Ballad of Mona Lisa

I Wouldn't Be Caught Dead In This Place

[Lisa's P.O.V.]

*A month later*

Things weren't bad in school. For once I wasn't getting teased on a daily basis. I think it had something to do with Andrew. A lot of people are afraid of him for some reason, even Brandon. He hasn't come to lunch as often as he used to. He says he's got "work to do." I kind of believe it I mean he is in all honors classes, but he's been acting weird since Andrew's been here. I just think Brandon doesn't want to get to know him like I do.

Andrew and I have been hanging out a lot more lately, because Brandon's always working. So when I'm not with Brandon I'm with Andrew, which is actually a lot. He acts kind of flirty with me half the time, but I think thats just how he is. Most of our time is spent at the park or walking around, which is hard now cause its getting a little colder each day. I could say I was starting to like him. He was such a sweetheart and he really made me feel wanted in life. After weeks of talking to him he's shared a lot about himself that I wouldn't expect, about his old school, his old friends, and most importantly his family. His family seemed to be just as messed up as mine, unfortunately. His mom died when he was just a baby, causing his dad to turn to drugs, leading to him being in and out of rehab, and grandparents who hate him because they blame him for his mom dying. I felt sorry for him. I liked when we talked about his life it took focus off my own life for once. Andrew helped me forget about all the problems in my life especially my mom.

I was sitting in lunch one day by myself, because Andrew was late, and Brandon was "busy", just eating my food. Then out of no where Vinny Johnson, biggest asshole in school, spotted me and laughed. He was a big muscular kid, with a stupid "fohawk", and an ego the size of texas. He whispered something to his bimbo girlfriend, Lena Smith, who had changed so much over the years. We actually used be friends, back when she was an awkward red head with freckles, and was a tom-boy. Now she has black hair, with blonde streaks, and fake a spray tan to cover the freckles on her face, and a stuck up,rich girl attitude. My eyes were locked on them, as they said something to their friends then started walking towards my table. I didn't break eye contact, even when they reached my table.
"What up slut?" Lena said sitting across from me.

"Look whose talking?" I snapped looking her in the eyes.

"Me? I'm not the one who is with a different guy every day." She said with a snarky laugh.

"Oh you mean my best friend?"

"Yeah but whose the other tool you're always with." Vinny said laughing.

"None of your business."

"Haha! You probably fuck them both like you fuck your dad." Lena said breaking out
laughing. My heart stopped. I saw red. I was going to kill her. When my dad left, and she was the only girl I told. Her bringing it up made me furious.

"Oh wait just kidding your dad isn't around. Probably because he didn't want to raise a freak show for a daughter!" she screamed and now the whole lunch room was looking, and laughing.

"You stupid bitch!" I said as I went to go lunge at her. I saw her flinch and Vinny go to protect her. Just as I was close enough to reach her I felt someone grab my waist, and pull me back. The restraint was making me madder. I tried to fight past who ever had their hands on me, but they were too strong , and ended up lifting me and carrying me out the back door.
I was still fighting when I was in the hall. I pried away from the person, and turned to face them, it was Andrew. He grabbed me and pulled me in for a hug, and just held me there trying to calm me down.

"Will you calm down! You're going to kill yourself!" He said putting his right hand on my head, and left hand on my back rubbing it. I just replayed what Lena said over, and over again, and started to cry. I felt so vulnerable for two reasons. One the whole school now knew my business that I kept a secret for so long, and two I was crying. I had only cried in front of Brandon.

"Shuushh. You're okay. I got you." Andrew said still rubbing my back and soothing me. I didn't know what to do, so I wrapped my arms around him, and he pulled me in closer. Then when I calmed down he grabbed my face, and forced me to look at him. I was staring into his big brown eyes, and it made me feel safe.

"You're okay...Nobody will bother you anymore... I got you." He said wiping my tears. How could this kid who I've known for a month , give or take, is being this nice to me? Only Brandon was nice to me, and even that was iffy sometimes.

"Lets sit." Andrew said putting his left arm around me and guided me to the floor. We sat in silence for a little while, as I took in everything that just happened.

"Listen, if you wanna talk I'm here... You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to, just know I am here for you." He said looking me dead in the eyes. I sat in silence for another few minutes while he rubbed my arm, and put his free hand on my knee.

"Why...?" Was all I could mutter out.

"Why what?" He said looking at me with concern.

"Why are you so nice to me..." I said almost wanting to cry again.

"Well, you're nice to me, so I'm nice to you..."

"But you're sitting here offering me help, when you don't even know whats wrong or who I am." I said getting upset all of a sudden.

"I don't know whats wrong you're right, and you don't have to tell me what is wrong. That doesn't mean I don't want to cheer you up. And I don't know who you are completely, but I would like to... You're a great person, from what I know, and I wanna get to know the real you." He said removing his hand from my knee, and stroking my cheek, and guiding my face towards him. I saw sincerity in his eyes. He made me feel happy. I cracked a smile, and so did he.
"See there's that beautiful smile I love." I said pretending to hit my arm.

"Oh stop!" I said going to hit him back.

We stayed there for the rest of the day, because that hall way is pretty much abandoned, just talking, not talking, laughing, not laughing, and he even held my hand once or twice. As the last bell rang for the day we both got up and started walking out. He had his arm hung on my shoulder, and I had my arm wrapped around his waist, and I had my thumb in his belt loop. People stared but we didn't care. I searched for Brandon's car in the parking lot, but couldn't find it. I picked up my phone, and called him, but no answer.
"Ugh. I don't know where Brandon is." I said trying to call again.

"Want a ride?" Andrew asked. I had forgot Andrew drove because we were always walking
everywhere.

"Uhm sure." I said smiling, and he smiled back.

"Okay come on." I said leading me to his car. There were very few cars left in the parking lot, but I saw one and had a feeling it was Andrews. It was a black Ford Mustang Gt, with a white stripe down the top of the car.

"Here she is!" he said showing the car off like a show girl.

"This is such a nice car! I can't believe this is yours!" I said in awe.

"Get in." He said pulling out his keys, and unlocking the car. I had never been in this nice of a car before. The car ride was so much fun with just listening to music, and having fun with him. He dropped me off in front of my house, and I saw a note on the door.

"Shit can you wait one second?" I said getting out of the car, and walking the walk way. I examined the note that said 'Went out. Don't wait up.-Mom'. I went to go check the door knob, and the house was locked. I slammed on the door out of anger, because I forgot my damn keys in Brandon's car yesterday. He was supposed to give them to me today, but that never happened.

"Whats wrong?" Andrew screamed from his car. I started walking back to the car.

"House is locked, and I don't have keys." I said putting my arms on his car and leaning on the car.

"Want to come hang out for a little while?" He said smirking. I thought about this long and hard...I had never been to his house, and I am by myself, but I am locked out, and Brandon wont answer me.

"Yeah for a little." I said opening up the door, and sliding in again.

"Yay!" he said smiling, and putting the car back in park. I hope I'm not making a mistake about going to his house...