Anything for Us

It's all you've ever known about yourself.

“Huh. Kota, why would your brother be calling me?” I called to Dakota.

“Hendrix?” Dakota frowned, sticking his head out of his bathroom.

“No, Joaquin,” I replied.

“Not a clue,” Dakota shrugged, before shutting the bathroom door.

I sighed and flipped my phone open. It was a Friday, straight after school, and Scott had dropped Dakota and I off at Dakota’s house, Hendrix choosing to go home with one of his new friends instead. What could Dakota’s older brother want?

“Hey, Joaquin,” I answered, trying to be cheerful.

“Hey, Angel. Um, Dakota’s not with you, is he?” Joaquin asked.

“He’s in the bathroom. Did he put his red skinny jeans in with your chef whites again?” I sighed.

“No! No, not this time. Um, look, I hate to ask this but…okay, so Dakota’s got a gymnastics meet tomorrow and normally I’ll drive there and stay with him, or I’ll drive him and Hendrix and Hendrix will stay. But…I can only drive him there and back because I’ve got a big client order to prep for tomorrow, and Hendrix has study group, so…”

“You want me to go with and stay?” I interrupted.

“Yeah, that’s the general idea. You’re not busy, are you?” Joaquin asked hopefully.

My dad suggested a shopping trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond with him and Scott. Thank fuck I can get out of that now.

“Nah, I’m not busy. Especially not for Dakota,” I shrugged.

“Oh thank you so much. I hate that I can’t always watch him, and I know that mom doesn’t give a shit further than her money goes, but I always want someone there to watch so he feels appreciate, y’know?” Joaquin sighed.

Yeah, I know. I know just how insecure and unloved Dakota can feel sometimes (proven on his birthday a week ago), and I’ll do anything to stop that.

“It’s no problem. Besides, I haven’t seen Dakota perform in years – it’s about time I went,” I smiled.

“Thank you nonetheless. Um, I’ll text you timings and stuff, okay? See you tomorrow,” Joaquin said.

“Yeah, see you,”

“What did Joaquin want?” Dakota asked, walking out of the bathroom.

“Oh just my opinion on whether a Senator would want beef or lamb,” I lied easily.

“Why would you know?” Dakota asked, confused.

I shrugged. “Your brother’s weird,”

“True! Now…film?” Dakota suggested.

“No, homework,” I said firmly, Dakota just pouting, “Then a film,”

“Fine! But I choose the first film,” Dakota grinned.

“Fiiine,” I sighed mockingly.

*

The next morning, I got Scott to drop me off at Dakota’s house, my dad more than happy for me to go and support Dakota at his gymnastics meet. I’d brought along a couple of cans of soda (one for me, one for Dakota after) and a few snacks, as well as a book to read when Dakota wasn’t on the floor. I am only there for him after all.

“Angel, what are you doing here?” Dakota asked, confused.

“Thought I’d come and watch your meet today. If you don’t mind, that is,” I said simply.

Of course Joaquin wouldn’t tell him.

“O-Of course I don’t mind!” Dakota said happily.

“Just on time, Angel! We’ve got an hour drive, so let’s get moving!” Joaquin ordered.

Dakota giggled at my scowl. An hour?!

“Come on, you can sleep in the car,” Dakota teased.

I stuck my tongue out at him and grabbed his hand in mine, leading him to Joaquin’s car. Sleep I shall.

Just under an hour later, Dakota was shaking me awake. We’re here. Fuck this is a lot of sequins. And it’s all guys too. Huh. As I got out the car, Dakota was hugging Joaquin goodbye.

“If I can’t come to pick you up, I’ll send one of my team, okay? Have fun today,” Joaquin said warmly.

“Okay, see you later!” Dakota grinned.

Joaquin nodded at me, before driving away. Dakota took my hand in his, and the two of us started walking into the gym.

“So what events are you doing today?” I asked, trying to remember what he used to talk about.

Ever since high school started, Dakota got so excited about cheerleading that he stopped talking so much about gymnastics, so this isn’t just me being a jerk. I just haven’t heard a lot about it in the last few years, that’s all.

“Floor, pommel horse, the rings, vault, parallel bars and high bar,” Dakota listed.

“Holy shit, all of them?!” I gasped.

Fuck, I know Dakota decided not to become an elite gymnast so he could do cheerleading too, but to still do so many events?!

“Mmhmm, I’m one of the only all-around male youth gymnasts in the region, so I’ll be doing all of them,” Dakota nodded, smiling.

“That’s so awesome, Kota. I can’t believe you’ve never told me about all of this,” I grinned.

“Well…now you know,” Dakota shrugged, blushing slightly.

“Good luck. Or break a leg. Or whatever it is that you say,” I beamed.

Dakota leapt up to wrap his legs around my waist and pressed a quick kiss to my lips, before leaping back down again.

“I think that should do it,” he grinned.

With a wink he was gone, leaving me shaking my head in amusement and trying to find a decent seat.

*

“5 gold medals and a silver, Kota. That is amazing,”

We got back a few hours ago and had dinner with Joaquin and Hendrix (I swear Joaquin spends more time over here than at his own apartment), but Dakota had been fidgety all night. It wasn’t until now, until we were getting undressed for bed, that I managed to get the truth out of him – he wasn’t happy with his results at the meet.

“If I had landed that double twist on the high bar, I would have had straight golds,” Dakota muttered.

I kicked my jeans off and moved in front of him, cupping his face with my hands to make him look at me.

“Hey, I think you’re incredible, your family think you’re incredible and every single person at that meet today thinks you’re incredible. Don’t get so down on yourself, please?” I said softly.

“But…”

“No. Or there’s no snuggling,” I warned.

“It’s not like you’ll even be sleeping properly. In your bed at your house, you don’t sleep with boxers on!” Dakota huffed.

I grinned. At least I got him distracted.

“Well that’s just because in my bed there are rules against sexual touching while I sleep – your bed there are no rules. I simply can’t have you taking advantage of me like that!” I said dramatically.

“You can’t rape the willing, honey pie,” Dakota winked.

I laughed and nudged him with my hip, before getting under his duvet, Dakota joining me straight after and immediately snuggling into my side.

“Thank you for being there for me today. I know I haven’t said that yet, but I really just want you to know that I appreciated your support,” Dakota said softly.

“That’s what friends are for, Kota. You know I’ll always be there for you,” I said.

“I know. I just wanted to say it,” Dakota yawned.

I smiled at his adorable expression and pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead.

“Night, Kota,” I murmured.

Dakota mumbled his reply, snuggling further into my neck, quickly falling asleep. I smiled and didn’t take long to fall asleep myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a cute one to show their friendship =]
So, uh, Angel makes a stand in the next update…
You’ll see what I mean!

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! I really do appreciate all your feedback, so please keep it up!

Artistic Difference
BeautifullyTattooed
JessicStar
appley92
SomethingLeftToGive
LoosePages;
maxx danziger
miss.sobriety
KaylaChaos;

xo