our little scene, as well as a good percentage of the student body.

“You know what I think I’ll walk my self to my classes, thanks, Blake, Amy.” I nodded and stomped up the stone stair case.

Lance chuckled as he walked by me. “What was all of that about?”

I looked at him. “I don’t know,” I said sarcastically. “Would you?”

“No actually, that was all you.”

“Right me the freak.”

He shook his head. “I hear voices and you think you’re the freak, now that’s odd.”

I rolled my eyes and whipped the school doors open.

“I thought you were in a good mood.”

That caught me off guard. I stopped in the hall way. I had to think about it for a minute, he was right I was in a good mood. Until… “So what’s it to you Lance?”

“Nothing really, but it is to your friends.”

“Friends? ―I’ve only been here three days and people are calling themselves my friends?”

“Well,” Lance shrugged. “Then I wouldn’t be your friend would I?”

My eyes widened, he thought we were friends. My heart raced, to get out of my chest. “No I think―”

“You think what?”

“We are, I guess. We do talk more often then anyone else I talk to, and you’ve been to my place.”

“I work for your dad.” He looked at me with flat eyes.

“So at least you offered me a ride to school,”

“Because I know where you live, because I work for your dad,” He started to walk ahead.

“Okay okay I get it.”

He smiled flashing all of his teeth, I shivered. His smile disappeared. “Are you cold Alice?” He asked with too much concern.

I nodded. Were we more than friends I couldn’t help but think so.

The bell rang, late not a good thing. I ran off to my class. Blake was sitting beside me in Trig. “Hey Blake,” I whispered, Mr. Lee was starting the class. “I’m sorry for earlier, I didn’t sleep at all last night.”

He looked at me. “Its okay, Amy is the one you should be apologizing to.”

I nodded. “Kay thanks.” I smiled.

He smiled back.

Trigonometry was annoying. The buzzer rang and I went off to my ELA class, alone. I apologized to Amy, then ELA flew by in less time that Trig did. Amy and I walked to Spanish in silence. Ms Green got us to read a Spanish magazine and that was all that we did in Spanish. When class was dismissed five minutes early I basically ran out of the room and into the cafeteria. I scanned the big open area looking for Lance. He was sitting at the end of the table where his family sat.

One of the two girls said something to Lance, and he turned around and got up. He started to walk towards me. My heartbreak suddenly turned into excitement. He smiled; I wondered if he could hear my heart beat.

“Hello Alice,”

I smiled. “Hi Lance.”

“I hope you don’t mind eating with my family.”

I looked over at them. One of the girls was blonde she was looking at me viciously. “Um, not at all,”

“You sure,”

“Yes, you’ll have to introduce me first.”

He nodded. “Of course, so what are you going to get?”

“Umm I’m not sure exactly, what ever looks good I guess.”

He smiled. “Oh, you know where you can find me.”

I nodded, and then he left. I took some tater tots, and a small Cesar salad, and went off to Lance’s table. I popped a few tater tots into my mouth before I sat down; I only grabbed three. I didn’t see the need for a tray any longer so I set it down on a trashcan. I reached Lance’s table in no time. I looked at him hesitantly, not knowing where to sit.

Lance got up and pulled out a chair for me I sat down with out arguing. He went back to the spot he was sitting in before. “Everyone this is Alice,” He said in a normal speaking voice. I smiled at everyone. The blonde was still staring at me like she wanted to eat me. I didn’t look edible did I?

“Alice, this is Hayley,” Lance gestured to the one of the two girls; not the blonde. Hayley smiled at me I smiled back sheepishly. “And Jackson,” Lance now was pointing at the boy that was sitting beside Hayley. “Robert,” Lance nodded his head towards another boy that sat beside the blonde girl, who was still looking at me like I was something to eat. “And this here,” Lance bumped the blonde girl’s shoulder. “This is Jessica.” The blonde now had a name.

Jessica continued to stare at me like I was something to eat. She mumbled something incoherent to Lance.

Just then Hayley’s face went blank. I gasped. Everyone burst out laughing even Jessica. “Its okay Alice.” Lance comforted. “Hales just tends to see the future every once in a while.”

