Anything for Us

You pushed it in and turned.

“Don’t you dare fuck up, Angel. Do you hear me? Go out and thrash those Tigers, and when the game’s over, we’ll talk, okay?”

“When the game’s over, we’ll talk, okay?”

“We’ll talk, okay?”


Bullshit. Dakota hasn’t even approached me to talk about us and I’m sure as hell not going to approach him. I’ve always been the one that’s prompted us, so it’s his turn now. The ball is in his court. I’m not doing anything until he does. I’m so sick of always being the person to take the initiative with everything, so now it’s up to Dakota.

So far it’s been a week with him being awkward around me after the Championship game (which we won, by the way), so it’s not really going well. Now I’m just tired of it. Tired and angry. Tired, angry and hurt.

“You know, you should really just confront him,” Zach blurted, sitting down opposite me at lunch.

“What?” I frowned, snapping out of my thoughts.

“Dakota. You should really talk to Dakota,” Yasmin added.

Dakota wasn’t with us yet, still in class, and Zach and Yasmin had just sat down with Rocco and I. Great, this is just what I want and need.

“And what if I’m done trying, hmm? What if I’m sick of putting my neck out for him when he makes all these stupid promises and doesn’t follow through?” I hissed.

“You still need to talk to him,” Rocco shrugged.

Great. Even my twin’s not on my side.

“Dakota was the one that wanted to talk, but where is he? Where is the big bravado he had before the game? He’s chicken shit and I’m tired of it,” I retorted.

“But you love him, Angel!” Yasmin protested.

“Yeah, I do. Maybe that’s been my mistake the whole time,” I muttered.

“A-Angel?”

Shit. Dakota’s here. I looked over my shoulder to see him standing there with tears in his eyes and cursed under my breath. Perfect. Just fucking perfect.

“I’ve got work to do,” I grumbled, standing up from my seat.

“Angel…” Zach sighed.

I just pressed my lips together in a thin line and left the cafeteria, not looking at Dakota once. Like I said, he’s got to make the move, not me. I’m done trying.

*

[Dakota]

Angel…Angel doesn’t love me anymore. How am I supposed to deal with that? After everything we’ve been through, he’s given up? After all the progress I’ve made, he doesn’t want me? I know I should’ve spoken to him straight away after the game, but I’m still figuring out what to say.

It has to be perfect. I didn’t want to fuck up.

Now it looks like I’ve done that anyway. For the rest of the day, Angel didn’t speak to anyone, and he didn’t even look at me. He really is angry. Tired and angry. Tired, angry and hurt, and it’s all my fault. I’ve got to fix this.

But how?

As soon as Scott brought us home after school, Angel went straight out into the backyard to the basketball court, with Rocco following him. I really don’t know what to do here. How can I get him to love me again?

“Kota! Kota!”

I snapped out of my thoughts to see Hendrix running towards me, grinning.

“Yeah?” I sighed.

“Joaquin’s on the phone and he says he has some news for us!” my brother said excitedly.

I felt my mouth go dry as I pressed loudspeaker on the cellphone. The court case has it’s final hearing today. Is that was Joaquin’s calling about?

“We’re both here, Joaquin,” I murmured, too nervous to speak any louder.

“Good. Well, I have some amazing news – I won! I won the court case! I’m now your legal guardian!” Joaquin blurted.

As Hendrix squealed, my jaw dropped. Holy shit. He actually won?

“Oh my God, this is so great!” Hendrix said happily.

“I know, right? I can’t quite believe it! I’m also calling to say that now everything’s been approved, the two of you can come to live with me, in my studio apartment. It won’t be as big as mom’s house or the Lewis’ house, but you’ll each get your own room and…”

I zoned out as he continued to ramble. Move in with Joaquin? Leave Angel? Can I do that right now? Is that the best choice?

“…so what do you two think?”

“I can’t wait! I’m going to pack right now!” Hendrix squealed, before running up the stairs.

I laughed softly at his enthusiasm. Bless him.

“What about you, Kota?” Joaquin asked softly.

I glanced out the window, where I could see Angel and Rocco arguing. Maybe some space is what we need after all. Doesn’t mean it won’t hurt though.

“I can’t wait to move in with you,” I breathed.

“Brilliant! I’ve just got to file the appropriate papers here and I can pick you up in an hour?”

“Great,” I lied, tears pricking at my eyes.

“Love you, Dakota,”

“Love you too, Joaquin,”

I ended the call, hurriedly walking up the stairs to Angel’s room, grabbing my suitcase as soon as I got in there. I need to pack right now, or I’ll change my mind. The rest of my stuff is still at mom’s house. I can get that later.

*

The hour was almost up. Hendrix and I were all packed now, just starting to heave our cases downstairs. It’s amazing how much of our stuff has accumulated here, that’s for sure. When we reached the bottom of the stairs, the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it!” Hendrix said cheerfully.

I nodded and took his suitcase from him. Fuck, this is harder than I thought it would be.

“W-What’s going on?”

Shit. Angel. Slowly I turned to face him, seeing Rocco standing by his side.

“Joaquin won the court case and the right for us to live with him,” I said softly.

Angel inhaled sharply, his eyes going wide. I didn’t dare look at his face.

“You’re leaving?” Rocco frowned.

I just nodded.

“I think that’s best, don’t you?” I murmured.

“No,” Angel said sharply.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“Don’t leave,” Angel whimpered.

Oh God.

“Angel…” Rocco warned.

“Please don’t leave me,” Angel whispered, ignoring his brother.

A sharp throb beat through my chest. So that’s what heartbreak feels like.

“Come on, Dakota! Joaquin’s waiting!” Hendrix giggled, running back into the house and grabbing our suitcases.

“My brothers…I…Angel?”

Angel’s eyes hardened and he walked away without giving me a response. So I looked at Rocco.

“Am I doing the right thing?” I asked, a lump forming in my throat.

“In the long-term, yes. You need your space. In the short term, no. He’s hurting and this won’t help,” Rocco sighed.

What the fuck do I say to that?!

“Go. I’ll look after him. Family comes first, Dakota,” Rocco said sadly.

I nodded reluctantly, and walked out the house. Joaquin and Hendrix were already waiting in Joaquin’s car.

“Are you okay, Dakota?” Joaquin frowned.

“I’ll be fine,” I shrugged.

That wasn’t really an answer, but whatever. As Joaquin drove away from the house, I looked out the window, only to see Angel watching us leave from an upstairs window. I didn’t realise I was crying until I saw he was crying too. No, I’ve got to hold it together. I’ve got to be stronger than this. Because if I can’t, then there’s no way I can survive Spring Break next week.

And there’s no way Angel will either.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um, sorry?
The next one is pretty angsty too...but I promise the good stuff is coming soon!
They're so frustrating, aren't they?

Please keep your feedback coming! I love reading your thoughts :)

xo