Status: Completed!

A Lifetime to Struggle

Approval.

“Do you have any idea how nervous I am?” I asked, as we pulled up to the Haner house.
“It’s just dinner Hun,” he replied. We had completely switched roles; I was worried and nervous, while he was getting used to the idea. “You’ve eaten here before.” He added, laughing and turning off the car.
“This is completely different. We weren’t together then.” I replied, sighing.
“Just act as if you were coming over to spend the night like you used to when we were younger.”
I smiled, remembering all the times his family gladly let me stay over. I had a lot of problems with my dad, which made it hard to be home. Most of the time I’d stay with Johnny or Jimmy, but sometimes I’d stay with Brian. His father always treated me like family, he was like the father I never had.
I opened the door, along with Brian and met him around the hood of the car. He grabbed my hand in his, and we walked into the house together.
“Dad? Suzy? We’re here!” Brian called out. I slid off my shoes, as did he.
“Living room!” I heard Brian Sr. shout. Brian jerked his chin in the direction of the living room. Like I could forget. We walked in, hand in hand still and saw the pair sitting on the couch. They both looked over at us, then to our connected hands, then back at us. The room was silent; all that was making sound was the TV.
“I win.” Suzy said smiling at Brian Sr.
I furrowed my brows at them, watching Brian’s dad roll his eyes and sigh.
“Yeah yeah, you win. Next time though...” Suzy and Brian got off the couch, both of them smiling at us.
“I can’t believe it.” Brian said, hugging me before switching with Suzy. “I never thought it was possible.”
I felt my cheeks warm up, and Brian’s arm slip around my waist.
“I told him it would happen one day. It could have been just a one night thing, but I just knew.” Suzy explained.
“Good call then.” Brian smiled. He noticed my pink cheeks and gave one of them a quick kiss.
“Come, sit down!” Suzy said, realizing how we were all just standing around. Brian Sr., and Suzy sat on the couch they were on before, while Brian sat in the arm chair, and me squishing in beside him.
“So...” Brian started. “What happened?”
“Uh...” Brian looked at me, silently asking if he should tell them what really happened, or make something up. I felt too close to his family to lie to them, so I just nodded my head, telling him that it was fine to let them know.
“Well, I’m not exactly sure. I just woke up one day, saw her eating breakfast and,” Brian shrugged. “Something just changed.”
“Being your son though,” I said pointing to what everyone else calls him, Papa Gates. “He had to make things difficult.”
“Of course he did. What did you do?” Suzy asked, shoving Papa Gates as he chuckled. Brian looked up at the ceiling, thinking of what to say exactly.
“He was an ass.” I said for him. He dropped his head back down and glared at me. I smiled at him wanting to keep both of our moods good.
“I thought it was wrong, ‘cause, you know, she’s my best friend. So I did whatever I really could to stay away from her...Including making her hate me.” Brian’s gripped tightened around me. He wasn’t ready to speak so openly about it. He hated everything about that time.
“Brian, that’s not the way I raised you.” Brian Sr. said.
“Yes Dad, I know.” Brian sighed.
“What did he do sweetie?” Suzy asked.
“Nothing too horrible.” I replied.
“Well first, I shut her out of my life. Then I pretended that everything she did annoyed me. Then,” Brian said chuckling, But not in the good way.
“I actually became an asshole. I brought Kelsey home with me. You remember Kelsey right?” He asked.
Brian Sr. frowned and Suzy looked furious.
“We go into a bit of an argument, but... That’s how it happened.”
I looked at Brian, proud that he told them the truth. He looked at me, and smiled. I could tell he was a bit upset at the fact that his family wasn’t very proud of him.
“And I love her.” He said. My cheeks heated up almost immediately. It was a bit uncomfortable having him say that in front of his parents who probably didn’t think he was ready for such thing.
“Awww, Honey,” Suzy said to Brian Sr., poking him in the arm. “He loves her.”
I noticed that Brian Sr., was having a silent conversation with Brian. I felt my heart sink a little. He was not approving of us. Not now anyways. I think him and Brian just needed a talk, that way Brian can give him more of an understanding. It seemed that Suzy must have noticed it too.
“Harmony, Honey, Do you want to come help me with dinner?” She asked.
“Of course.” I replied smiling. Brian smiled at me quickly, almost reaching in for a kiss, but finding it awkward to do so. I just laughed at him, letting him know I understood.

“Don’t worry about him,” Suzy said as we walked into the kitchen. “He’s just looking out for Brian.” I nodded, fully understanding.
“I know. He’s a good father,” I stated. “I’m just...afraid. I—“
“Don’t want him to disapprove.” Suzy finished off for me, while nodding. She lifted the top off a pot containing some sort of red sauce. “Harmony,” She started. She stirred the sauce and put the lid back on, before turning around and facing me. “Brian will always support Brian in anything he chooses to do. He’ll have his thoughts about it, but he just wants him to be happy. If Brian says he loves you, Brian will understand. The only reason he’s concerned about you two being together is because the last time Brian fell in love, it didn’t work out well in the end. You know that. I know you won’t hurt him; I know you love him just as much as he loves you, and you always have. This being why I support your relationship with him.”
I pursed my lips, taking her words to heart. That makes one Haner who see’s this the way we do.
“Also, there is no better relationship than one with your best friend. There are a lot of advantages.”
I smiled. I’ve thought about this before. Knowing what each other like, knowing how to make one another laugh. It was hard to piss each other off if we knew what exactly it was that would piss one another off.
“I wish you two the best of luck.” Suzy said. She engulfed me in a motherly hug before pulling away and looking at me.
“Now, go spice up the spaghetti sauce for me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Next one should be on later tonight.
Comments pleeease :) I miss seeing what you guys have to say!