“Oh, that’s pretty neat.” I smiled.

Hayley came back to life, “Well that was interesting wasn’t it Lance?”

“Very, and it won’t happen.” Lance said. “I’ll make sure of it.” Lance said quietly to himself.

“Jackson, quit it.”

I looked over at Jackson. His eyes were much darker than every one’s. “I don’t mean to, it’s just that,” He inhaled through his nose. “She smells―”

“Oww, Hayley, what was that for,” Jackson yelped when Hayley elbowed him in the ribs.

“Calm down guys, we can let Robert handle it if it gets too far…” Lance vowed.

I shivered terrified to find out what they were talking about. Lance immediately looked at his brother Jackson. “It’s time to get him―”

Jackson was already out of his seat, he walked past me with his face jutting towards the ceiling.

I looked down, ashamed. I had made him move, and I was invited. I took a mouthful of my salad ashamed.

Jessica pushed her chair back with a large squeal. Robert got up as soon as she got up.

My head slumped down towards the table.

“Well, Lance talk to you later.” Hayley said to Lance.

“Ya, catch you later.” He sighed. “So Alice, why so glum,” he asked.

“I made your family leave,” I said into the table.

He laughed. “No, Rob goes anywhere Jess does.”

“But, I made Jackson leave.”

“No, he had some work he had to do before class.”

I lifted my head up off of the table. “Could you stop trying to make me feel better?” I asked out raged.

“Alright,” he said as he leaned back in his chair, as he rolled his eyes.

“Thank you,” my head slumped back down onto the table.

A few silent seconds passed by when a paper airplane stopped on the table between me and Lance. I looked at it morosely.

Lance pushed it towards me. “It’s for you,”

I sighed and sat up. I grabbed the poorly made airplane, and opened it. It was from Amy.

It read:

[font=7]Alice why are you sitting with Lance? I thought you didn’t like him! Why are you so sad? Did he hurt your feelings? REPLY!

“You don’t have a pencil on you do you Lance?” I asked.

“No sorry,”

“Well, then” I stretched and cracked my fingers. “I guess she won’t get a reply until later.”

He smiled. “She won’t like that.”

“Well, who cares,” I asked. The bell rang after I spoke. “Ugh, gym,” I groaned.

Lance cocked an eyebrow. “Well then, I must be off.” He declared as he pushed back his chair.

I got up and walked over to the nearest trash can. I dumped the rest of my uneaten salad into the trash. I stalked off to my gym class.

When I got there Blake was just going into the change room. I ran into the girls change room, desperate to finish before him. I tried to change so fast, I almost fell over putting on my shorts, and I shoved my head through my sleeve. I knew Blake won. By the time I got out Blake was casually leaning up against the wall.

“Howdy stranger,” I greeted him.

“Hey Alice,” he smiled.

“Oh, I haven’t asked my dad when the rodeo was.”

He frowned. “Oh,” he gestured to the gym doors. “Shall we?”

I nodded, and skipped off to the door. The guilt I felt wore off as soon as I saw the volleyball net. I sighed. And I tried to enjoy torture as much as possible.
Gym went by fast, but I knew it was because I wanted to see Lance. He was becoming an addiction. I dressed quickly like earlier; I stuck my head through the sleeve of my long sleeve shirt. I ripped my head out, it made my hair staticy. Before I left the change room I patted my hair with water.

I burst through the door. Blake was not waiting for me this time. I walked quickly almost tripping a few times on my way to Mr. Simon’s class. I quickly took my seat. I waited impatiently in my seat waiting for Lance to come in. He walked smoothly into the room, and gracefully took his seat beside me.

He smiled. “Fidgety are we?”

I wanted to smile to the sound of his voice. “Ha,” I said a little louder than intended. “No,”

His attention snapped to Amy as she walked into the room. I followed his gaze to her. She wasn’t happy. I took the paper airplane from my pocket, and replied like she asked me to.

[font=7]He drove me to school this morning, I was just being polite. Maybe I’ve changed my mind, although after last night… Let’s just say I didn’t fall asleep last night… I scared off his family. Jessica isn’t all that friendly, is that why no one talks to them? No I think he watches out for me.. It’s kinda weird. Sorry I didn’t reply soon enough for you, I didn’t have a pencil or pen on me. Sorry.

