Anything for Us

The one you love.

“So, today I’m going to tell Dakota that you’re back,” I said to Rocco.

“He ain’t gonna like it,” Rocco warned.

“I know,” I shrugged.

Rocco laughed, smiling at me with an ease that I don’t think I’ve ever seen on him before, even before the divorce. He really is a changed guy.

“Good luck then. You’ll need it,” he smirked.


~

That was two hours ago, just after Christmas lunch was finished and while Dad and Scott were playfighting over who was going to wash up the dishes. Rocco and I escaped after sending them a fluff-induced gag and a condom, and ran upstairs to my bedroom, where I told him my intentions for that afternoon.

I wish I was back in my room instead of standing outside Dakota’s house. This idea seemed much better then. But I’ve got to man up, right? Dakota’s got to find out at some point, especially since he’ll be starting back at ERHS with us in the New Year.

So after taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door, waiting for someone to open it. 10 seconds later that person was Hendrix, and he grinned up at me.

“Angel! Merry Christmas!” he said happily, stepping aside to let me in.

“Merry Christmas to you too, squirt,” I smiled, shutting the door behind me.

“Everyone’s a squirt to you, Angel,” Hendrix retorted, sticking his tongue out at me.

I laughed as I took my coat off, nodding in agreement. He has a point.

“DAKOTA! ANGEL’S HERE!” Hendrix yelled up the stairs.

I winced at the volume, but couldn’t help smiling to myself as I heard footsteps running down the stairs towards me. I full-out grinned when Dakota appeared, running towards me clad in a fluffy white sweater and red-and-white striped leggings. Wow. Someone went overboard this year.

Before I knew it, Dakota leapt off the stairs and into my arms, wrapping his legs around my waist. Mm, Merry Christmas indeed.

“I missed you, Angelcakes,” Dakota beamed, rubbing his nose against mine.

“You saw me two days ago,” I reminded him.

“Too long,” Dakota pouted.

“Ah, ah, no pouting. It’s Christmas, I’m sure there’s a law against it,” I teased.

Dakota giggled, before pressing his lips to mine before I’d even realised it. Woah. Too much eggnog? Too much sugar? Either way, he shouldn’t be kissing me like this, so I broke the kiss gently, lowering him to the floor.

“Dakota…” I warned.

Come on, Kota. Don’t ruin the day before my news does.

“Mistletoe – can’t break traditions,” Dakota said innocently.

I looked up and saw a bunch of mistletoe hovering above us…attached to a wooden pole…which Hendrix was holding. I raised an eyebrow at the youngest Rae, and he just shrugged apologetically.

“Dakota paid me $20 this morning to follow you two around with this,” Hendrix explained.

I rolled my eyes. Typical Dakota.

“I’ll pay you $50 to go play the new Xbox game I bought you for the next 6 hours,” I said simply, pulling a note out of my pocket.

Hendrix’s eyes lit up and he nodded, immediately dropping the pole. Dakota made a whining noise as his brother took the money from me and ran upstairs, making me laugh.

“Someone’s got to ruin your fun,” I grinned.

Then I realised how true my words were, and my grin faded. Shit. I really am going to mess up his happy day.

“Look, can we go and talk somewhere, private?” I asked quietly.

“Is everything okay?” Dakota frowned.

“Please?” I sighed.

Dakota bit his bottom lip but nodded, taking my hand and tugging me up the stairs into his bedroom. Once the door was shut and locked I let go of his hand, sitting down on his bed. It didn’t take long for Dakota to join me.

“What’s going on, Angel?” Dakota asked worriedly.

I smiled weakly, running my hand over my dark curls. It’s now or never. And seeing as I’m not letting my twin leave any time soon, I can’t exactly make him disappear.

“Yesterday morning I got some extremely unexpected news along with an even more unexpected visitor,” I started.

“Who? What?” Dakota asked, confused.

“Rocco’s back. For good,” I said softly.

Dakota’s eyes widened in shock. 3…2…1…

“You’re shitting me, right?!” Dakota spluttered.

“No, I’m not. He’s been through a load of shit recently and he’s trying to get over his homophobia because of it, and he’s legally here to stay,” I explained.

“I-I can’t believe it! After everything he’s done…”

“Please, Kota. I’m trying to let it go, can’t you?” I groaned, interrupting.

“I don’t trust him, Angel. I don’t know if I ever can,” Dakota said seriously.

“What do you mean?” I frowned.

“Are you kidding me? Don’t you remember saying I hope he rots in hell for abandoning me or dad and I are better off without that backstabbing sonofabitch or even I never want to see his face again?!” Dakota said incredulously.

“Yes, okay, so he was a complete prick over leaving when he was 14, and I was just as dubious as you when he came back, but I missed him! How can you not understand that?” I frowned.

“He broke your heart, Angel. I was the one that held you while you cried and screamed and shouted out your pain – how the fuck am I supposed to forget the agony you went through?” Dakota scowled.

Dakota’s anger snapped something inside of me.

“You have your brothers around you – you always have done. I didn’t have mine for nearly 3 years, so excuse me if I’m not going to let him go any time soon,” I growled.

Dakota open and closed his mouth a few times, clearly trying and failing to find something to say, and after a few seconds he just sighed.

“I know, I know how much you’ve missed him, Angel. Trust me, I know. I just can’t forget how he tore you apart,” Dakota said softly.

“I was so angry when I first saw him. But Dad and Scott weren’t. I even pinned him to the wall with his throat after he called you a fairy and told him to get his ass back to Milan if he was going to be a homophobic prick. But then he told me what happened to him in Italy – something which you’re going to have to ask him yourself, because it’s for Rocco to tell, not me – and I started to forgive him. I just want him back, Kota. I just want everything back to the way it used to be,” I said softly, staring at my hands.

Dakota’s hands slid over mine, bringing my attention back to him.

“It’s never going to be the same though, is it? We’ve all changed so fucking much since we were 14. I can’t imagine he’ll like me any more than he did back then,” Dakota said with a weak smile.

“I think he was just jealous over how awesome I thought you were,” I mused.

“You thought I was awesome?” Dakota asked shyly.

“Still do,” I smiled.

Dakota blushed slightly, but squeezed my hands.

“I can’t promise things are going to be easy, but if you’re trying to get over what he did and let him back into your life, then so will I,” Dakota told me.

“Thank you, Dakota. Thank you so much,” I murmured, bringing his hands to my lips to press a flurry of kisses to them.

Dakota giggled and batted at me with his hands, making me laugh too. Fuck. That went so much better than I thought it would.

“I can’t promise that I’ll play nice if he fucks up again though,” Dakota warned.

“I wouldn’t expect you too,” I mused.

Dakota smiled and pecked a kiss to my lips before standing up from his bed.

“Want to steal freshly baked cookies from Joaquin? You distract, I’ll grab?” Dakota suggested, grinning.

“I can’t think of anything better,” I laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
It made me smile how negatively you guys are judging Rocco! ^_^
Not that I can say he’s had a good past – I promise he won’t fuck anything up for Angel or his friends; he just rocks the boat, that’s all!

Thanks to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Please keep your feedback coming - it'll really cheer me up while I write the last dregs of my dissertation!

LoosePages;
Artistic Difference
TearsOfTheHeart7
pixie dusttt.
JessicStar
miss.sobriety (x2 – he isn’t that mean!)
call me by your name
BeautifullyTattooed
appley92
maxx danziger
Fear to Commit (haha no, he’s straight!)

xo