The Night When They Arose

Disaster

The car was quiet as we pulled out of the parking lot.

“I’m sorry I was rude back there.” Lance said quietly.

“No,” I shook my head. “You were right, I don’t watch where I’m going enough, I could kill myself that way.”

“Or with me,” Lance said so low I had to strain to hear it.

“Do you have any homework?”

He shook his head. “No. Do you?”

“No,” I sighed.

“You don’t sound too happy about that.”

“I’m not, now I have spare time on my hands.” I looked out the window.

Through the reflection of the glass I could see his eyebrows rise. “Oh, ― you could help me with the chores if you want, I could use some company.”

I looked at him now. “Um, sure, if that’s what you want.”

He nodded, swallowed, and smiled. “I would very much so like it if you helped me.”

“Okay I will then,” I smiled.

His smile got larger. Just then his eyes widened.

“Lance?” I stared at him. I noticed that he was ripping both of our seat belts off.

He wrapped his arms around me, and opened my door. He thrust us both out of his car, which was still speeding down the road, as a large semi hit his car. We both tumbled down the side of the road into the ditch. The semi now veered off towards us. I didn’t even have time to look at his face. He stuffed me into his arms, and moved somewhere. He set me on the ground, his eyes concerned. Then he went over to the semi, I couldn’t even see him, but he was there, helping the semi driver.

His eyes which were gold before we got into his car were now as black as night.

The semi driver had a cut all along his face; that went down his neck, and stopped at his shoulder. As Lance pulled him out of the semi I noticed that he had a beer bottle in one hand.

I realized that I should be dead. Lance and I should be dead. What happened?

I started for my cell phone, to call 911. Then he was beside me, he snatched away my cell phone without a word. Mad I started to trudge in the general direction of my home.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He grabbed my arm.

“Home,” I jerked against his grip.

“No you’re not, come on, we have to get to my car.” He sighed.

I guessed we had to make it look like we were in the accident. “What, do we have to put scrapes on our faces? ―What will our story be?”

Lance looked down, something was wrong.

“He’s dead isn’t he?”

“Almost, I have to call my father.”

Since my phone was already in his hands. “Well use mine then, since you already have it, it makes sense.”

He nodded. “But first we have to get over to my car, and make it look like we bailed just in time.”

I nodded, and started walking.

Lance broke out into a run in front of me. I tried to catch up. I reached the highway, and crossed. Lance was already at his car. I slugged over to the car. “What will you do about your car?” I asked.

“I have two more at home.” He was inside of the car.

“Really,” my voice went through an octave. “How much is my dad paying you? Cause like seriously if you have three cars, then I want to work for him.”

He chuckled darkly. “My father just happens to be one talented doctor remember?”

“No,”

He flipped his phone open, and dialled a number, swiftly. “Daniel, there’s been a car crash. … No I was in it. … Yes, Hayley told you right, ― she’s safe too.” He looked at me. “Maybe you could check her out, she looks kind of pale.” He muffled the speaker. “Are you okay? ― I’m sorry I never got the chance to ask.”

I motioned my hand to make him continue.

“Yes she’s good.” He said as he removed his hand. “But the man in the other vehicle is not so fortunate; could you send a team out here? … Alright, we’ll stay put, it’s not like she I mean we can’t go anywhere ― Yeah, I’m down to two.” He smiled now. He looked up at me once more, and closed his phone.

“Do we really have to stay here?”

He nodded solemnly.

“So, you could read that semi driver’s mind huh?” I asked flipping my hair out if my face.

Lance’s eyes turned solid, like he was in danger. From the look on his face I thought that something was coming at us.

I looked around. “What’s wrong?”

“Stay still,” he cautioned.

“Why?”

“Just don’t move, unless you have a death wish.”

Why was there something behind me, which could kill me? No there wasn’t anything. Just then I heard the wailing of siren. I looked behind me from the corner of my eye, I couldn’t see anything dangerous, or that was a hazard.

A sleek black car came up towards us. Was this the danger he was speaking of? No it possibly couldn’t be. The driver pulled over onto the other lane’s shoulder, closest to us.

He got out of his car. “Lance, is every thing alright?”

He jutted his chin in the direction of the semi driver.

“Oh, you were right.” Dr. Barker said as he scanned over the scene. “Do you two need a ride anywhere?”

I opened my mouth then closed it, I wanted to know how he got both of us out of the car so fast .

“I think that we should go with you to the hospital, I think she hit her head on a rock.” Lance looked determinedly into his father’s eyes.

