Status: New Story!!!! Read and comment!!

Revolution of the Heart

Five

I had been packing our supplies away with some of the other nurses later on that evening when something caught the corner of my eye. Someone was walking limping towards me, wearing a doctor’s uniform. He looked like something was seriously wrong. I looked around and saw none of the other nurses seemed to notice him. I craned my neck in an attempt to see the man in more detail. It was his eyes, for sure, that gave him away. They were still wild and in pain, but his eyes were as clear, golden brown as amber held up to sunlight. It was him. He made eye contact with me. Something about them, maybe their urgency, or the flash of hope, beckoned me to him. I smoothly made my way towards him, avoiding looking purposeful or suspicious. He limped behind one of our abandoned tents. I followed quickly.
I had just turned the corner to meet him when he pulled me into the tent, using one of the loose sides as an entrance. I tried to scream, but he had a hand over my mouth. I knew I should have kicked or bit or something, but something within me told me not to. I stopped struggling.
“Left o ob e,” I said through his hand. He slowly withdrew his hand and spun me around to face him. His face betrayed what I already knew as the truth.
“You’re the Brit.” I said confidently. He nodded. He was younger than I had thought. 20, maybe.
“Listen, I really didn’t mean to scare you,” the British man said. I glared at him, knowing that I was suppose to resent him. He avoided my eyes again, leaning on a stack of crates. I took the chance to look him over. The doctor’s uniform hung on him loosely, so I could see his shoulder wound. It was still bleeding the slightest bit, as was his leg.
“You-you’re bleeding.” I said. He shrugged.
“Here.” I stood beside him and grabbed a strip of cloth from one of the crates. I felt some type of spark when I touched his shoulder. I slowly bandaged his arm, blushing the slightest at the feel of his muscles. I could feel his gaze on me while I worked.
“That should do it,” I said, finishing. I took a step back and looked up at him.
“Thank you.” He said. I nodded.
“But, I don’t understand, were you shot in the leg, too?” I asked, motioning to his left calf. He shook his head.
“No, well…the doctor might have stabbed me a bit...before I accidentally knocked him out.” He admitted. Right, I had forgotten he was the enemy. For some reason, I found this thought depressing.
“Well, would you like me to dress it?” I asked. Damn, Elizabeth. Stop helping him! Just turn him over. But I banished the thought. I was a nurse, wasn’t healing my job? The Brit nodded, a bit shamefully, might I add. He rolled up his pants leg. It was worse than I thought it would be.
“What did you do?” I asked sharply, “rub dirt in it?” The Brit chuckled.
“No, err…no, I don’t believe so.” He said mischievously. It was a pleasant sound. I shook my head slightly and finished bandaging his leg.
“Well, that should do it.” I said in a professional manner.
“Thanks, Angel.” The man said softly. I froze.
“Angel?” I asked sharply. The man blushed, just the slightest.
“Yeah…when you found me, on the battlefield? I thought you were an angel for a second. My personal angel…” He said lowly. Something in me shuddered pleasantly, but I only gave him a forced smile.
“No, no angels here. Just Elizabeth.” He offered me his hand.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you…Elizabeth.” I shook his hand, pleasantly surprised at its warmth.
“And for me too, Mr…”
“Grant. Grant Hendersfield.” He announced. I smiled, one that was a hundred percent natural.
“Nice to meet you, Grant.” I said honestly.
“Elizabeth?” A deep voice called out from outside the tent. Williams! I thought. I could see Grant stiffen.
“Get out of here, then!” I whispered. Grant nodded and made his way out of the tent. He paused and looked back at me.
“Elizabeth, is that you in here?” Williams asked. I sighed, and motioned for Grant to leave.
“Um, yes, Dr. Williams, it’s me.” I said. “I’m just finishing some packing.”
“Alright, are you okay in there?” Williams asked. “I thought I heard some one talking.”
I saw Grant flash me a devilish grin. I motioned for him to leave again.
“No, I was just talking to myself.” I said. Why won’t this man leave me alone? I asked myself. Grant ushered for me to come closer to him.
“Can I see you again?” He whispered. I opened my mouth, unsure what to say. I admit, I was attracted to him- his eyes, his body, his personality…Snap out of it.
“No.” I said firmly. Grant’s face dropped, but he recovered.
“When, then?” he asked.
“What part of no don’t you-“
“Do you want some help?” Williams asked again, his voice nearer than before. I shoved Grant out of the back of the tent just as Williams walked in.
“Oh, no, I was just finishing up here.” I said, a bit out of breath, leaning against the crates. Williams looked at me in what almost seemed like concern.
“Are you sure you’re okay?” he asked. “You look tired.” He put his hand on mine.
“I’m fine, honest, Dr. Willia-“
“Robert. You can call me Robert…Elizabeth.” He said slowly. Ew.
“Okay…I’m fine…Robert.” I corrected myself, pulling my hand away. Williams face flashed in something unrecognizable.
“Yes, well then, we better get these crates loaded up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Writer's block is a bitchhhh....but, here ya go :)
*Historical Fact*
In 1782, Deborah Sampson put on male clothing, adopted the name Robert Shurtliff and enlisted in the 4th Massachusetts Regiment for a term of three years. She was five feet, seven inches tall, 22 years of age and the first woman known to enlist as a soldier in the American Army. A great woman :) (ps, one of her neighbors was Paul Revere!)