I passed the airplane to her as she walked by. She smiled, and took her seat.

I looked over at Lance, he was smiling. “You think I watch out for you?”

“No, just pleasing her, she looks like a gossipy person.”

“You guessed right.”

I smiled; just then class was called to attention. Half way through the class Amy gave me the note back.

[font=7]Oh sorry. So spill! Why didn’t you sleep last night?? Was it kinky? You little old you scared off the whole Barker family?! No, they just keep to themselves. It’s alright I don’t mind, at least you got back to me!

I sighed.

“What’s wrong Alice?” Lance asked me, with a tone of urgency.

“Nothing.” This was going to be personal. “Just don’t read this note please.”

[font=7]Oh jeez, I don’t even know where to begin. First of all it was not kinky, don’t go getting any ideas! Um, I spent the whole night thinking of um.. Lance. Weird I know. Yeahh, I’m just that bad, I can clear a room in a few minutes. Oh, they are nice, especially Hayley very ― optimistic…

She walked by again, and I passed it to her.

“Did you happen to read anything Lance?” I asked hesitantly.

“No, but I did see you write my name. And I did also read her note.”

Not good at all. I knew that notes weren’t a good idea. “Oh,”

“So why didn’t you sleep last night?” He smiled.

I looked down. “Um,” A good excuse, that’s what I needed, and I came up with a lame one. “It didn’t rain last night,”

“And you like the rain,”

“Yes, it’s soothing. It rains a lot in Jersey.”

Just as he opened his mouth to say something Mr. Simon piped up. “I’ll be right back, if it’s not orderly when I come back detention for all of you.” He walked out, he must have had to go to the bathroom by the way he walked.

“Hey Alice,” Amy was standing right beside me.

I jumped in my seat, and more towards Lance. “Oh my, Amy,” I basically screamed.

“Sorry there kiddo, didn’t mean to startle you.”

Lance chuckled. He knew what she was thinking, she must have wanted to scare me, and lucky for her she did. Then he sighed, he sounded angry.

“What were you going to say Lance?” I half turned my body to see his face.

“No Amy is more important.” He looked out the window.

“Thanks, Lance.” Amy said awkwardly. “Here’s the note.” She slid it onto the table. The door opened and closed, and Amy disappeared.

“Now you can tell me what you were going to say, Lance.”

He turned to me. “Why is the rain soothing?”

“I don’t know really,”

“But it did rain last night.”

“Not at our place,”

“Then why was there mud in your yard?”

Caught red handed. I should have paid more attention to the ground, but I didn’t know he would be calling my bluff. “Oh, I guess I didn’t notice.”

He grunted once. “Are you going to reply to Amy?”

“I think so, but promise you won’t read it.”

He smiled and nodded.

[font=7]You were thinking of him! Why? Hayley is weird…

[font=7]Yes, we went horse back riding before the storm, and, I don’t know he got mad at me. Then I had to defend him in front of my dad. Then I got Travis in trouble. I don’t think she is, she’s the most friendly out of all of them.
I sighed and folded up the now horribly creased paper airplane into note format. I wrote Amy on one side and Alice on the other.

“May I look now?” Lance asked, he was facing the window again, but this time he had his hand blocking his view to me.

I giggled. “Yes,”

Amy saw the note and got her lab partner to grab it for her. She did have power I guessed.

“So, you were thinking of me?” He asked as he turned to me.

“Hey!” I accused.

“Remember?” He asked as he tapped his right temple.

I gasped. I had totally forgotten that he could read minds. “Oh, please, please tell me that you’re ignoring her thoughts!” Even my whisper jumped through an octave.

“If you don’t want me to, then I won’t ― anymore.” He looked down at his hands. I felt bad. It wasn’t his fault that he was reading her thoughts. “I was just curious, what were you thinking?”

“Um,” there was no way of getting out of this one.

