Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

Cease to Exist

Light filtered in through the shutters creating a line pattern across the starch white sheets. The small room was open, with only a bed and a dresser in it. The pale yellow walls were bare and the wooden floor was spotless.

“Let’s have some air, shall we?” a young girl of eight suggested as she walked towards the window, pushing aside the shutters and opening the glass. A cool breeze swept into the room. “It was getting a bit stuffy in here, wasn’t it? But it’s much better now.”

The young girl walked towards the bed with a small smile on her face as she looked down upon the person tucked into it. “It’s quite cool outside, despite the sun beaming down.”

“I want to go outside.” The little girl laying in the bed blinked, her light brown eyes looking a bit watery and tired. “Please take me outside.”

“Oh, Jane. You know you can’t go out there.” The eight year old who had opened the window said with a sigh. “You can hardly stand, you know that.”

Jane sniffled and closed her eyes tightly. She let out a small groan of distress. “It hurts.”

“I know,” the girl whispered, cringing a bit as she watched Jane’s face turn a paler shade. “Do you want me to get your father?”

“No need,” Jonathan Hart stepped into the room carrying a tray and a bright smile on his face. The dark circles under his eyes betrayed how tired he really was, despite his cheerful attitude. “I brought you some broth, hopefully you’ll be able to keep some of it down this time.”

“No.” Jane groaned, flinching at the near thought of eating. “I don’t want it. I hurt.”

Mr. Hart’s smile vanished as he set the tray down on the dresser. “I can’t give you any more of that potion.”

“Please daddy, it hurts!” Jane groaned and tried to toss in her bed but was far to weak to move much. “The pain wont go away.”

Jon sat down at the edge of the bed and brushed back his daughters blond strands of hair. “You wont be in pain much longer. Just hold in there sweetheart.”

He kissed the top of her head and then let out a sad sigh. He turned his gaze towards the eight year old off to the side. “Will you please go get me a wet rag? She’s starting to break out into a fever.”

The little girl nodded her head before quickly vanishing out of the room.

At five twenty that evening, Jane Hart passed away. The house was silent as Mr. Hart and the eight year old stood near the bed, staring down at Jane’s lifeless body.

“It’s just like Mia all over again.” The girl whispered, not really wanting to break the silence, but also not liking the empty sound. She tucked a dark strand of her hair behind her ear and glanced towards Mr. Hart. “She looks peaceful though, almost happy.”

“It’s different from Mia, Jane didn’t cause this to happen.” Mr. Hart whispered. “But now that she is gone, we can truly begin.”

The girl nodded her head and slipped her hand into Mr. Harts and gave it a squeeze.

Only two people knew of Jane’s death. Her father and the little girl. Her death wouldn’t be in vain, however. No, it certainly proved to be of use.


Image



Large hands landed firmly on her shoulders and guided her away from Platform 9 and ¾ quickly. She tired pushing whoever it was away, but it proved to be of no use.

“Stop fussing.” The deep voice commanded as the girl tried to squirm free.

She blinked and tore herself away from the man. “Don’t scare me like that, Jonathan.” She hissed, narrowing her eyes.

“I had to do something, you just about mowed down that couple back there. Where were you? Lost in another world?”

“Something like that.” The teenager mumbled and avoided his gaze. She was not about to bring up the fact that Jane’s death was on her mind. It had been many years now, but it still pulled at her heartstrings.

Mr. Hart frowned, a concerned look overcoming his features. He stared at her for a moment, hoping to find some sort of answer, but sighed when he didn’t. “Are you sure you’re up to this?”

“Of course.” She said, looking quite offended. “I’ve been ready for this since I was seven. I‘ve been preparing for this.”

He seemed to ignore her words. “Because this is your last chance, no backing out after this.”

“I know, I know.” She sighed. “But there’s nothing to worry about.”

“You have to be careful. You can’t be caught.” He continued, completely oblivious to anything she was saying.

“I know!” She finally snapped causing him, and a few people close enough to hear her yell, jump. “I will have everything under control. And if not, you’ll be the first person I contact. You’ll be the only person I contact.”

Jonathan seemed to relax at this, his body looking less tense and worried. “You know what you have to do…”

The girl nodded her head, a dark strand of hair falling in front of her face. She pushed it aside, agitated. “Like always, as soon as I step onto that train, Amara Kingston ceases to exist.”


♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter should be much longer than this. No worries, they wont all be short like these first two chapters.

Many thanks for everyone's support. I really appreciate it.