Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 29: Broken Pieces

Ava’s Mission…

Not a sound rang into the dark night as Ava slipped from rooftop to rooftop, following her senses that had suddenly spiked up out of its usual calm. The cool night air brushed against her cheeks and whipped the thick cloak she wore back against the breeze.

It's so close...hungry and deadly... she thought, leaping through the air.
Her foot found its grounding silently and firmly on a rooftop, as she continued to slip through the shadows undetected. She was almost there; she could feel the dark aura prickling against her skin...

Ava sunk low into her knees and shot up high into the air. Then, she continued to fall, flowing lower and lower. Ava landed in a silent kneel, her movement smooth and controlled. She stayed low to the ground for a few moments before smoothly straightening to a stand. That was when she heard the dark howling.
Ava's eyes hardened and she took hold of the tsuka of her katana. Without wasting another moment, she was off, flickering out of view. Ava sped on, the dark air growing heavier and heavier on her body as she drew closer to her target. She felt different spikes of energy, all coming from different Flame sources.
Excitement, greed, thirst... Ava counted, identifying each energy.
She gritted her teeth in disgust.
It's sickening...
She will eliminate them all; it would be all too easy. She took another light step forward. A sudden, cold wave seemed to have crashed down on Ava's shoulder, almost threatening to crush her. Ava stopped dead, turning around to the direction of the new Flame.

What is this? she thought, a feeling of creeping dread washing over her.

This was strange; the dark Flame she had felt just now was strong. Not only that, but it was at a close proximity. Ava mentally kicked herself for being careless. Why hadn't she been able to detect it earlier on? How come she didn't sense it until she was this close? She quickly slipped into the dark shadows of a nearby building, hiding herself from the creature. First thing first; she had to locate the source of the Flame.
Was it Viper?
Ava slowly and silently blew out a stream of breath, trying to relax despite the sudden frenzied static in the surrounding air. The Flames were everywhere, all of them weak. Except for that last one. That last one was powerful. It had to be the target.
Ava closed her eyes and focused, closing her Energy in within herself. It was vital that she located the target, but not the other way around. Keeping herself in check, she then focused on the dark aura weighing down on her. Carefully, and only with her senses, she traced the path of the Flame. As her senses drew closer to the source, the air seemed darker and deadlier. This has to be him; this has to be Viper. Ava focused harder, trying to locate him.
To her left? No, nothing there.
To her right? All clear.
Ava looked down to the ground she was standing on.
Down below? Impossible. The Dark Energy had struck her from up above...

Realization struck her hard and she snapped her gaze up to the night sky. There, on the rooftop, stood a big, cat-like shadow crouching with its back against the moon. She saw two yellow eyes glowing against the dark. Instinctively, she stiffened, pressing herself closer against the stone wall of the building.
Vardavit! Idiot!! Keep steady focus!! her conscience roared.
This was unlike her; a Hunt have never been this nerve-wracking for her. Calm, be at easy... she told herself.
Stay still, and don't move...

Ava held her breath as she heard a low growl rumble from the rooftop above her. She didn't dare to move. There was a low creak as the dark creature shifted its grip on the ledge of the roof. Then, it threw its head back and shrieked. Ava gritted her teeth as another wave of immense pressure shoved down on her shoulders.
Hunger, blood thirst, playful... she thought, reading the Flame. She dared to tilt her head back to glance at her target. The creature let out a high-pitched laugh before flashing out of sight. Startled shock shot through her as she felt the weight of the Flame lift. She cautiously pulled herself off from the wall.

It was fast, it was almost as if---

Recognition of the creature’s movement shot through Ava’s mind in a stabbing shock.
Teleportation...it teleported... Impossible!! Teleportation can only be achieved by ones with great amount of Light Energy. Requiring dense bursts of power and control, it was supposed to be an ability only the Elites could execute. Not even all of the Slayer of the Four Gates Union could obtain such skill, even after many decades of training!
Maybe there were more to this mission than Thya knew. Maybe the reason to why her gathered info was so incomplete was right here in this mission...
Ava stepped out of the shadows, flipped her cloak’s hood over her head and started to run, tracing the smaller Flames once again. The air was noticeably lighter than it was just moments before, giving her an airy feeling. Something in the air nagged her, tugging at the edge of her focus in demand for recognition. She didn't stop but she focused hard on the Flames sources she was tracing. Something was abnormal about the Flame activity, something that tied them all in.
Think...think... Ava urged herself.
Was it the location?
Was it the source?
Maybe it was something that was not individual, but maybe it was that whole mass of Dark Energy all together...

