You Are the Only Exception

I Can't Do This On My Own

“Cassi, I’m home!” My mother said through giggles. I stood up.
“Fuck.” I said under my breath. I really didn’t want anyone to see her drunk. She could sometimes be, a little aggressive. My mom walked into the living room and finally noticed the three other people.
“You have company?” She slurred.
“Yes, mom. We were in the middle of watching a movie.”
“Well, tell them to leave. I want to watch shows on my own damn TV.”

I clenched my fist, not wanting to do anything I would regret. I didn’t want to send them home. We were having fun quoting every line and even changing some of the lines to make it funnier.

“Mom, Mixi is staying the night. How the hell did you even get home?”
“I don’t know.”
“Please tell me you didn’t leave the car at the bar.” She wouldn’t even look at me. “Fuck, mom. You know the bartenders are more than willing to take you home. Don’t you have work tomorrow too?”
Again, no answer. I groaned.
“Fine, you are going to bed then.” I turned to Andy, Matt, and Mixi, the worry very evident on their faces. “I’ll be right back.”

I took my mom and helped her up the stairs, one by one. We got to her room and I helped her change into some comfortable clothes and then set her in her bed. We just sat there for a few minutes while she hugged me, she wouldn’t let go of me. I sang her to sleep; it was a song I had been working on recently as well. Once I was sure she was asleep I left her room turning off the light behind me. I then headed back down the stairs.

When I got down the stairs I saw everyone looking at me. I sighed and looked at my shoes.
“I’m sorry you had to see her like this. She just recently got into alcohol again.” I said.
“How come you didn’t tell me?” Mixi asked.
“Because, I didn’t want anyone to know.”
“Well, it’s getting late.” Matt said standing up. “And we have school; I think it might be a good time to leave.”
“Okay, I’m sorry, Matt.”
“Don’t be. It wasn’t your fault your mom went out and got drunk.” Matt said hugging me.
“Thanks,” I smiled a little bit.
“Come on, Andy.”

Mixi and I followed Andy and Matt to the door. When we got there Andy pulled me over to the side and handed me something. Looking in my hand I saw that it was my phone. I looked up at him questioningly.

“It fell out of your pocket.” Andy said. “I had been meaning to give it back but then your mom came home. My number is in it in case you ever need anything. I’m just a phone call away.”
“Oh,” I said still looking at my phone again. “Uhm thanks.”
“Come on, Andy. If I come home late again my mom is going to kill me.” I heard Matt say.
“I have to go.” Andy said.
“Well, yea. We don't want my mom waking up and seeing you still here. That would be bad.” I laughed a little.
“Bye, Cassi.” Andy hugged me.

We both walked back over to Matt and Mixi. We all said bye to each other and they left. When the door was closed Mixi was looked at me.

“What?” I asked her.
“The whole thing that just happened about twenty minutes ago! Why didn’t you tell me?!” Mixi whisper yelled.
“I’m sorry okay! How the hell was I supposed to tell you? ‘Oh yea, my mom is drinking again. She goes to the bar pretty much every night spending money we don’t have!’” Mixi sighed.
“I guess not. Well, I’m tired. I say we go and get ready for bed. Or at least change and do a little bit of catching up since you haven’t been to school in a few days.”
“That sounds good. Same pajamas as normal?”
“You know it.”

Mixi and I have had either matching or similar pajamas since we had become friends. Back when my mom had a good job and we had money and she wasn’t drinking.

We headed up to my room and then grabbed our clothes. When we were done changing I slipped on the necklace my dad had given to my mom on their one year anniversary.

Mixi and I sat on my bed listening to music and just catching up. We would sometimes go sit on the roof for a cigarette break, since my window had a roof right by it that was accessible. After a little bit I pulled out my guitar and played some new strings that I had been working on.

“That sounds really good. I take it you’ve been writing again?” Mixi asked.
“Really? Yea, I’ve had some time on my hands so I’ve been doing a lot of writing.”
“I wish you would come to school more. You need to graduate and I miss you. You are the only one who stands up against the bullies. Matt and I need you to help us. I can’t stand it here because of them.” I saw a tear go down Mixi’s face. She wasn’t one to break down so I knew this was serious.

“Mixi, what’s going on?” I asked. “I hate seeing you like this.”
“My mom wants a divorce. She can’t take my dad’s crap anymore.”
“Oh, I’m sorry, Mixi.”
“I don’t know what to do! My heart hurts so much. I never wanted to see this happen.” Mixi started crying.
“Mixi, all you have to do is tell your parents how you feel. At least they will know. And I guess, I could go to school more.”
“True,” She sniffled. “And thank you so much.”
“Well, I think it’s time we go to bed. We have to get up tomorrow.”
“Okay.”

Mixi calmed down a little bit as we went to lie down. Pulling the blankets up to my neck and getting comfortable, Mixi mumbled something.
“What was that?” I asked her.
“Nothing. I was just thinking. Maybe, since you’ll be going to school more, maybe you can do homework too.” Mixi said giggling.
“Don’t push your luck.”
And with that, I lied my head down and went to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Finally, it's up! Haha. Sorry it took a long time. Things haven't been all that great to be honest. But it's up right?

Outfits

Thank you for everything! <3