He nodded, and then someone from the team waved him over to the almost dead semi driver. He nodded to the guy and diverted his attention back to us, or at least Lance.

“I will take you both back, in my car.” And then he left.

“How―” I started to say, but Lance cut me off.

“I’m pretty sure you hit your head.”

“Yeah, right…” I rolled my eyes. “You would’ve too.”

He rolled his eyes this time. “Yeah, but, you’re more fragile than I am.”

I looked at him incredulously. “And what does that mean?”

“I mean, you look fragile.” He told me as his eyes widened.

I sighed. I thought things were going to be different with Lance now, but I knew that they weren’t going to change. “I’m walking home.” I said angrily, and stomped off in the direction of my house.

Now Lance sighed. “Daniel may I use your car to drop Alice at her home?” He shouted to his father.

Dr. Barker replied with a nod.

Lance got up from his car seat, which was inside his split car. “Come on Alice.” Lance started walking towards the Doctor’s car.

I slugged along behind him. “I’d rather walk I think, I don’t trust your driving one-hundred percent.”

He just nodded as he got to his father’s car. “Yeah, well like I care.”

I shot him a glance. He smiled and apologized. “I’m truly sorry Miss O’Brian.” He addressed me mockingly.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever Lance,” I got into the car. I stared out the window, with my arms crossed. I was going to get answers, whether he liked it or not.

“What’s the matter Alice?” He asked after a minute of silence.

“Why do you think something is wrong?” I accused. “Didn’t I just tell you before all of that” I waved my hands dramatically. “Happened that I liked the silence?”

He nodded thoughtfully. “I guess you’re right.”

“So, how did we escape that so fast?” I asked as I turned to face him. Whether he likes it or not, I reminded myself.

He looked at me straight in the eye since the little disaster. “You did hit your head didn’t you?”

My mouth found its way to gape open. “What did you just say?” I stuttered.

“You hit your head, it’s obvious.” He said to me. “I should take you back to Daniel.” He said to himself.

“There is nothing wrong with me Lance!” I basically screamed.

“I’m not deaf you know.” He snapped at me.

I sank back in my seat. “I didn’t say you were.” I muttered to myself. “But there’s nothing wrong with me.” I said in a conversational tone.

“Oh, really,” he looked at me again, but not in the eye. “Since when did you have a medical degree?” He asked sarcastically.

“Your mama,” I was sick of his little game.

We both stared at each other for a short minute, and then we both glared out our windows.

He slowly drove into my yard. He got out before I could undo my seat belt, which made me wonder if he ever wore a seat belt in the first place. He opened my door while I stewed it over.

I managed a sigh, and got out of his car. “I’m really sorry about your cat.”

“My cat,” he asked bewildered.

I shook my head. “Car, I meant car. I’m sorry about your car .”

He chuckled, and I bushed. “Would you like me to pick you up tomorrow?”

“Umm, isn’t tomorrow Saturday?”

He shook his head now in realization. “I guess so. Well then, sleep well Alice.”

“Yeah, I hope you sleep well too Lance.”

He chuckled to himself. He leaned forward, and stroked my cheek bone. It felt like fire where his skin touched mine. He ran over to the other side of Daniel’s car, and sped off.

I raised my hand to touch the area that he had. I had goose bumps. I smiled at the fact that he touched me, not like I wanted him to, but it was a show of affection, well to me at least. Tonight would most likely be another sleepless night.

I had a piece of toast before I went to bed to make sure that I would fall asleep. I drowsily climbed the stairs. I was glad that my door was open; I was just too lazy at the moment. For the first time in awhile I didn’t even bother to make my bed. That on its own was a total shocker. It was shockingly hot in my bedroom. I lurched over to the window, and pushed it half way open. The cool breeze felt good against my skin. Montana was just too hot compared to New Jersey. I slugged over to my bed. I flopped over on my tummy onto my bed. I left the covers off, too hot.

Sleep was not coming easily, but it was coming. After a bit I pulled the covers over top of me, and then I fell asleep.

I was having a strange dream, not exactly a nightmare, not exactly a good dream. Lance was standing there I was running to him, but I never got any closer to him. I looked behind me and a semi was on my tail. I looked forwards again; Lance wasn’t there. I looked behind me, again, the huge semi got larger and I froze in place, like my adrenaline rush wore off. Just as I was building up a scream, Lance pushed me away, and braced himself against the semi. Then I jolted awake with a scream.

My face was covered in sweat. The covers were off and my window was all the way open. The sun shone in through my window it had to have been close to noon, for my window faced south, and the sun was almost directly in front of my window. It was going to be a long day.