Something clicked in Ava's thoughts as she continued to race through the dark streets of the town. The Energy sources she was tracing were all one pattern. They were all matching, trailing the same path one after another. But how is that possible? The Shadows never existed together in a organized grouping; they would tear each other apart. How were the Flames syncing together side by side here?
A clear picture of the dark creature surfaced to Ava's mind. She remembered the blood curdling shriek, and the menacing laugh it rang out before disappearing into the night. Then she remembered how the air around her went crazy the moment it appeared, and then died down the moment the creature disappeared.
Could it be...
Ava shook her head, clearing her mind. She couldn't just jump onto conclusions; she can't expect anything.
But what if...what if her assumption was right?
Ava gripped her katana tighter until her knuckles went white. If she was right, this mission had just become something more than it was suppose to be.

There was an abrupt shift in the direction of the Energy activity. Ava skidded to a halt, taken by surprise.
What now? she thought, a bit agitated.
What else has she missed?
Quickly, she wheeled around in a sharp turn to the left and shot off into the new direction. She kept her Pulse in check, keeping an eye open for any other surprises. Silently, she slipped past the dark space between two houses. She didn't slow down as she leaped over the tall fence with graceful ease. The mass grouping of Flames were just ahead, she could already feel it on her skin...

Ava shot out of the shadows and onto an empty street.

"What in the---" she started, bewildered.
What was wrong with her senses?
Why can't she find them?
Ava looked down the street and saw a pale fluorescent form of what seemed like a elderly man.
A soul, she recognized.
She saw a thin, ribbon like cord floating around him in the wind, its tail torn and shredded.
A severed connection...
A soul...severed and forced out of its body...
Ava looked down at the palm of her hand, a feeling of uneasy washing over her. What was going on? Was her senses clouded? Where were the Flames?
Ava pulled the hood of her cloak lower over her face as she stepped forward.

Suddenly, the street light that hung right above her flickered off with a very loud pop. Ava jumped back, her hand already drawing her katana. There was another pop, and the second light beside the first went off. Then the next one, and the next... Until there was only one left lit. That was when the howling returned, screaming louder than ever. Ava saw the man wheel around, fear reflecting in his eyes as he looked at the last light. Shadows from all around the street swayed and turned, pulling away from its place. They screamed, the sound crashing into her chest with dense power. They gave one last wrench, and the shadows were free, all of them diving at the frail soul. The man turned to the remaining light, frantically and deserately shaking his head. The last light gave one last weak pulse and went out.

"Vardavit!" Ava swore, already light-stepping forward.

She had no idea what was going on. She had no idea what she was up against. She had no idea what to trust; her instincts or conscience. But all that were the last things on her mind. Without another thought, she released her Energy Pulse.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was all over in a matter of seconds. Ava stayed still as she waited for her Energy to settle back to its original state. She was faintly aware of the soft sobbing voice of an aged man, and the terrorized tremors that rocked through his ghostly body.
"No!! Please!! Anywhere but hell!!" he cried frantically.
"Be at ease; your destination does not belong in hell. I'll make sure of it." Ava soothed quietly.
The man choked, and his cries turned to sobs of relief.
"Oh...thank you, thank you!!" he said, over and over again.

Ava looked back down at the soul, feeling mixed emotions churning inside of her. She was relieved that she had made it; the man's soul was spared from an very dark fate. But at the same time she felt remorse for the man's family. And then, there was an unexplainable feeling of apprehension and dread.
Something is coming in the near future... she thought, unable to keep that thought in. Brushing her thoughts and feelings aside, she reached down and lightly rested her hand on the elderly man's shoulder.
"Mr. Connor!!!" someone yelled out from the dark.
Ava froze, and her eyes flickered up to see a girl sprinting right at them, a fierce look in her eyes.

