Status: Posting

Make It out Alive

Old Friends

After a small ceremony for Mom, in which her brother, a few of her friends and I spread her ashes in her favorite patch of woods, a few old friends from college invited me out to dinner.

Cassandra and her husband Sam were in the business of wedding planning, she told me as we sat down at a table. Cassandra looked exactly like she had in college, blonde, lanky, and smiling with her green eyes.

Eliza and Frank joined us moments later. "Geez, Polly, you've certainly grown up," Frank joked. Frank's warm Australian accent matched his rugged appearance with an even smile and brown stubble. Eliza was the exact opposite of her husband, a soft spoken dark-haired beauty with soft features.

I smiled weakly. "You haven't," I teased half-heartedly.

"How's the FBI?" Eliza asked.

Before I could answer, the waiter came to get our drink orders. I ordered a glass of wine and waited for him to leave.

"It's a job," I said with a shrug. I didn't want to talk about the BAU. I particularly didn't want to talk about a certain member of the BAU. "I go back to Virginia tomorrow."

"So soon?" Sam asked. He looked the same the day I met him. Dark hair, dark eyes, pale skin and the perpetual look of being tired.

"I don't like being away from such a demanding job for long. I only took a three day leave," I answered, not meeting my friends eyes.

Cassandra took my hand in hers and squeezed gently. "We're here for you, Polly. We're a phone call away."

"Thanks," I said, not meeting her eyes.

For the remainder of dinner, I listened to my friends chat, wondering why my life didn't pan out as easily as theirs did.

I declined their offer to go out with them after dinner. Mom's brother, Uncle Jim, had said that he'd ship the few possessions she had to me, so I didn't have to worry about going through her things.

I laid down in bed back at the hotel, feeling more empty then I could remember feeling in my entire life. My best friend in the entire world was gone, and I couldn't bring her back, no matter how many bad guys I put away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry all these recent updates have been so short. But I promise, you'll get a big juicy chapter soon! Also, Spencer will be returning soon as well.
Comment me!