Say It One More Time

Band Practice

“Rennie…?” I heard Frank say, knocking on the bathroom door. I took a deep breath, calming myself down. “Lorena, are you ok?” he asked me.
“Err… Yeah, you guys go and practice, I’ll be out in a bit” I said, sounding surprisingly composed.
“Are you sure?” he checked.
“Yes! Go!” I commanded him, the hint of a laugh coming through.
“Well… Ok… We’ll be in the garage when you’re ready.” I heard his footsteps heading downstairs and took a seat on the side of the bath, burying my head in my hands.
I knew that there had been a chance of something like this happening, but I didn’t think that I’d react like I did. But what can I do?
I stood and checked my makeup in the mirror, took another deep breath and left the bathroom.

I headed downstairs to where I had seen the inside garage door earlier. I could already hear some drums and guitar being played.

As I walked through the door, I saw a sofa at one side, and a full band set up on the other.
I smiled at everyone, as I walked over to the sofa.
They continued to play, and soon I heard Gerard start to sing.

As I was listening, I remembered what Frank had said about Gerard’s voice, ‘his voice just hooks you’ and it was so true. The song was called Early Sunsets Over Monroeville and it was beautiful.
They all looked so passionate, especially Frank, he couldn’t stay still, even though it was a fairly slow song.

When they finished, I felt five pairs of eyes looking at me, searching for approval.
“That was amazing. Seriously,” I told them honestly.
“Really?” Frank’s eyes lit up.
“Really, Gee your voice is just… Wow…” He smiled at me before taking a swig of water, “And you’re all so passionate!”

They played some more songs, all equally as good as each other, as I sat watching, completely mesmerised.
They only stopped when Linda came through announcing that the pizza was ready.

Everyone pretty much immediately downed their instruments and rushed back into the house.
There was only just enough space around the table for us all, but we managed.
“Rennie, the veggie ones are over here” Frank told me, inviting me to sit next to him.
I took the seat, and instantly tucked in, hoping that no one would mention earlier.
“So, you’re sounding really good boys,” Linda broke the silence, “Really, I think you’ll be ready to gig soon” she continued.
“Seriously? You think we’re good enough?” Ray asked, looking kind of shocked.
“Yeah!” she smiled at him, before he looked at me for confirmation.
“Yeah, I’m surprised you’re not already…” I said honestly, smiling at them.
“Hmm… I’ll see if I can find anything…” Gee said thoughtfully, clearly about to go off into his own world.

Frank offered to walk me home later that night, and I gladly accepted, knowing that if I hadn’t, I would have gotten lost…
“Thanks for the tea Linda” I smiled, as we headed for the door.
“No problem hun” she smiled back, “Hope to see you again soon”

Frank ushered me through the door, shutting it behind him.
“Well, I think my mom likes you” he laughed
“Yeah I guess she does” I smiled, glad that she liked me.
“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but, why did you get so upset earlier?” he asked me quietly.
My face dropped and I stuttered, “I wasn’t upset… I just suddenly needed to pee…” I tried to cover it up, but I knew it was no good.
Frank looked at me suspiciously, “Seriously, Rennie, I want to help…”
He looked so sad and worried… He sighed at my silence, which somehow made me want to talk.
“You really want to know?” I asked him.
“Yes” he responded to me, very definitely.
“Just promise you won’t say anything until I’ve finished?”
“Of course not!”
I decided that now was as good a time as any, and so told him my story.

“Shit… Fuck… Seriously? That’s what happened?!” he looked so angry, it kind of scared me a little. I had just finished my story.
“Yes… That’s everything…” I whispered, it felt weird telling someone again… But I suppose it also felt kinda good…
“That son of a bitch! How could he do that?!” he practically shouted. I flinched slightly. “Oh god, sorry Rennie… He’s just… How can a guy treat anyone that way? Fucking hell…” I walked along with my hands in my pockets, looking down when all of a sudden, I felt his arms around me.
It was warm and oddly comforting, but before I was ready he pulled away.
“Oh god, sorry again…” he apologised.
“Don’t be… It was kinda… Nice…” I said quietly, I looked up and saw that he was smiling at me through the obvious anger.
For a while, we walked silently together, I could see Frank deep in thought.
“Hey? Are you ok..?” I asked him, breaking the silence.
“Yeah… I’m just struggling to comprehend how he could do that… And especially to you…”
“What do you mean? Especially to me?” I was curious.
“Well look at you, you’re such a great person, so nice… Friendly… What could make him want to do that?”

“Honestly Frank, I have no idea, but it’s no use worrying about it now… What’s done is done, and I have a new life here, I’m safe now” I said, trying to cheer him up. I’m guessing it worked slightly as he gave me a smile.
“True… And I suppose if it hadn’t happened… You wouldn’t have met the most amazing person in the world!” He grinned,
“Who? Ray?” I asked, smirking at him, his face dropped slightly in shock.
“No! Me! God!” he pouted,
I laughed, showing him that I had been joking, he flipped me off, so I grabbed his finger and twisted it, all the time smiling sweetly at him.

It felt good being at ease like this with Frank, I was finally happy.

Sadly, we reached my house too soon.
“Well, I’ll see you in morning, walking partner” I winked at him, making him giggle his cute giggle.
“Bye byeee” he sang, about to turn around; I stopped him by pulling him into a quick hug.
“Thanks for listening” I whispered. He smiled as I pulled away.
“See you tomorrow” I said finally, before opening my door and going in, waving to him before shutting the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been a while, but I've been so busy...
Anyway, Rennie's starting to trust Frank, yay!