His eyes became pleading, I noticed how pretty there were, without his eyelashes in the way. He had unusually beautiful eyes. I opened my mouth to talk but I realized I had forgotten how to breathe. I sharply inhaled, he laughed. “So, are you going to tell me?” He battered his eye lashes.

I shook my head to get my thoughts straight.

“No?” He sounded heartbroken.

“No, no, no, I was just clearing my head.” I looked to the front of the class.

“Oh, so you’re going to tell me?”

I nodded, still looking at the smart board.

“So?”

I snuck a look at him. “Well, I was thinking of you.” I stuttered.

“Oh,” he sounded slightly amused.

I turned to face him, he was smiling. He must’ve liked the thought. “Yeahh,” I peaked at the clock on the front wall of the classroom.

“So you stayed up all night thinking about me?” He battered his eyelashes again.

I sighed, and rolled my eyes. “And I probably will again tonight, but” I mumbled through a yawn. “Maybe I’ll actually sleep tonight, with how tired I am.”

“Good, you need sleep,” he placed his hand ever so carefully and stroked once underneath my eye.

I shuddered. His skin was so cold, for crying out loud it was sunny out!

He drew his hand back as quickly as he put it on my face. The bell rang. I gathered up my books. “May I?” He held his hand out for my books.

I smiled. “Sure,” I placed my books in his open hands.

I started walking towards the door. As I took a step over the door jamb my foot snagged it. Just as my face was about to meet the floor I was suddenly on a table. I looked around confused. I should’ve fallen, but I was on a table about nine feet from the door, and my books were next to me. “Lance,” I whispered to myself.

“Yes,”

I turned around. He was standing there cross.

My mouth opened, and I half heartedly pointed at the door. “I was just there?” Again I stuttered my words.

“Yes,” he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“How?” I was so shocked all I could do was stutter!

“Watch were you’re going,”

I nodded. I hopped down from the table, and went to grab my books, but once again they were in his arms.

“I do have to drive you home remember?”

“Yeah, I didn’t forget.” I looked down as I walked towards the door yet again.
gazing.”

“Oh,” He took a sharp turn to the left, into the school parking lot.

“Ugh!” I moaned.

“What don’t you want to go to school?” He asked again through his teeth. “Tomorrow is the beginning of the weekend.”

“I don’t want the weekend to come!” I rested my head against the headrest.

“Why not?” he asked sounding disappointed.

“Travis…” Some one that was unbelievably annoying.

“He misses you give him a break.” He chuckled.

“So you can actually read minds?” I pondered on the thought, was it actually possible. Probably born that way…

“Yes, with the exception of yours…”

“Hang on Travis misses me?” I suddenly burst.

“Umm Yeah…” Lance looked at me with wide confused eyes.

“How odd,”

“Well would you like to be late for class the day before the weekend?”

“Huh what? ―Oh…” I gathered my books once more.

Lance grabbed something that I didn’t see (because I wasn’t paying attention), and opened my door for me again.

“Yesterday,” I started. “I told you not to do stuff formally for me…”

He flashed a grin. “You told me not to address you formally, not do things for you.”

“Oh...”

“You’ll just have to get used to it, sorry.” He winked.

“Fine,” I sighed.

He had a beige corduroy bag slung over his shoulder; I guessed that was what he picked up when I wasn’t looking.

I wanted to stretch my arms, but they were holding my books to my chest. Due to that I yawned instead of stretching.

“Tired?” He asked.

I nodded; I was extremely tired as I spent the whole night thinking of the beautiful god like creature beside me. “Ya totally I’m spent. I didn’t sleep at all last night.”

“Oh?”

“Yeahh. Don’t know why I just stayed up, I guess.”

He chuckled darkly to himself. “I stayed up late last night too.”

“But I didn’t fall asleep; you make it sound like you did.” I looked up at his face, and into his eyes, he looked down into mine.

“Alice!” Amy shouted from afar.

I snapped out of my trance. “Hey Amy,” I said as she came up to me.

“Have you seen Blake yet today?”

“No sorry, Amy you know Lance right?”

For the first time Amy looked up at Lance, her eyes widened slightly as she realized that I was walking with him. “Oh, hey, Lance…”

“Hello Elizabeth.”

