Enchanted

I'm wonderstruck; dancing around all alone

“Hi, Charlie,” I said as I walked into his house. “I’m sorry to bother you like this, especially on such short notice.”

“No, no, it’s fine,” he said awkwardly. “It’s been kinda quiet since Bella’s left and well…I’m glad you’re here.”

“Thanks, that means a lot. Um, is it okay if I put my things up in Bella’s room and then I want to head out.”

“Yeah, sure that’s fine,” he said giving me an odd look.

“I know it’s very rude of me to just show up and leave right away. I just didn’t really know where else I would be able to stay in the area.” I tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear and looked at him earnestly.

“It’s okay I’m heading down to the Black’s in a couple minutes anyways,” he said sounding like he wanted the conversation to be over. Throw in a bit of emotion and like most men, he skedaddled.

Quickly I hurried up to Bella’s room and threw my suitcase on the bed. I’d unpack later. I was about to leave when something caught my eye. One the headboard lay a dream catcher. It was beautiful, really. I touched it gently before I heard Sita bark from outside. I couldn’t imagine parting with her again so I brought her along. I didn’t know how long I’d be gone either.

I then jogged down the stairs and outside. In a surge of unexpected grace a opened the door and got inside in one fluid motion. I started the car and then drove to where I remembered the Cullens were located.

Image


I got out of the car and walked up to the door hesitantly. I could hear my heart in my ears. The surrounding forest set me on edge and I expected something to come lurking out of it. I reached up to press the doorbell but the door was opened before I could.

In the doorway stood the girl I remembered as Alice. “Hi, Alice,” I said slightly nervous. “I was wondering if—”

“Right this way,” said Alice cheerily. She then took my hand and pulled me inside. Her skin was ice cold to the touch and I felt myself wanting to pull away but found that it would be rude. She took me through the large house to a room where everyone was sitting.

The first thing my eyes laid on though was Bella sitting on the couch. She looked up at me as I walked in and the surprise was evident on her face. “Ally, what are you doing here?” she asked completely surprised.

“Well, due to my expert sleuthing, I am going to be by your side with whatever you’re going through. I know how much you hate being sick.” I came and sat down beside her on the couch and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. “Bella, you look awful.”

“Thanks,” she said sarcastically as I looked her over. There were bags beneath her eyes and she looked paler than she usually did. Almost as pale as the Cullens that were sitting around me. I glanced up at them and saw them watching me. I noticed that Edward wasn’t there among them and wondered where he could be. His wife was obviously very sick. Although with what I didn’t know or why.

“Bella, why are you like this?” I looked at her earnestly with a slight puppy dog look. She tried to avoid my gaze but as soon as she looked at me she sighed.

“Rosalie, can you help me up?” Bella asked looking at me sadly. The blonde that could pass as a supermodel strode over quickly. Bella shifted but looked like she really couldn’t do much else on her own. Rosalie came over and ended up doing most of the work as Bella stood.

As she did the blanket that had been over her dropped and exposed a round belly. I looked from it up to Bella in surprise. “You were gone a month,” I said confused. I frowned deeply. It didn’t add up. She looked easily four months pregnant. How had it been only a month?

Bella herself looked confused. Most of the people in the room also did. Bella opened her mouth but no words came out. Suddenly Edward strode into the room. Rosalie helped Bella sit back down before she went and sat down on the arm of the couch. “She doesn’t know,” Edward stated as he came in and stood behind Bella.

“But I thought Jake or Sam would…” Bella trailed off as she looked up at Edward.

“Shouldn’t count on the mutts,” said Rosalie with a sneer. They know, was my first thought. I looked around at all of them in surprise. Finally my gaze settled back onto Bella who looked guilty.

“You knew,” I said accusingly. I felt tears come to my eyes as I felt betrayed.

“Ally, I—” Bella tried to explain.

“You knew and you still asked me to come here?” I asked standing up. I felt angry and betrayed which quickly turned into tears. My hands clenched into fists at my sides as I stared accusingly at Bella. Suddenly a wave of calm settled over me and I felt the anger leave. I sat back down on the couch tiredly. “How could you?” I asked her sounding a bit heartbroken.

“I think I preferred her angry, Jasper,” Bella said glaring at him before turning back to me. “Ally, you weren’t supposed to find out. You weren’t supposed to know at all.”

“That doesn’t make it better,” I said calmly. “You know how I am. You know they terrify me.”

“Ally, I’m sorry,” Bella said looking like she might cry herself. I simply shook my head looking away from her.

“What are you?” I asked glancing up at Edward instead. I stared at him accusingly. “I expect this is your fault she’s pregnant.”

“It is,” said Edward with a sharp nod.

“You didn’t answer my first question,” I said looking at him with narrowed eyes.

“I think Jacob, should answer that question,” said Edward. “Speaking of…” he glanced up towards the entrance of the house. I heard the door open and then footsteps coming this way.

“Where is she? She better be alright,” I heard a familiar voice say as he came into the family room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Figured I'd get things moving along again. I'm not going to stop this story although updates may be slow. Please, bear with me!