Sequel: Over Spring Break
Status: Slowly revising

Over Christmas Break

The Big Blowup

After using the restroom, David and I rejoined his family and ex-girlfriend in the kitchen. I still wasn't happy that she was there, but like Jon had said, you can't just kick someone out on Christmas Eve.

"Mom, Dad, this is my girlfriend, Harper. And before you ask, she is my host family's daughter. But it felt right."

"Harper, it's so nice to officially meet you. David's told us so much about his host family's daughter. It makes so much more sense now that I know the two of you are together." Andree Toews said to me.

"It's so nice to finally meet you too, Mrs. Toews. The same for you, Mr. Toews."

"Oh please, sweetie, we are just Bryan and Andree," she replied.

"Okay," I smiled and she returned it.

"I'm Lily, David's real girlfriend. You're just his fill in for me."

"Excuse me?" I looked the blonde girl over. She was a little taller than me with fake boobs and a fake tan.

"You heard me. He's still broken up about being drafted away from home and uses different girls to try and get over it."

"Lily," Andree started.

"No, Andree. It's the truth. He still calls me when he's drunk and gets together with some slut from whatever city he's in. Whenever he's home, he always comes right back to me."

I took a second to look around the kitchen and noticed that all the boys were gone and it was only us girls left in the kitchen.

"I'm sorry, but that can't be true."

"Oh really now, than why did he call me three weeks ago saying he did something stupid while he was drunk."

"Did he?" I asked, a little taken back. Andree tried to stop us by stepping between us.

"Girls, there's no need to argue. Lily, David is with Harper now. You need to understand that."

"What's going on in here?"

"Lily was just telling me that you called her after that night you took me to your game and we went out with the guys."

"I don't remember calling her."

"Oh, but you did. I'll even let you listen to the voicemail you left if you want."

"Now, wait a second. There's no possible way that I called her. Her number isn't even in my phone anymore."

"But you still called, here's the message." She started to play it off her cell phone and on came David's voice.

'Lil, I feel so alone. I keep doing stupid things ... and people. Last night was fun, but it won't go anywhere. I miss you.' She flipped the phone closed and put her perfectly manicured hand on her hip.

"David?" I looked to him for an answer. What I got was his shocked face and I just turned and ran towards the door. I slid my shoes back on, grabbed my coat, and I was out the door. I ignored the elevator and looked for the stairs. I was down the five flights as I heard David emerge into the staircase. He was screaming my name and hustling down. I exited the stairwell on the ground floor and ran into the lobby. "Which way is Navy Pier?" I asked the bellman.

"Take a right out the doors and go two blocks up and turn left." I nodded and smiled before running out the door.

I ran down the two blocks and turned the corner before David caught up with me.

"Harper, will you just stop?" he grabbed my arm and spun me around. "Just stop." I started to trip over my own feet, but he held me steady. "As much as I want to say I remember calling her, I don't. You know that road trip we lost two of our three games. I could've called after losing and gotten drunk before leaving that message."

"But you shouldn't have made the call at all. Getting drunk doesn't save you from being dumped, you ass."

"Harper, I haven't talked to her in over a year. There's nothing going on."

"It doesn't matter. I'm not going anywhere anyways right."

"Harper!" he yelled after me as I started sprinting through the throngs of people on the city of Chicago sidewalks. When I finally reached the Pier, I avoided going inside and just walked the area around. Eventually, I made my way to the Ferris Wheel and got on. I was the one lone person on the ride, and I was now crying. But nothing mattered anymore. I didn't have David anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll post the epilogue in a little while. And if you are interested in a sequel, comment now or there won't be one.