Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 13: No Credit?!

Jump-ranking to the Aequitas rank...
I’d lain down on my bed, thinking about this so-called genius, Darvien.
I wasn't going to lie; it bothered me. Actually, a lot of what this mission consisted of nagged the hell out of me.
For instance...

Missions were put into special levels, and according to one's rank status, they were selected to do different missions of ranging levels. And if you were considered strong enough, you went on mission combos. The missions were ranked either high or low, and in numbered order of 1~10, easiest to the toughest.

Low Class
1. Scanning
2. Patrol
3. Data
4. Investigation
5. Messenger

High Class
6. Tracking
7. Spy/High-Risk patrol
8. Erase
9. Hunts
10. Retrieval/Rescue
11. Eliminations


All were given numbers and in the end, accomplished or failed, it all ended up in your records. This mission had NO rankings so therefore, we won't receive any credit for it...
That pissed me off just a tad.

I sat up, looking around at my room. After we left the tavern, we all decided to resume our discussion in my living quarters, just because mine was the closest and for the privacy. Ava was sitting cross-legged on the floor, Zavius was leaning against the wall and Sarvwen was sitting in one of my comfort lounge seaters. We had just finished the no-credit part, and everything seemed to die down...

I heard Ava sigh yet again.
"Guys, be reasonable. We shouldn't be doing missions for the soul purpose of getting the credits."

Ugh. I know, I know. I hate it when she's right---which was almost always...
It wasn't really the fact that I wouldn't get the mission recorded into my records, it was the fact that I felt like I was still being babied that got to me.

Groaning, I straightened up.
"Well I knew that. Okay, well, we'll have to do the mission anyway; it's not like they were giving us a choice, anyhow. Just answer one thing for me." I said, directly at Ava.
She looked at me with confusion.
"If you didn't have a problem with the mission, why are we just sitting here?" she said, sounding a bit annoyed.
"I never said I had a problem; it actually sounds kinda fun," Zavius stuck in.
Sarvwen just nodded in silent agreement, not really paying attention. I ignore the two and went on.
"If it was a minor mission, why can't you do this alone? It doesn't take a whole squad for a physical test," I said, challenging Ava to give me a decent answer.
"Yeah, just beat the hell out of the kid and see how he takes it," Sarvwen said sarcastically.

Ava raised an eyebrow at me, giving me an are-you-serious look.
"That's it? That's what's bothering you? I would have thought it was something like 'being treated like a baby' or something like that," she retorted incredulously.

There she goes again---she always knows!!
But I'll be damned if I let her know at a time like this. I crossed my arms and waited for an answer. Ava sighed (yet again) and got up. She shifted her weight over her feet and looked right at me.
"You really need me to tell you why? I thought it would be obvious,"
I didn't answer; I waited. Ava went on.
"First off, this is not a regular rank exam. Darvien is still in his thirty-fifth year of training up to his current rank." she said before hesitating.

I waited patiently for her to continue. Ava scowled slightly in annoyance, looking rather uncomfortable.
"I don't feel comfortable doing this by myself. " she said.
"And why is that?" I asked, not satisfied.

Ava looked at me with a slightly annoyed look, considering something before answering me.
"I'm not a sociable person." she said quite straightforward, catching me quite off-guard.

My jaw dropped open.
I wasn't expecting such direct, childish answer, coming from her!
"That's it? That's the only reason?!" I practically yelled, partially to be heard over Zavius's laughing fit.
Ava reached up and massaged the back of her neck.
"No, actually, that's only a little bit. I also have to deal with some complications right now at the moment, and I need backup parties to be set up. But you guys would help in both situations," she said, her face composed in an unreadable mask.

Zavius stopped laughing and looked curiously at Ava. All of us were probably thinking the same thing---what complications? Sarvwen looked down at the floor. I glanced at Zavius. He looked at me, obviously contemplating on decisions. And I knew exactly what he was thinking.
Oh deus, it's not going to work!! I sing-sang in my head.
I looked back at Ava, who now had her eyes closed in unexplainable focus.
Yup, this is definitely not gonna work.

I scrunched my nose at him disapprovingly, letting him know he was going to screw up. He seems to have brushed it off though, because a second later his dark hair floated away from his eyes. I saw his pupils dilated and retracted against cool colors of his irises as his eyes lost focus.

Well, I wasn't going to bud in; it's his funeral.

Just moments later, Ava flinched as someone had just slapped her in the face. Her eyes snapped open, her stare dark and piercing.
"Zavius...out." she growled, her voice coming out layered in tones.
Zavius's eyes regained focus as he woke from his trance. He sighed in disappointment.
"A stone wall, as always," he sighed, earning a death glare form Ava.
"The mind is---" she started.
"Yeah, I know, I know, 'a man's few sanctuary that shall be spared unless occasion calls for such dire needs,' And let me guess; curiosity isn't one of them," he said in a bored tone at Ava's reprimand.
"And apparently, I'm not worthy of that privacy," she said coldly, her face expressionless.

She just let the subject drop. She stood up, taking on an authoritative demeanor.
"Mission is initiated. Mivian, you will take the subject through the first phase." she directed. "You are to accompany him through the virtual stimulation drill, Level 6. Task assigned. You are dismissed."

