The Night When They Arose

Surprise

I did not want to wake up one single bit, but I lurched out of my bed. I looked around for my clock; it was under my shirt that I flung carelessly across my room. It was 11:36. I felt beyond refreshed, if that was even possible.

I skipped over to my window, with a smile on my face. I leaned out the window, breathing in the fresh clean sunny air. I scanned the yard for something to do later on. And then it hit me, I was so caught off guard I forgot how to breathe for a mere second.

He was in the stable sweeping the floors. I could barely hear the sound of the bristles against the concrete. He smiled and winked at me. Then I realized that I was wearing a thin mahogany ribbed tank top, and bootie shorts. But I didn’t care.

“Hey Lance!” I shouted. He stopped sweeping and folded his hands on top of the brooms stick and rested his chin on top of his hands. I waved at him to come to the house. It looked like he sighed. He fell off of the broom, with a smile on his face. He started walking towards the house.

I quickly searched for some jeans. I couldn’t find any, so I made do with brown sweats. I quickly took off my shorts and threw them on to my bed. I pulled my legs through my sweats ―they were soft against my legs.

I ran out of my room. I could tell that all the windows and doors would be open too, because of the weather. It felt like a warm summer morning.

I jumped down the stair case. In two leaps I was on the ground. I looked down with a sudden adrenaline rush.

“Hyper this morning are we?”

I smiled with a sigh. “Morning,”

“Hi,” he said flatly.

I stood up straight to see his face. His eyes were a beautiful stunning gold. I gasped.

“What?”

“Nothing,” I put my hand on the side of my head. “Did you―” I cut myself off. I didn’t want to go too far. “Umm finish your barn work?” I asked, not really understanding why.

“Yes. Actually I wanted to take you somewhere, if that’s alright with you.” He smiled.

I shrugged. “No, I don’t mind. When do you want to go?”

“Well I’d like to go today.”

“Oh,” Dad would not like it. “Umm, actually maybe like later on in the week.”

He nodded. “Well, I guess when your father comes home I won’t be here.”

“What do you mean?” I asked suddenly sounding desperate. I knew I couldn’t stay away from him. It was like a magnetic pull towards him, that I couldn’t resist.

“I’m done for the day.” His face smoothed out from the smile he was wearing, in to a sudden mask of pain.

“Oh,” my face was hot.

“It’s hot today isn’t it?” He smiled again.

He misinterpreted the sweat that was on my forehead. I nodded.

“Would you like to go out for Ice Cream?”

I got giddy then. I loved Ice Cream. My smile answered his question.

“I’ll be here at one alright?” I nodded. “Bye.” And then he left.

I walked into the kitchen, and started making my lunch. I grabbed a frying pan and put it on the front element on the stove top, and cranked it on medium.

I skipped around the kitchen singing to myself as I got the ingredients for an omelette.

“Well this is something,”

As like the first time I came home and was in the fridge looking for an apple I conked my head on the top part of the fridge when Travis scared me.

“Travis!” I squealed, as I rubbed the back of my head.

“What I didn’t do anything.”

“Ha yeah ri―” but he didn’t, “no I guess you’re right.” I grabbed two cheese slices and some green onions, and went over to the counter.

“What are you making?”

“Just a vegetarian omelette and you can’t have any.” I said as I pointed a knife at him.

“Well I didn’t want any.”

“Good,” I nodded as I started chopping the onions. I noticed that something smelt off. I looked over to the element. The frying pan was smoking. “Whoah this is not the time to light up little buddy!” I rambled, as I rushed over and turned the element off. I moved the pan off of the element before the smoke detector went off. Just the door slammed. I whirled around to see Lance there.

His eyes were huge. He glanced at me then my brother with his bush baby eyes. Then he stormed out. Maybe I’d bring it up later.

I looked at my brother who was rolling his eyes. “What were you thinking?” I asked him as I grabbed two eggs from the fridge.

“Well first I was thinking that the house was going to burn down. Then I was killer confused when you said the lighting up little buddy thing... That was creepy.”

So that’s what set him off. He thought I was burning down the house. Silly Travis, Lance thinking I was burning down the house, all thanks to him.

“Yeah well I thought it was funny.” I snapped as I cracked the eggs into the some what cooled frying pan. I put the pan back on to the pan and cranked it to nine o’clock on the dial.

“Why did he burst in here anyways?” Travis asked after a minute of silence.

“Don’t ask me it’s not like I can read his mind.”I snapped again as I put the cheese and onions on one half of the round disc of eggs. I flipped over the bare half and took the pan off the element, and turned the element off as well.

“Tisk tisk snappy much,”

“Butt out of it,” I grumbled. I skipped over to the cupboard, and grabbed a plate, and set it down on the counter beneath the cupboard. I went into the cutlery drawer and grabbed a fork. I skipped back over to the stove top and grabbed the spatula and the frying pan and walked over to the counter.

I got the unwilling omelette out of the pan using unnecessary force. I motioned to put the frying pan on Travis’s hand. “What the hell Alice! Have you gone insane?!”

I shook my head. “No, but you’ll make me insane.” I said as I put the pan in the sink.

I retreated to my plate and sat on one of the bar stools beside my brother. “Here, have a bite.” I shoved the plate towards him.

He smiled. “I love how you don’t keep your word when it comes to hunger.” He grabbed my fork and had a bite, with out blowing on it to cool it off. “Ouch. Damn thing is really hot, holey shit! That’s hot holey shit!” He bounced off of the bar stool and started bounding up and down.

I shook my head, as he danced. “Idiot,” I said as I took a bite. I chewed and swallowed. “What do you mean ‘that’s hot’? It’s not even steaming.” I rolled my eyes.

“Travis what are you doing?” My dad asked.

“Morning Daddy,”

“Hey baby girl.” He greeted me. He walked over and kissed me in the back of the head. “Either of you seen Lance?”

Travis was still jumping around like an idiot when I turned to answer my father. “Okay, Lance is done for the day.” I looked over at Travis. “And Travis well, Travis is just being Travis.”

“What did he do?” My dad barked a laugh.

“HOT!” Travis screamed and ran to the fridge. He grabbed the community drinking glass from the top rack, and chugged it.

“He had a bite of my omelette.” I smiled and motioned for my dad to have a bite.

“Travis has a sensitive mouth honey.” He said as he cut a rather large piece of my omelette and shoved it into his mouth.

“Hey!”

He smiled. “But, you are right. Travis you baby.”

Travis was glaring at me. “I had the first bite and it was hot.” He said as he trudged outside.

“Daddy,” He looked at me and I continued. “Umm, I’m going out later is that alright?”

“Of course it is, just be back before supper. I want to go out and celebrate you comin’ home.”

I nodded. Of course he would want to celebrate, if he truly missed me. I looked at the clock. I only had an hour and a half to get ready. I ate quickly. I should have agreed to two o’clock. One was just too early. I got up still chewing my last mouthful and put my plate and fork into the dish washer.

“Are you in a rush Alice?” My dad asked as I shoved by him.

“Mhmm,” I nodded with my mouth still full. I bolted up the stairs, and hopped into the shower. The shower cooled me off, just a little bit. I ran into my room not bothering to wrap my hair into a towel. I peeled off my robe, and got dressed. I chose jean short shorts, and a lime green tank top. I looked at the clock. I had forty-five more minutes. With a high I sat out on the porch swing, and waited for Lance.