She could see us...
She watched the approaching girl cautious as she drew closer. Suddenly, the girl stopped, and a confused look fell over her face. She eyed Ava in a suspicious manner, her gaze almost daring her to do anything she didn't approve of. Without losing sight of the girl, Ava turned back to the soul.
"I shall allow you a Final Wish before declaring you the blessing to your Final Peace." she whispered soothingly.
The soul lifted his face from his hands and looked at her with wide eyes.
"So it really is time to go? Just like the young man had said?" he stammered.
Ava didn't answer immediately, keeping all expression off of her face.
The young man...
"I'm afraid so. But don't fret; where you are to go is where you would be in no pain or suffering." Ava said.
She gently gripped the man's shoulder in encouragement.
"Your Final Wish?"
The man looked back down at his hands, fear in his eyes melting into sadness.
"There is nothing more I can wish for myself but I want Sarah and her sweet children to be happy again. Let Sarah find and accept another great man after my son." he whispered.
Ava smiled gently and released his shoulder.
"Such selfless wish will not be forgotten, Alfred Connor. Very well; I shall see to it that your heart do not parish where you left it." She lifted her hand and pressed her fingers to her lips.
"I grant you your Final Peace, here and now over my heart and soul. May your journey to the other side be swift and without misfortune." she murmured, her tone slipping into her hypnotic Voice.
She lowered her hand from her mouth and pressed it over her heart before lightly stroking the man's head. He let out a soft sigh, all signs of stress and fatigue fading from his face. Then he turned away, a wide smile lighting his face.

"Celeste, thank you for everything you have done for me until the very end..." he said as glowing white particles whirled around him. He closed his eyes and tilted his head up to the dark sky as the light swallowed him whole. Then he was gone, not a trace of him left behind.
Ava looked back at the girl. The girl gaped back, her jaw slightly ajar. She jumped, and took a step back away from Ava.
Should I cast an Erase?
Ava played with the idea before going against it. It may attract more trouble than do any good.
She turned her attention back to the girl and tried to lightly smile. She put a finger to her lips to signal the girl to be quiet.
Tell no one... she commanded silently.
Without wasting another moment, she disappeared into thin air, leaving the bewildered girl in the flickering streetlights.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ava looked down at the empty street and watched as the girl turned back and returned to her home, occasionally throwing a nervous glance over her shoulder.
Celeste, was it?
Something about this human nagged her, tugging at the edge of her focus.
Why could she see us?

Ava thought hard, trying to fit the pieces together. The synced Flame activity, the creature's ability to teleport, the severed soul... Then the 'young man' the man mentioned and Celeste, who displayed what seemed like a fully developed 6th Sense. None of it made sense, but at the same time, they all seemed to relate to one another...

"Base calling Ava, do you copy?" a male voice spoke in her ear, snapping her out of her thoughts.
Ava reached up to the communication ear piece clipped to her earlobe.
"Ava responding to call," she returned.
"This is the monitoring center responding to a urgent request for Summon. You are to retreat to Galiasis immediately."
"Everyone?"
"No, Just you mam'n." the unfamiliar voice stated.
Ava scowled, slightly peeved.
"I'm in the middle of a Hunt. I can't just disengage and put the mission up on hold." she said politely.
The man responded somewhat wearily.
"We are well aware---" the man was cut off with a big crashing noise and the sound of things getting thrown down or knocked over.

"Oh give me that!" someone yelled in the background.
"Ava, you better turn right on your heel and report your smart-n'-witty ass back to base, you hear?!" Thya bellowed.

Ava flinched, her ears ringing painfully. Dazed, she shook her head, trying to clear the pulsing.
"Vardavit, Thya! Mind sparing my hearing? What's wrong with you?" she demanded, expecting an immediate snort or a sharp retort.
When silence followed, she froze.
"Thya?"
Silence...
"Thya, I demand an answer. Now."
There was a strange cracked sound from the base before Thya answered.

"We lost contact with Sarvwen and Darvien." Thya said in a strained, tight voice. "Just report back ASAP, Ava."

She tuned off leaving Ava in tense silence.

Ava never noticed. She was already gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, if you want, just comment here please...
All comments will be very much appreciated.

~K