Amy gulped and so did I did he not know her name?

“How do you know my first name?”

“What?” I asked confused.

“Miss Obutala’s first name is Elizabeth, but she prefers to go by her middle name Amy.” Lance rolled his eyes in y direction as he explained to me. How did he expect me to know that Elizabeth is her first name!

“Well she’s my Amy.”

She smiled at me. “I won’t hold that against either of you. Lance,” She looked up at him, so did I. “May I steal Alice from you?”

He looked down at me. I was put into a peaceful trance once more, with his hypnotic eyes. “It’s her decision after all, is it not?” He looked at Amy again.

“Oh yes, how rude of me,” She flushed and looked down. “Alice, can I steal you away from Lance?”

“I guess so.” I smiled. I took a step away from Lance and took one to Amy. “See you later Lance.”

“At lunch preferably,” He smiled when I looked at him.

I nodded because I didn’t know what to say. Was this starting to get a little creepy? Maybe.

He nodded once and took off.

“Lance ―Barker?” Amy’s voice trailed off as it went through two octaves.

“What?”

“Lance, Barker.” She gasped. “Is there something going on between you two?”

“Ha no,” I said sternly. “It’s not like that.”

“Oh,” She sounded sad.

We started to walk up the stair case to the main sidewalk. Out of nowhere Blake jumped right in front of the two of us. We both scream startled.

“Good morning girls!” He exclaimed as he brushed himself off.

“Well it was good, till, well ― Hey Blakie Buddy.” I sighed and hugged him.

I heard Amy’s jaw drop with an audible popping sound.

“Hey, chick-a-boo, what's up?” He smiled.

“Lance Barker, that’s what’s up with her.” Amy piped up.

“I’m sorry, I think in need my ears cleaned. ―LANCE BARKER!?” Blake barked.

I sighed and put my hand to my eyes to shield me from all the stares that were boring into my face.

“Yup, Lance Barker,”

“Lance?” Blake pulled my hand from my face. “Him?” He pointed to Lance as he walked by.

“Do you not accept the fact that I have more friends than you guys?” I snapped.

“Well ―”

“Do you have a problem with my choice of friends?”

“No I guess not,” Blake shrugged.

Lance had stopped to watch our little scene, as well as a good percentage of the student body.

“You know what I think I’ll walk my self to my classes, thanks, Blake, Amy.” I nodded and stomped up the stone stair case.

Lance chuckled as he walked by me. “What was all of that about?”

I looked at him. “I don’t know,” I said sarcastically. “Would you?”

“No actually, that was all you.”

“Right me the freak.”

He shook his head. “I hear voices and you think you’re the freak, now that’s odd.”

I rolled my eyes and whipped the school doors open.

“I thought you were in a good mood.”

That caught me off guard. I stopped in the hall way. I had to think about it for a minute, he was right I was in a good mood. Until… “So what’s it to you Lance?”

“Nothing really, but it is to your friends.”

“Friends? ―I’ve only been here three days and people are calling themselves my friends?”

“Well,” Lance shrugged. “Then I wouldn’t be your friend would I?”

My eyes widened, he thought we were friends. My heart raced, to get out of my chest. “No I think―”

“You think what?”

“We are, I guess. We do talk more often then anyone else I talk to, and you’ve been to my place.”

“I work for your dad.” He looked at me with flat eyes.

“So at least you offered me a ride to school,”

“Because I know where you live, because I work for your dad,” He started to walk ahead.

“Okay okay I get it.”

He smiled flashing all of his teeth, I shivered. His smile disappeared. “Are you cold Alice?” He asked with too much concern.

I nodded. Were we more than friends I couldn’t help but think so.

The bell rang, late not a good thing. I ran off to my class. Blake was sitting beside me in Trig. “Hey Blake,” I whispered, Mr. Lee was starting the class. “I’m sorry for earlier, I didn’t sleep at all last night.”

He looked at me. “It’s okay, Amy is the one you should be apologizing to.”

I nodded. “Kay thanks.” I smiled.

He smiled back.

