Status: Active When You Comment and Subscribe

Hold on Darlin'

four

I threw the empty box behind me into the pile beside the bus and trudged over to Jamie.

“Done?” He asked looking up and smiling. I nodded and slipped my Blackberry out of the pocket of my shorts.

“What am I supposed to do today?” I asked scanning the first few text messages, all from Mike asking how I was feeling, if I needed to take a day, that he could talk to Jamie, etc., like Mike knew Jamie better than I did.

“Uhm, I think you’re going to man tent duty today. I have another girl, provided she ever picks up her phone. I think you two will get along. You’re similar.”

Ex junkie with a broken heart? Not likely.

“Whatever you say Jamie.”

I turned away from him, dropping the faux smile and headed for the table, setting the shirts out. Right as I sat the last shirt down a girl approximately my age stomped by heading straight for Jamie.

I tried not to watch the conversation but it was hard to ignore the angry girls words. She was telling Jamie a story about some douche who wasn’t into forgiving his ex addict girlfriend. My heart stopped for a second at the realization. It couldn’t be. Jamie had met my eyes over her shoulder though.
He slowly led her over to the table. A fake smile plastered on his handsome face. The girl adjusted the hat on her head before pushing it out of her face so she could see my face.

“Piper, this is Gidget, she’s going to man the tables with you every other day.” I nodded trying to meet his eyes.”

“Jamie....have anything else to tell me?” He rubbed the back of his neck and then shook his head no before turning and walking away. I glared at his back and grabbed a small t shirt off the back box, handing it to her. “Welcome to the team, mate.” She forced a smile and sat down in the stupid cloth chair.

“He’s nice.” She finally said after five minutes of silence.

“He can be. Oh. Damn. Look at that ass.” I lowered my sunglasses and watched the boy carrying the heavy box of merchandise to the tent beside us. He cursed tripping over his loose shoe lace. A heavy european accent giving an edge to his words.

“That’s Josh from You Me At Six.” Gidget said taking a sip of her water bottle, a low rumble emitting from her stomach.

“He’s adorable. Are you hungry? You should have stopped by the food tent this morning.”

“I did. There’s was some dick there and he made me angry so I left without food.” I laughed knowing full well the situation. I laughed and retrieved my bag from beside the table and pulling out a pop tart package.

“It’s not much but you can’t be hungry here. You’ll die and believe me, that’s the last thing I need.” She forced another smile and took the package.

I checked the time on my phone and sighed. Gates opened in ten minutes.

As the sunset on the first day of Warped I was collapsing onto a large pile of crushed boxes from the days sales. Gidget counted the money and wrote it down, locking the money inside the box.

“That was horrid.” She said sitting down on the ground.

“I hate Jamie and everything he stands for. I’m going home.” I said covering my face feeling the sunburn already setting in on my pale cheeks.

“Please don’t leave! What will I do all day?” Gidget asked.

“Uhm....sell stuff by yourself? Ogle those fine ass boys over there. There’s loads to do without me.” I pushed myself up on my elbows and smiled at her. She had friend potential.

Mike banged on the table. A grin plastered on his face, the infamous cigarette hanging from his lips.

“Hey baby sister. How was your first day?”

“It was hot. I’m tired. I hate life.” I said meeting his eyes and then the cigarette in his mouth. Gimme that!” I snatched the cigarette from him and dragged the sweet smoke into my lungs. I had quit smoking almost two years ago but every now and then I did it to take the edge off of the craving.
“Dammit. That was mine.” He eyed me for a second, I leaned my head back enjoying the nicotine overtaking my senses. “You feeling okay?” He rested a hand on my shoulder, a worried expression on his face.

“I’m fine, Mike! God. I’m not some fucking baby that needs to be checked on every few hours.” I shrugged his hand off my shoulder and sat back down beside Gidget. She looked semi uncomfortable in the presence of Mike.

“Oh shit! You’re the girl from the tent! Slade still has no idea what the hell happened! You were a bad ass!” Mike raised his hand for a high five. Gidget looked at me and then slapped his hand weakly.

“What?” I asked flicking the cigarette ash onto the ground looking between them both.

“Slade was the dick that made me miss breakfast.” Gidget said sheepishly now linking the girl he had spoken of to me. I nodded slowly, my thumb rubbed the engraved words on the gold ring on my left hand.

Promise

He wouldn’t know a promise if it came up and bit him in the ass.

“I figured as much.” We were silent for a second before Mike cleared his throat.

“Are you guys coming to the barbecue tonight?”

“Yeah.” We answered in unison. I smiled at her and stood, brushing off my shorts.

“I need to change and then we can meet up?” I asked Gidget. She nodded and set off for her bus, probably to go through the same regimen of baby wipes, deodorant, perfume, and new clothes as well.
I dropped the cigarette at my feet and stomped it into the ground.

“Poppy-“

“I’m fine Mike. I’ll see you in a few.” I said slipping inside the bus.

If I said that I hadn’t intentionally chosen the too short, shorts then I’d be a liar. I was on a mission. If Slade didn’t want to admit to what we had was still real then I’d just find someone new.

The party was lit by tiki torches to fend off the mosquitos and music pumped from a radio nearby.

“Damn Miss Kitlas! You’re looking good these days.” I smirked up at the one and only Kennedy Brock.

“Thanks Brock. You haven’t been around to see me lately!” I pouted. He smiled.

“Sorry Poppy, I’ve been on tour and you’ve been occupied from what I understand?” I nodded. It was no secret to Kennedy, or anyone from Arizona that I had, had a problem but I had gotten help and some people knew how to accept that.

“Yo! Kennedy! Who is that sweet ass?” Vic Fuentes walked up to us, coming to a stop with a red cup in hand beside Kennedy.

“Aw. Victor, you don’t recognize Mike’s sister?” His eyes grew wide. The last time we had seen each other I had weighed at least 15 more pounds, my hair was blonde, and my boobs were out all the time. I was 16. What did you expect?

“Naw shit? Damn. Hey!” He extended his hand. I smiled taking his hand.

“Now then, who would like to get me a drink? I believe we’re celebrating my existence correct?” Kennedy smiled.

“Thats my girl.” He circled his arm around my shoulders. I scanned the crowd looking for the mop of curly black hair.

“He’s here. I think he’s over by the drinks so you should probably look happy.” Kennedy leaned down whispering in my ear. I looked into his eyes and nodded.

“Hey Vic, my hand is lonely, wanna keep it company?” A smile spread across his face and he took my hand. I looked at my feet and continued walking until we reached the table. I slowly raised my head and there he stood, not even five feet from me, his dark brown eyes watching me. I couldn’t blink or think. I couldn’t fathom that he was real.
“Hey Slade. Here ya go sweetie.” Kennedy handed me the drink. I took it with my left hand before realizing what was still on my ring finger.
Slade smirked and turned around. I wanted to cry. I lifted the cup and downed it in two gulps before picking up another and dragging Vic to an empty chair, passing Gidget in the process.

“Hey babe! Grab a drink and come sit with us!” I said blowing her a kiss and sitting on Vic’s lap. He smirked and began whispering sweet nothings in my ear while I watched the back of the man that had single handily ripped my world apart. I was going to get fucked up, I was going to forget him.
♠ ♠ ♠
BBQ