I pumped my fist in the air in triumph.
I loved those virtual experiences; they were the closest things to a real mission...and a level 6---Tracking.
Finally, something good that happened today!
"Assignment received," I said, jumping up. I hurried my way towards the training area, leaving my friends behind.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Where the hell is this kid?" I muttered to myself as I made way through the training area.

This training court is huge; the whole training station is actually another different grouping towers. The ceiling was way up high, being the air space for the off-ground training obstacle with collumns extending all the way up from the floor to support a scattered number of landing platforms, and all four walls were separated a great distance. There was matting on the floor for battle and combat practice sessions, and in another distant area where target practice took place for guns, archery, crossbow, daggers and such weapons. There were countless number of trainees, all of them wearing the uniform training gear.
So naturally, I stood out, being the only one in the wrong uniform, seemingly at the wrong place and at the wrong time. It was getting a fair amount of unnecessary attention that was just starting to annoy me.

I shoved my hands into the pockets of my black uniform trench coat, avoiding the curious looks of the trainees surrounding me. I'd remembered Darvien's face, so recognition wasn't a problem. I just couldn't find him anywhere.

"Mivian!!" I heard someone call behind me.

I wheeled around and I saw Zavius and Sarvwen flash into view. A rush of relief went through me as they approached.
"Guys, I can't find him. And where's Ava?" I asked, noting her abscence.
"She's just taking care of the V.S setups. But we need to find him first." Zavius said, looking around.
"Man, is it quiet in here...oh."

Both Zavius and Sarvwen looked around, noticing the silence around us. I winced, not liking the mood of the atmosphere. I heard some giggling and whispering behind me, causing me to look back. I turned, and saw a group of girls clustered, all huddling and whispering at each other.
I was confused; I thought I had something on my face until I saw few girls give a flirtatious wave to someone right past me.

That was when it hit me---
Ah, Zavius, the Slayer Prince, has done it again---and this time, he wasn't doing anything!!!
Zavius looked confused; nave as usual. He just gave them a limp lift of his hand in response, which set the girls into giggles. I rolled my eyes and shook my head suppressing a humorless laugh. How old are they, they're Immortal and they act as if they are human teenaged girls!!
Ridiculous...

Someone grabbed me by the shoulders and violently pulled me back. My heart jumped a mile in reaction.
"Mivian, those girls look extremely vicious..."
I turned my head and saw that Sarvwen had launched himself behind me. He motioned to something to the side of us. I looked---and saw another group of girls huddling together.
One of them, a blonde thin one in the center, gave us a look. She looked at Sarvwen with a smirk, sizing him up and down.
Then, she looked at me, and the smirk disappeared. Her eyes practically glowed. She glared right at me, as if trying to intimidate me. What the hell did I do?
I had the urge to purposefully laugh at her, just for the kicks.

But I didn't come to have fun...

"Hey you," I called to that girl.
She looked a bit taken aback at me calling her out directly, but recovered quickly.
"What?" she said curtly.

I smirked. A toughie, this one, isn't she? I have a feeling we could be great friends.
"We're looking for an individual named Darvien, Rank 3. Any idea where he is?"
"I'm right here," A deep voice said before the girl could answer.

We turned in surprise, waiting for the person to show himself. Trainees moved out of the way as a figure made his way toward us.
Then, through the crowd of bodies stood the so-called genius, Darvien.

My first impression of him: I hated him.
Why? Well, there are plenty of reasons.
For one, he put us through all this just to find him.
For two, he had to be in the most crowded place, filled with wide-eyed spectators of all places.
And for three, he was extremely tall, making me feel inferior in ways I didn't like.
He was almost as tall as Zavius and Sarvwen, except, the way he presented himself was a bit less confident, coming off to me as a weakling. It was the same person from the picture we saw, but at the same time, different. More real, I guess.

"I'm Darvien, how could I help you?" he asked, confusion written all over his face.
Zavius stepped forward to answer.
"You are to come with us for some rank examination. Your rank is classified as questionably unstable. Not in any bad ways, of course." Zavius added hastely at the end as slight panic flashed across Darvien's face.
I sighed and I joined Zavius in the explanation.
"Meaning, you may be able to move up in your status, we just have to put you through series of tests to clarify what rank." I said.

Immediately, he calmed down.
"Alright, what do I have to do?" he asked.

"Mivian here will take you through the first phase of exams, which will be virtual simulation. More will be explained if you would please follow us...preferably now" Sarvwen said, as he kept looking back at the blonde and her gang in a paranoid manner.

Darvien nodded and came towards us. At the same time, Zavius started to roll up his sleeves.
"Darvien, have you ever dual-teleported before?" he said, giving me a glance.

Boy, am I liking this mission already...
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another one!!
To leave a tid-bit of little comments for me, click here!!

I do love reading other people's comments, so please, leave me something!!

Oh, and a little notice: once this one catches up a TINY bit more, keep your eyes out on a new story "Frozen Phoenix"!! If you're interested, please check it out when it comes out!!

Please comment and subscribe if you haven't!!