Trigonometry was annoying. The buzzer rang and I went off to my ELA class, alone. I apologized to Amy, then ELA flew by in less time that Trig did. Amy and I walked to Spanish in silence. Ms Green got us to read a Spanish magazine and that was all that we did in Spanish. When class was dismissed five minutes early I basically ran out of the room and into the cafeteria. I scanned the big open area looking for Lance. He was sitting at the end of the table where his family sat.

One of the two girls said something to Lance, and he turned around and got up. He started to walk towards me. My heartbreak suddenly turned into excitement. He smiled; I wondered if he could hear my heart beat.

“Hello Alice,”

I smiled. “Hi Lance.”

“I hope you don’t mind eating with my family.”

I looked over at them. One of the girls was blonde she was looking at me viciously. “Um, not at all,”

“You sure,”

“Yes, you’ll have to introduce me first.”

He nodded. “Of course, so what are you going to get?”

“Umm I’m not sure exactly, what ever looks good I guess.”

He smiled. “Oh, you know where you can find me.”

I nodded, and then he left. I took some tater tots, and a small Cesar salad, and went off to Lance’s table. I popped a few tater tots into my mouth before I sat down; I only grabbed three. I didn’t see the need for a tray any longer so I set it down on a trashcan. I reached Lance’s table in no time. I looked at him hesitantly, not knowing where to sit.

Lance got up and pulled out a chair for me I sat down with out arguing. He went back to the spot he was sitting in before. “Everyone this is Alice,” He said in a normal speaking voice. I smiled at everyone. The blonde was still staring at me like she wanted to eat me. I didn’t look edible did I?

“Alice, this is Hayley,” Lance gestured to the one of the two girls; not the blonde. Hayley smiled at me I smiled back sheepishly. “And Jackson,” Lance now was pointing at the boy that was sitting beside Hayley. “Edward,” Lance nodded his head towards another boy that sat beside the blonde girl, who was still looking at me like I was something to eat. “And this here,” Lance bumped the blonde girl’s shoulder. “This is Jessica.” The blonde now had a name.

Jess continued to stare at me like I was something to eat. She mumbled something incoherent to Lance.

Just then Hayley’s face went blank. I gasped. Everyone burst out laughing even Jessica. “It’s okay, Ali.” Lance comforted. “Hales just tends to see the future every once in a while.”

“Oh, that’s pretty neat.” I smiled.

Hayley came back to life, “Well that was interesting wasn’t it Lance?”

“Very, and it won’t happen.” Lance said. “I’ll make sure of it.” Lance said quietly to himself.

“Jackson, quit it.”

I looked over at Jackson. His eyes were much darker than every one’s. “I don’t mean to, it’s just that,” He inhaled through his nose. “She smells―”

“Oww, Hayley, what was that for,” Jackson yelped when Hayley elbowed him in the ribs.

“Calm down guys, we can let Edward handle it if it gets too far…” Lance vowed.

I shivered terrified to find out what they were talking about. Lance immediately looked at his brother Jackson. “It’s time to get him―”

Jackson was already out of his seat, he walked past me with his face jutting towards the ceiling.

I looked down, ashamed. I had made him move, and I was invited. I took a mouthful of my salad ashamed.

Jessica pushed her chair back with a large squeal. Edward got up as soon as she got up.

My head slumped down towards the table.

“Well, Lance talk to you later.” Hayley said to Lance.

“Ya, catch you later.” He sighed. “So Alice, why so glum,” he asked.

“I made your family leave,” I said into the table.

He laughed. “No, Edward goes anywhere Jess does.”

“But, I made Jackson leave.”

“No, he had some work he had to do before class.”

I lifted my head up off of the table. “Could you stop trying to make me feel better?” I asked out raged.

“Alright,” he said as he leaned back in his chair, as he rolled his eyes.

“Thanks,” my head slumped back down onto the table.

A few silent seconds passed by when a paper airplane stopped on the table between me and Lance. I looked at it morosely.

Lance pushed it towards me. “It’s for you,”

I sighed and sat up. I grabbed the poorly made airplane, and opened it. It was from Amy.

It read:

Alice why are you sitting with Lance? I thought you didn’t like him! Why are you so sad? Did he hurt your feelings? REPLY!

