Status: Updating when I can which should be often... but it's my baby!!!!!!

Finding Calix

Ninja Bedtime Stories

Eventually we did break down the little guy although he was ridiculously stubborn, I suppose he got that from both his mother and I. And no matter how much I wished I could be that father that just steps in like the superhero and takes care of all his sons’ problems including the idiotic bully I had resolved to tell Calix. As much as I wished I had the confidence to be able to handle serious situations in Mason’s life, I didn’t know how this was going to work yet and I couldn’t just have met him in one day and decided to take over any amount of parenting. I was going to have to ease into it, which seemed to always be the best way to deal with Calix anyway.

Shortly after we got Mason to tell us about this kid a year and a half older than him, who liked to bully him because he was a little dorky and a so-called Mama’s boy, Mason had sacked out sprawled across our laps. We all remained on the couch for a while and for the first time in more than 24 hours I didn’t want to sock Oliver in the face.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and this lovely moment was no exception. Only about fifteen minutes after he’d fallen asleep the guys had to get up so they could go play. I stood carefully so I didn’t disturb him and picked up Mason as gently as I could and he barely stirred. I bid farewell to the guys and walked off the bus, we headed back to Calix’s bus, although bus call didn’t start for another forty minutes. Once we climbed aboard her bus Mason began to stir.

“Hungry.” He mumbled and my eyes widened in nervousness, what the hell was I supposed to make the kid? Was he allergic to anything, if he was wouldn’t Calix have told me? Unless she didn’t think that you were competent enough to figure it out. I sat Mason down on the couch and looked around the ‘kitchen’, not finding much.

“Wha’ do yeh want teh eat lil’ man?” I asked him and he looked up sleepily.

“Mommy calls me that, she also makes good pb and j’s with no crusts.” He replied looking up at me and I smiled.

“Have you ever had the bread for the pb and j’s toasted because that is where its at.” I replied and he shook his head no.

“Would yeh like teh try it?” I asked and he shrugged, prompting me to set to work making his pb and j. I was finished with them in less than five minutes and dug around in the refridgerator and found an apple juice box. I took the food over to Mason and he shoveled it into his mouth before I could even say enjoy.

“Jeez has no one fed yeh today?” I asked and he looked at me as if that was a stupid question.

“Of course they did, I ate two hours ago but I’m a growing boy and require sustenance.” He said and I was torn between laughing and raising an eyebrow, so I did both. This child was definitely a product of Calix’s loins.

“Okay then, well what now?” I asked and he yawned then smiled sheepishly.

“Now’s bed time I assume.” I said standing up and he nodded following.

“I promise I’m not usually this boring, it’s just these past few days have been…crazy and I’m drunk I’m so tired.” He said in explanation and I shrugged.

“Yeh don’ need teh explain it teh meh, once yeh get older you’ll realize tha’ staying up late it overrated.” I said and he laughed as I looked around at the bunks.

“Which one is yours?” I asked him and he pointed to one on the bottom row, which I must admit I found a little strange. Most children like the top bunks don’t they?

“Mom told me I couldn’t have one of the top ones because she was afraid I’d fall out. It was totally not cool.” He complained and I laughed as he crawled into the bunk. As he crawled under the covers I contemplated what to do next. Did I just walk out of the room or should I talk with him until he falls asleep. As it would seem Mason would, not for the first time today, solve my internal debate for me.

“Will you tell me a story, Mom always tells me one and I usually can’t sleep without one.” He pleaded and I nodded and sat down on the floor next to his bunk. Right, so what kinds of things to little boys like? Hmm, oh of course, Ninjas! So I continued to tell him a story about ninjas kicking butt and taking names. Once I finished I stood and started walking out of the room only to be stopped by Mason mumbling “Mommy tells ninja stories too.” I smiled and watched as his breathing began to slow and he began to snore ever so lightly.

“Goodnight Mason.” I said and went to sit on the couch in the main room. About ten minutes later the door opened and Calix walked in. She took in the scene around her obviously noting the missing Mason.

“Where’s Mace?” she asked and I motioned to the bunks.

“Crap I wanted to say goodnight and ask him how his day was, shit did he eat anything?’ she began worrying and pacing around the room. I stood and grabbed her shoulders.

“He’s fine. Yes I fed him, a toasted pb&j with no crusts with a healthy side of apple juice. I also read him a story goodnight.” I reported and she smiled in thanks.

“Good, I assume you had a good time then?” she asked and I nodded.

“I introduced him to the guys then we just talked for a bit. Uh by the way did you know that he’s being bullied by a kid named Tj?” I asked and her eyes widened.

“What? Why didn’t he tell me!” She cried outraged and I looked at her sadly.

“I fink he jus’ didn’t want teh worreh yeh.” I said and she sighed hanging her head letting her hair create a shroud hiding her face.

“Just wait until we get back home…this Tj kid will be eating through a straw. Oh god that was horrible… what an awful thing to say. I’m definitely going to hell.” She mumbled and I laughed.

“Yeh aren’t going to hell Calix, and we both know yeh didn’t actualleh mean tha’. You’re a pacifist teh the bone.” I said and she smiled sadly.

“Thank you for telling me” She said and I shrugged.

“What are dad’s for.” My mouth blurted before I could stop myself and her eyes widened.

“Well I’m knackered so I’m gonna go. I’ll see yeh tomorrow though?’ I asked and she nodded. I moved to hug her but both of us seemed to think better of it and just shook hands instead. To say it was awkward was a massive understatement. I left their bus and went to ours contemplating what Mason and I could do for fun tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right so, hello again lovelies. I know this is a bit late but life’s been crazy. I went to Chicago for a weekend, started school with two of the wrong classes in my schedule and it’s just been nuts. But anyway, I’m back at it with my nose to the grindstone. I have two things I’d like to say really quickly then I’m done so bear with me. First I didn’t have time to re-read or edit this chapter so if you see ANY mistakes LET ME KNOW! Secondly I’m not sure about writing Tom’s accent anymore. I know if I read it I would just read it with his accent but I’m not sure if you guys would. If you guys like me writing it out I will continue but just let me know how you feel about it. That is all, as usual comments make me happy so leave one if ya want. Until next week.