Rockstar Lost

Changing Tides

I stared at my boyfriend in complete shock.

“You didn’t just say that, Gavin,” I said through clenched teeth and tear streaked lips.

“I damn well did. I’m tired of you putting our lives on hiatus just because of him!” he said using his arm to gesture towards the drawer.

“And you know how hard that has been for me. You promised you could cope, that you would be there for me for as long as I needed you!” I yelled back.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit here and waste my life waiting for you to put it all behind. I’m in your life now, not them. Why won’t you just accept that?” he answered.
I sat down on the sofa and put my hands over my face. This argument was getting nowhere fast. I tried to regain my composure and work this out.

“So what do you want me to do Gavin?” I asked.

“Move on and love me like you loved him. We can have kids and you could have what you’ve always wanted.”

“I don’t think I’m ready for that. It’s only been two years. Time doesn’t heal that fast.” I looked up to see him watching me.

He sighed. “Look, I know this is going to sound cruel but I think we should burn them,” he said, walking over to the drawer.

“No, I swear if you touch those things Gavin, we are done!” I warned, slowly getting ready to defend that drawer with my life.

“If I don’t, then we are good as done anyways. Having stuff like that around is just a setback for you Riley.”

He opened the drawer and pulled out the sacred items I had stored in there. I jumped up and ran over to him and tried to shut the drawer but he was too strong for me to even try to fight him away from it. Becoming frantic, I started to hit him as hard as I could but it was to no avail.

“This is childish Riley. Stop,” He yelled, pulling some of the photos and materials out and standing up, walking towards the fireplace.

I charged at him and slid in front of him, spreading myself as best I could to block the hot lick of flames from damaging my most important things. Gavin tsk-tsked me and shoved me out of the way, causing me to fall into the wooden coffee table.

Since I knew force wasn’t working, I found the phone and threatened to call the police and press charges. Gavin just shook his head and tossed everything he had in the flames. As I dialed 911 and scrambled for the poker, he took his jacket and walked out the door, mumbling something about didn’t have to come to this.

When I had gathered everything, the police were already on the way and I was left to set and look at the remains of my past life; the pictures of a husband who was killed over seas and a baby that never came to draw breath for more than a day. I cried as I looked down at the ultrasound pictures that were partially charred and the pictures of our wedding day, the ones at my baby shower, and the ones of her lying in the hospital crib with a little pink toboggan. I traced my finger around her little button nose and dropped the picture on the pile of others and put them on the table. At least some of the best ones had managed to survive.

I walked over to the drawer that was still open and pulled out Amberleigh’s baby blanket from the hospital and curled up on the couch with it, waiting for the cops to arrive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas and thanks for all the comments I know you'll give us! LOL Please tell me what you think.