“You don’t have a pencil on you do you Lance?” I asked.

“No sorry,”

“Well, then” I stretched and cracked my fingers. “I guess she won’t get a reply until later.”

He smiled. “She won’t like that.”

“Well, who cares,” I asked. The bell rang after I spoke. “Ugh, gym,” I groaned.

Lance cocked an eyebrow. “Well then, I must be off.” He declared as he pushed back his chair.

I got up and walked over to the nearest trash can. I dumped the rest of my uneaten salad into the trash. I stalked off to my gym class.

When I got there Blake was just going into the change room. I ran into the girls change room, desperate to finish before him. I tried to change so fast, I almost fell over putting on my shorts, and I shoved my head through my sleeve. I knew Blake won. By the time I got out Blake was casually leaning up against the wall.

“Howdy stranger,” I greeted him.

“Hey Ali,” he smiled.

“”Oh, you can come to the concert, by the way.”

His smile got wider. “Sweet,” he gestured to the gym doors. “Shall we?”

I nodded, and skipped off to the door. The good mood Blake put me in wore off as soon as I saw the volleyball net. I sighed. And I tried to enjoy torture as much as possible.
Gym went by fast, but I knew it was because I wanted to see Lance. He was becoming an addiction. I dressed quickly like earlier; I stuck my head through the sleeve of my long sleeve shirt. I ripped my head out, it made my hair static-y. Before I left the change room I patted my hair with water.

I burst through the door. Blake was not waiting for me this time. I walked quickly almost tripping a few times on my way to Mr. Simon’s class. I quickly took my seat. I waited impatiently in my seat waiting for Lance to come in. He walked smoothly into the room, and gracefully took his seat beside me.

He smiled. “Fidgety are we?”

I wanted to smile to the sound of his voice. “Ha,” I said a little louder than intended. “No,”

His attention snapped to Amy as she walked into the room. I followed his gaze to her. She wasn’t happy. I took the paper airplane from my pocket, and replied like she asked me to.

He drove me to school this morning, I was just being polite. Maybe I’ve changed my mind, although after last night… Let’s just say I didn’t fall asleep last night… I scared off his family. Jessica isn’t all that friendly, is that why no one talks to them? No I think he watches out for me.. It’s kinda weird. Sorry I didn’t reply soon enough for you, I didn’t have a pencil or pen on me. Sorry.

I passed the airplane to her as she walked by. She smiled, and took her seat.

I looked over at Lance, he was smiling. “You think I watch out for you?”

“No, just pleasing her, she looks like a gossipy person.”

“You guessed right.”

I smiled; just then class was called to attention. Half way through the class Amy gave me the note back.

Oh sorry. So spill! Why didn’t you sleep last night?? Was it kinky? You little old you scared off the whole Barker family?! No, they just keep to themselves. It’s alright I don’t mind, at least you got back to me!

I sighed.

“What’s wrong Alice?” Lance asked me, with a tone of urgency.

“Nothing.” This was going to be personal. “Just don’t read this note please.”

Oh jeez, I don’t even know where to begin. First of all it was not kinky, don’t go getting any ideas! Um, I spent the whole night thinking of um.. Lance…… weird I know. Yeahh, I’m just that bad, I can clear a room in a few minutes. Oh, they are nice, especially Hayley very ― optimistic…

She walked by again, and I passed it to her.

“Did you happen to read anything Lance?” I asked hesitantly.

“No, but I did see you write my name. And I did also read her note.”

Not good at all. I knew that notes weren’t a good idea. “Oh,”

“So why didn’t you sleep last night?” He smiled.

I looked down. “Um,” A good excuse, that’s what I needed, and I came up with a lame one. “It didn’t rain last night,”

“And you like the rain,”

“Yes, it’s soothing. It rains a lot in Jersey.”

Just as he opened his mouth to say something Mr. Simon piped up. “I’ll be right back, if it’s not orderly when I come back detention for all of you.” He walked out, he must have had to go to the bathroom by the way he walked.

“Hey Ally,” Amy was standing right beside me.

I jumped in my seat, and more towards Lance. “Oh my, Amy,” I basically screamed.

