We Can't Wake Up

Reasoning

At lunch, Marcus walked away from the people surrounding him, down towards the lake. Nobody followed him, they knew not to. He sat down noiselessly under a tree at the lakes shore. He was only alone for a few moments.

Anne appeared suddenly beside him, she was out of breath as though she had rushed to get there. “Why did you do that?” she asked bluntly.

He inclined his head slightly to indicate that she should sit. Anne remained standing and Marcus remained silent.

After an agonizing five minutes, Anne sat down as close as she dared. “Why did you do that?” she asked again.

“I didn’t do anything. It was Matthew who upset her.” Marcus replied quietly. “Not that I am sorry to see her go, she annoys me greatly.”

“So Matthew dumped her because you don’t like her?” Anne asked incredulously.

“I believe it was she who ‘dumped’ him.” Marcus replied in the same, quiet, authoritive tone.

Anne sighed heavily. “What about last night? Why did you do that?” Her tone was curious now, almost eager.

Marcus pressed his lips into a straight line. He did not want to reveal how he felt about her. That would make him look weak. “Because you annoy me also. Out of all the girls in the year, you are the only one who never shows an interest.” Too much! You said too much! He screamed inwardly.

Anne’s jaw dropped. “Oh,” was all her reply. After a few moments she hit the ground angrily. “Because I annoy you?!” she screeched.

Marcus was surprised; he hadn’t expected this sort of reaction. He turned to look at her. She was staring at him in despair, hatred and obvious annoyance. “What else would you expect?” he raised his eyebrows.

Anne looked away, flushing. “I – I…. I don’t know.” She said quietly. She looked back at him; her eyes were damp with tears again.

Marcus said nothing, but stood and walked away into the trees. Just before they swallowed him in their shadows, Marcus inclined his head slightly, indicating for Anne to follow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait again.
umm, hope you enjoyed.
comments? :D