Anything for Us

Or so you thought.

“Do I have to go to this party?” Rocco grumbled, getting out of Scott’s car behind me.

“According to dad, yes. I mean, you’re more than welcome to fuck off and wander around for…ooh, 6 hours, but you’re going to have to meet my friends and the rest of the people we hang out with at school in a week anyway. So suck it up, bitch,” I smirked.

Rocco scowled softly, making me snort. If he thinks that’s intimidating, he needs to work a lot harder. Tonight is New Year’s Eve, and Rocco and I have just been dropped off outside Zach’s house, where he’s holding a small party for the basketball team, their girlfriends, the cheerleading squad, their boyfriends, and a minor selection of people outside of this group that we actually like. Nothing flashy, unlike our usual parties. Zach’s already in enough shit for his little sister walking in on him and Yasmin having sex – he doesn’t need his dad going even crazier at him.

“Besides, it could be fun to see how many people mistake you for me and go ape-shit about me cutting my hair,” I winked.

Finally, Rocco stopped scowling, a devious smile spreading across his lips.

“I like the way you think,”

“I thought you might. I’ll introduce you to the people that matter first, and then anyone after that,” I told him, pressing the doorbell.

As I heard footsteps approaching, I stepped away from the door, leaving Rocco standing there on his own. He didn’t have time to protest before the door opened.

“Holy shit, your hair!”

Yasmin. Hah.

“Wow, that’s…different,”

Zach. Even he didn’t notice? Nice!

“Apart from the fact that he’s 2 inches shorter, that isn’t Angel. It’s his twin, Rocco,”

Dakota. Shit.

I stepped out of the shadows and made myself visible to my friends, their eyes going wide. To be fair, I’ve never mentioned Rocco to them because when I first met Yasmin and Zach I still hated my brother for leaving with my mom only a few months before.

“Surprise?” I offered.

“Typical you, Angel. Come in, come in, it’s cold out tonight. Don’t want to make a bad impression by letting your balls freeze,”

Rocco’s eyes widened slightly at Zach’s crude words, only making me snicker. At least I can get some entertainment out of this before Dakota starts being a bitch. I shut the door behind us, hanging my jacket up on the rack, Rocco doing the same.

“So…Rocco, right?” Yasmin asked cheerfully.

“Yeah, Rocco. Stupid name but it’s better than being called Angel,” Rocco smirked.

Zach snorted. “Are you here to stay?”

Rocco just nodded. He can tell his story another time, only if he wants to.

“Then you need a drink. Come on through, man,” Zach grinned.

Zach and Yasmin walked through to the kitchen, Dakota right behind them.

“I didn’t think they’d accept me that fast,” Rocco murmured, rubbing the back of his neck.

I know he’s nervous about tonight. Rocco Lewis doesn’t get nervous, or show emotions all that often, or admit to any weakness – so to admit to me that he was worried about tonight was a big thing.

“They’re my best friends – they can see that you’re important to me,” I said seriously.

“Dakota hasn’t spoken to me yet,” Rocco pointed out.

“Dakota will warm up to you,” I reassured.

Rocco just shrugged and walked through to where my friends had gone. I sighed but followed him. I really hope Dakota follows through on his promise to try to be nice – I really don’t want there to be any tension between them. By the time I got through to the kitchen, Rocco already had an open beer in his hand, as did Zach, and Dakota and Yasmin were drinking brightly-coloured concoctions out of martini glasses. Looks like I’ll be carrying Dakota to bed tonight then, if he keeps those drinks up.

“Here you go, Angel,” Zach smiled, passing me a beer.

“Thanks,” I replied, taking it from him, “what time are the team getting here?”

“Any time in the next half an hour or so,” Zach said with a shrug.

“Just enough time for us to get to know Rocco properly,” Yasmin said happily, clapping her hands together excitedly.

Rocco sent me a panicked look, but I just laughed, shaking my head. He’s on his own for this one. No-one gets between Yasmin and her interrogations.

“Good luck,” I grinned at my twin, making Yasmin and Zach laugh.

I pretended not to notice how Dakota stayed silent.

*

It was 15 minutes before midnight when I finally got a chance to talk to Dakota. Well, he actually came to me, straddling my hips where I was sitting on the sofa next to a couple of guys from the team.

“Can I help you?” I teased, gripping his hips with my hands.

“Just wanted to stake my claim on my midnight kiss,” Dakota said innocently.

“And what makes you think I want to kiss you at midnight?” I smirked.

“Like I’ll let anyone else near you,” Dakota scoffed.

I couldn’t help but laugh at that. At least he’s blunt.

“I feel like I haven’t seen you all night, Angelcakes,” Dakota pouted, leaning his forearms on my shoulders.

“That’s because I’ve been with Rocco and you’re avoiding him, therefore avoiding me,” I pointed out.

I’m not going to get mad. That won’t solve anything right now.

“Yeah…well…”

Dakota trailed off, averting his eyes from mine guiltily.

“You said you would try to get over what he did,” I groaned.

“I know I did, I just…”

Dakota hesitated, biting his bottom lip as he looked back up at me. What’s wrong?

“What, Kota?” I frowned.

“I’m scared of losing you to him,” Dakota finally mumbled.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“You’ve missed your brother so much and I get that you want to bond with him again and catch up on the last 3 years, but it’s scaring me how close you two are again after so little time! I’m scared that you’ll decide you want to spend more time with him than with me, and then you’ll starting cutting me out completely until I’m just a forgotten memory!” Dakota wailed.

Woah.

“First of all, that’s batshit crazy and you know it. Second of all, you’re my best friend and I would never cut you out of my life!” I said firmly.

“But what if…”

“No, Kota,” I interrupted, “Rocco may be my twin, but you are my best friend and that can’t be replaced. I’m not going anywhere ever, so you’re stuck with me,”

“You mean that? I’m not going to lose you?” Dakota asked hopefully.

You can’t lose what you never had.

“No, you’re not going to lose me. I promise,” I said.

A wide smile spread across Dakota’s mouth and he immediately pressed his lips to mine. I don’t care that it isn’t midnight yet and that I’m violating the boundaries I usually set up around him – Dakota needs this right now. He needs the reassurance that I mean what I said. I kissed him back slowly, pouring every emotion into the kiss, ignoring the catcalls and whistles that broke out around us. Rocco might as well get plunged head-first into the fucked up world of me and Dakota. Only when I desperately needed to breathe did I break the kiss, resting my forehead against Dakota’s gently.

“Do you believe me now?” I asked softly.

“Yeah, I do,” Dakota giggled.

“Good. After midnight strikes, you can go and have a civil conversation with Rocco to show him that you’re not a douche,” I smiled.

Dakota’s eyes narrowed at me and he huffed but nodded. I smiled a little wider and pulled him tight against my chest in a hug, his head resting in the crook of my neck. Maybe the New Year will bring out a new beginning for everyone after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a warning guys, I won't be updating for another few weeks now, maybe not even until the 16th April. I have so much university work to do and I'm already behind, so I really need to focus on that and getting it in on time for my deadlines! Sorry!

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter =]

TearsOfTheHeart7
pixie dusttt.
miss.sobriety
BeautifullyTattooed
JessicStar
appley92

xo