“Sorry there kiddo, didn’t mean to startle you.”

Lance chuckled. He knew what she was thinking, she must have wanted to scare me, and lucky for her she did. Then he sighed, he sounded angry.

“What were you going to say Lance?” I half turned my body to see his face.

“No Amy is more important.” He looked out the window.

“Thanks, Lance.” Amy said awkwardly. “Here’s the note.” She slid it onto the table. The door opened and closed, and Amy disappeared.

“Now you can tell me what you were going to say, Lance.”

He turned to me. “Why is the rain soothing?”

“I don’t know really,”

“But it did rain last night.”

“Not at our place,”

“Then why was there mud in your yard?”

Caught red handed. I should have paid more attention to the ground, but I didn’t know he would be calling my bluff. “Oh, I guess I didn’t notice.”

He grunted once. “Are you going to reply to Amy?”

“I think so, but promise you won’t read it.”

He smiled and nodded.

You were thinking of him! Why? Hayley is weird…

Yes, we went horse back riding before the storm, and, I don’t know he got mad at me. Then I had to defend him in front of my dad. Then I got Travis in trouble. I don’t think she is, she’s the most friendly out of all of them.
I sighed and folded up the now horribly creased paper airplane into note format. I wrote Amy on one side and Alice on the other.

“May I look now?” Lance asked, he was facing the window again, but this time he had his hand blocking his view to me.

I giggled. “Yes,”

Amy saw the note and got her lab partner to grab it for her. She did have power I guessed.

“So, you were thinking of me?” He asked as he turned to me.

“Hey!” I accused.

“Remember?” He asked as he tapped his right temple.

I gasped. I had totally forgotten that he could read minds. “Oh, please, please tell me that you’re ignoring her thoughts!” Even my whisper jumped through an octave.

“If you don’t want me to, then I won’t ― anymore.” He looked down at his hands. I felt bad. It wasn’t his fault that he was reading her thoughts. “I was just curious, what were you thinking?”

“Um,” there was no way of getting out of this one.

His eyes became pleading, I noticed how pretty there were, without his eyelashes in the way. He had unusually beautiful eyes. I opened my mouth to talk but I realized I had forgotten how to breathe. I sharply inhaled, he laughed. “So, are you going to tell me?” He battered his eye lashes.

I shook my head to get my thoughts straight.

“No?” He sounded heartbroken.

“No, no, no, I was just clearing my head.” I looked to the front of the class.

“Oh, so you’re going to tell me?”

I nodded, still looking at the smart board.

“So?”

I snuck a look at him. “Well, I-I-I-I was thinking of you.” I stuttered.

“Oh,” he sounded slightly amused.

I turned to face him, he was smiling. He must’ve liked the thought. “Yeahh,” I peaked at the clock on the front wall of the classroom.

“So you stayed up all night thinking about me?” He battered his eyelashes again.

I sighed, and rolled my eyes. “And I probably will again tonight, but” I mumbled through a yawn. “Maybe I’ll actually sleep tonight, with how tiered I am.”

“Good, you need sleep,” he placed his hand ever so carefully and stroked once underneath my eye.

I shuddered. His skin was so cold, for crying out loud it was sunny out!

He drew his hand back as quickly as he put it on my face. The bell rang. I gathered up my books. “May I?” He held his hand out for my books.

I smiled. “Sure,” I placed my books in his open hands.

I started walking towards the door. As I took a step over the door jamb my foot snagged it. Just as my face was about to meet the floor I was suddenly on a table. I looked around confused. I should’ve fallen, but I was on a table about nine feet from the door, and my books were next to me. “Lance,” I whispered to myself.

“Yes,”

I turned around. He was standing there cross.

My mouth opened, and I half heartedly pointed at the door. “I-I-I was j-j-just there?”

“Yes,” he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“H-h-h-how,” I stuttered.

“Watch were you’re going,”

I nodded. I hopped down from the table, and went to grab my books, but once again they were in his arms.

“I do have to drive you home remember?”

“Yeah, I didn’t forget.” I looked down as I walked towards the door yet again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Holidays!