Steal and Return

Chapter 1

How did I end up in such a predicament? I had often heard stories of similar events, but rarely ever had I heard of something like this. Actually, if you want to be so specific you could call it exact, I'd never in all my years heard of a predicament even similar.

The day began so normal. Well, by normal, I mean normal for a woman of my standards. I was spending the entire afternoon with the handsome Prince Pierre Charles Lennon John Saint Coquille the 5th, or so was the plan. It was taking longer for me to be prepared to meet with the prince than our meeting might take.

“Olivia, please do make haste, I've places to be and princes to charm!” I announced as Olivia, my best servant, made the final touches on my latest gown. A princess like myself could not be seen with a new princess in a gown she'd worn before, now could she?

“I shall hurry m'lady, but please do understand a dress of this design cannot be rushed.” Olivia insisted. She kept adjusting and readjusting the pull ups on the gown until they were perfect, applied jewels, and laced the corset so tightly that I could not even lean forward to watch her work, and just merely had to stand until her work was complete. “T'is ready m'lady.”

“Thank you Olivia, you are free to be on your way. Please send in Miss Alice, I shall need some assistance with my hair today.” I smiled brightly, and Olivia smiled back. I hadn't exactly meant the smile to appear so happy, wouldn't want the servants believing they were equal, would we? Imagine the chaos and anarchy that would break out!

Miss Alice was a quick worker, and a quiet one, only ever stopping to ask my opinion. For my date with the wonderful prince, she pulled back my hair and let it fall in it's beautiful, dark brown ripples. “Are you satisfied my princess?”

“Very,” I replied as I admired myself in the mirror. I was beautiful, there was no denying that. His Royal Highness Prince Pierre would most certainly be impressed.

Of course, he was. I swear, his jaw must have become unhinged when it dropped to the ground as I stepped out of my carriage. We'd driven by carriage for near an hour before arriving, but still, I didn't fail to look incredible.

A fat bellied man with a rather large horn loudly announced “May I now present, Princess Priscilla--”

Before he could announce my middle name, I stabbed him in the side with the tip of my parasol. “No middle name.” I hissed under my breath and hoped no one had taken any notice.

“Le'Darls, the escort of our young prince for the evening.”

Pierre, with a glowing smile on his perfect face, took my hand and lead me into his beautiful palace. I sure had chosen a perfect prince. He was almost as stunning as I was. Such a handsome blonde, with the most interesting green eyes I'd ever seen. A tad bit too pale for my liking though, but for chiseled muscles and that smile, I could learn to love it.

“How do you do my princess? Amazingly well, I hope.” he said charmingly.

I smiled a falsely sweet smile, “Wonderful, absolutely wonderful!” I lied. Despite being with such a stunning man, I was still miserable from the hour I'd spent trapped in that tiny little carriage with my stupid pain of a nurse. She meant well, but dear me, would it honestly cause the woman's death if she were to shut up?

“Fabulous. Now, shall I show you around the garden? I believe we have much to talk about.”

When he said we had much to discuss, I knew he meant a possible courtship, and afterwords, a marriage, because really, in that day and age, that was all men his age were after. At least, that was what my father told me. Marriage was the most important part of a princess's life, despite my beliefs. I always thought that the glamorous gowns and beautiful belongings had a higher value.

“My princess,” he began, but really, I wasn't completely listening, I simply smiled and nodded when I felt it was necessary. I merely was considering, would he be a nuisance after a few years of marriage? Would he stay so handsome as he aged? Would be be a good king for my kingdom, or would I be a good queen for his, depending on how our parents would arrange things.

“I do hope you are enjoying yourself my princess.” He said innocently.

I smiled, “Oh, I am, my darling prince, I hope you are as well.”

“Much so,” he said brightly, “Now, it seems it has grown rather dark, too dark to be traveling by carriage back to your home. I insist you and your attendant stay the night in the private guest quarters.”

The sky had already become a navy blue, and I had to admit, it really was far too dangerous for traveling. “I shall take your offer, dear prince, and thank you for your kindness.”

He smiled and began to lead me back into the main castle, where we met with my attendant, and were brought to a large room, with the most beautiful bed I'd ever seen, the softest carpet I'd ever touched, and the sweetest fragrence that drifted in from the flowers outside my door.

I quickly slipped into the nightgown I'd been given, and retired for the night. That would be the point where my lovely, normal day became the most bizarre of my life.

I found myself unable to sleep, and instead sat on the bed and gazed around for what must have been an hour before I began to drift off.

Suddenly, a rustling noise from the window brought me back into awareness. I sat there in my white silk night gown staring at the hooded man climbing through my window. My heart beat almost too painfully in my chest. I gulped and felt sweat build up in the palms of my hands.

My intruder got the tail of his dark olive green cape stuck on the lock and tugged on it a few times to get it free. He taps the heel of his buckled boots on the floor a few times to get rid of the snow. He sighs and dusts himself off, making little white snowflakes fall onto the cold stone floor. 

"So, miss." He started, walking toward me. I could do nothing but sit frozen. How did he get here? I had guards in every nook and cranny protected me from senile people like him. 

"Y-Yes?" I managed to choke out. He threw back his hood. 

"I'm here to kidnap you." He gave me a smile that put the stars to endless shame. "I hope that's alright."