Status: Complete

Turbulence

Guess I Like Playing With Fire

“What are you doing here?” David asked, opening the front door to his Toronto home. “I thought you were in Winnipeg.”

“I was supposed to be,” I said, pushing past him and into the house. “I went to Pat’s early.”

“And decided to visit me, too?”

“Circumstances made me leave.”

“I’m so confused,” he chuckled, ushering me and my son into the living room.

“Me, too,” I admitted, sitting on the couch and letting Cameron run around.

“Do you want anything, before you start in on what happened?”

I shook my head and patted the cushion next to me. “I didn’t go to Winnipeg with Jon.”

“Why?”

“He wanted to the month to ‘think’ about us.”

“What did you do?” He groaned, already knowing it wasn’t going to be a delightful story.

“I went to Pat’s a couple weeks early.”

“And?” He pushed.

“It started out great. We sat and talked like we used to do. Brought Cameron to see his grandparents a few times. The other day they offered to look after him for the night, so Pat and I jumped at the offer. A night off from taking care of the boy is needed now that he’s curious.”

“Please finish this story with we talked for awhile and accidentally fell asleep on the couch watching an old movie.”

“Well, it would have,” I grumbled, glancing away from the man sheepishly. “I kind of fell into bed with him.” I paused, unsure if I should continue. “A few times.”

“You screwed Kaner?”

I cringed at the words, and nodded. “After we started, it was like I couldn’t stop.”

“And you thought fleeing to Canada was your best option?”

“When you say it like that, it sounds like I left without telling him.”

“I bet you did.”

“I left a note,” I argued.

“How considerate of you,” he chuckled.

“I was worried he’d find a way to make me stay. I’m already in enough shit, as it is, when I get back to Chicago.”

“You’re going to tell Jon?”

“I think I have to. He lives in my home, sleeps in my bed, I should probably drop the bomb as soon as possible. That will give him time to find a new place to live.”

“You think he’s going to leave?”

I rolled my eyes at his attempt at humour. “I’ve literally screwed myself into corner.”

“I don’t think that makes sense,” David frowned, trying to figure out my statement. “Whatever. Doesn’t matter. What does this mean for you and Pat?”

“Nothing. It can’t mean anything.”

“Wait, how many were a few?”

“What?”

“I just realised that you said you slept with him a few times. How many were a few?”

“The night his parents had Cameron, it was twice.”

“And then?”

“We stayed for a couple more days, and oddly enough it was a couple more times.”

“Jeez, Ceb. He’s not going to think this means nothing.”

“I know,” I groaned. “I done messed up. Pat’s going to read into it, and Jon’s never going to speak to me again. I guess its best that this is happening while Cameron’s too young to remember.”

“Did you really just try to see the positive in the situation?”

I shrugged, not sure what to say.

“Why did you do it? I thought you and Jon were solid.”

“We were, but threw up a wall during playoffs. I get that it’s a stressful time, but we fought nearly everyday. I guess it’s easier to be seduced by your ex when your relationship is on a break.”

“Or maybe you just like to get burned.”