Ballad of Mona Lisa

I need a little sympathy, to solve my insecurities.

[Lisa's P.O.V.]
*Christmas day*
I woke up at the crack of dawn, having only slept for an hour or two. I was up all night crying at the thought of losing Brandon, and at the thought of possibly losing Andrew. I was just happy I was going to see him today, I knew he'd make it better. I just can't tell him about my conversation with Brandon, because he'll think I'm trashing his name. I also can't tell him I got him something for christmas, because then he'll feel jealous. I'm starting to notice a lot of things I can't do with Andrew..

I got up and got ready to go to Andrew's he told me to be there early, so I could spend all day with him. I went downstairs to grab my coat when I saw my mom sitting at the table, drinking as always.
"Merry Christmas mom." I said going over, and kissing her on the cheek.

"Thank you, you too." She said, surprisingly, in a nurturing tone.

"I'm going to Andrew's now." I said going to leave.

"Wait I have something to tell you..." She said standing up.

"Sit back down please." She said motioning to the chair next to her. I could now see she had been crying.

"What's up?" I asked facing her.

"Well I got a call this morning from the woman who is supposed to be your grandma, and she had some bad news." She said lighting up a cigarette.

"I don't know how to say this Lisa, but your dad has passed away." She said looking at me with tears in her eyes.

"What...How..." I said feeling like I was going to throw up.

"He was on his way here, to see you, and he had been drinking... His car was wrapped around a pole." She said letting her tears flow.

"Oh my god...Why was he coming here to see me?"

"He had recently been sending me letters for the past couple of months, saying he had gotten his life on track and he felt horrible about leaving us. He was going to rehab, and they thought he was well enough to leave... He seemed like he had changed."

"So you've been hiding this from me for months?"

"I wanted to surprise you. I know I'm not the best mother but I really wanted to do something nice for you today. Your father loved you so much Lisa, he really did. He was so excited to see you, and finally get to see how well you grew up."

"Why now. Its been 7 years."

"He cleaned up his act, for the most part. He had a job ,he could support you with. He was drug free, so he would be allowed to see you. He was working on his alcohol problem. Just because your dad left doesn't mean he ever stopped caring." She said reaching for my hand, I jerked it away.

"He could have tried to talk to me."

"The court wouldn't let him, because after he left I had a restraining order placed on him until he got things together."

" So it's your fault I couldn't see or talk to my dad!" I said shooting up out of my seat.

"Lisa listen I did it for your best interest at the time. I didn't want him coming here if he would be high or drunk every day. I expected you to see him again... I'm sorry."

"You should be!" I said grabbing my coat and bolting out the door.

I put my music in and started walking to Andrew's. I was supposed to text him when I got up to have him come get me, but I needed to clear my head. I was so upset about this whole thing, but I didn't know why. I mean my dad left me, and my mom, which pretty much caused my mom to go crazy, and how do I know she's telling the truth about him wanting to contact me, or even that he's dead! Stop Lisa your mom's crazy, but she wouldn't lie about someone's death. I just can't believe it is her fault my dad never came back to see me, if that's true.

At the end of it I realized regardless of what happened he was my dad, and I did love him, no matter what I said about him. He did love me, and I loved him so much. It is an indescribable feeling to realize you've lost a parent. It feels like a chunk of your heart has been ripped out of your chest, and stepped on in front of you. All I wanted to do was breakdown, and cry. I wanted to wait until I got to Andrew's, because he of all people would understand the most. I sped up my pace to Andrew's house,I needed to get there as soon as possible.

I walked up the stairs, and knocked on his door. Andrew answered, and he looked like he had just woken up.
"Andrew!" I said reaching my arms out to hug him, but he moved aside.

"I told you to text me to pick you up. I am not ready. You should have called." He said giving me a mean look.

"Andrew I'm sorry I needed you! I have horrible news..." I said crying.

"Oh god sweetie I'm sorry I was just tired. Whats wrong?" He said holding me close to him.

"My dad died...." I said finally breaking down sobbing. Tears poured out of my face like a faucet turned all the way on. I couldn't breath I was taking such shallow breaths in and out. I was trying to catch my breath and I just couldn't. Saying those words out loud, made it all way too real for me, and I couldn't handle it.

"Baby, calm down please calm down." Andrew said stroking my face, as he held me tightly. I
couldn't even speak. I stayed in his arms for about 10-15 min, which isn't a long time, but when you're hysterically crying it feels like an eternity. Finally I calmed down, and went into Andrew's bedroom with him. He sat next to me on the bed rubbing my back, and holding my hand.
"How did it happen?" he finally asked.

"He was on his way to see me, and he was drunk, and he crashed into a tree." I said choking on my tears trying to hold them back.

"To see you? I thought you didn't talk to him?"

"He was trying to come back in my life. He was getting better and wanted to be a part of my life. He was going to surprise me..." I said wiping the tears that slowly trickled from my eyes.

"Babe I'm so sorry to hear that...I thought you hated your dad though?"

"I did, and that's what makes me feel sick to my stomach. Is that I hated him with out really knowing him, and now I won't ever get to know him truly."

"I know how you feel babe, but how can you be so sad about someone who hurt you so bad?"

"It wasn't his fault. He had an addiction."

"Doesn't mean he couldn't have tried to be there."

"He did try."

"Not until 7 years later..."

"Are you trying to say I shouldn't miss him?" I said moving away from him slightly.

"No I'm just saying remember all the hurt he left you with for these past years."He said resting his hand on my own.
Then I started thinking, the past is the past, and if he was really better then he wouldn't have been drinking and driving in the first place. Maybe Andrew was right, how could I miss someone that wasn't in my life for a huge portion of it...

"I will still be here no matter what babe." He finally said interrupting my thoughts.

"Thank you babe." I said kissing his lips.

"I'll need it." I said continuing.

"Let me get changed and I'll give you your present." He said kissing my lips, the grabbing clothes and heading towards the bathroom. I was so excited to give him his present. I bought him a silver chain, because he gave his to his ex girlfriend, and she never gave it back. I had to take a lot of moms money for this. I felt bad but I figured it'd be so worth it when he opens it.

He came back wearing a pair of loose pants with a black studded belt, and black thermal that showed off his killer body.
"Can I give you your present first?" I asked, still in a bad mood but feeling slightly better.

"Sure haha." He said chuckling sitting next to me. I handed him the small bag with his present in it. He slowly ripped out pieces of tissue paper, he wasn't nearly as excited as Brandon was when I gave him his, but that was how Andrew was. He took the chain out, and admired it with a smile on his face.

"Thanks baby this is cute." He said smiling, and kissing my lips.

"Now here's yours." He said handing me a small box. I opened the box, and saw a gorgeous diamond ring.

"Oh my god Andrew! This is gorgeous!"

"Now don't get excited I'm not proposing or nothing, but it's kind of promise ring. Like you promise me you'll be mine forever." He said taking my hand, and kissing it.

"Awe of course babe!" I said kissing him, and putting the ring on my right ring finger.

"Thanks for making me happy again." He said smiling his amazing smile at me.
"No thank you babe it means the world to me." I said kissing him for a long time.

"Come on lets go I think my family is here." he said standing up, and leading me out to the living room.

I was glowing I was so excited! I had never gotten a ring before in my life! How could Brandon think Andrew is a bad guy? He just gave me the sweetest thing any one has ever given me! He also made me feel better, slightly, about my dad. It usually takes a lot to make me feel better. No one has ever made me feel this amazing, I do kind of wish my dad was here to see how happy I am...
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was a little hard for me to write, because I lost my father when I was young, so thats how I was able to describe the feeling so well. I am dedicating this chapter to any of my readers who know what it feels like not to have a parent in their life.