Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Tinkums

Melody dropped her dufflebag down in the middle of the hallway, she had three rooms to choose from. The fourth bedroom didn't count as a choice since it belonged to John. It was the last door on the left, she assumed he probably locked it. A large dog sat at her side panting, and it wasn't even really that hot in the house.

"Duchess which room should I pick?" she asked looking down at the dog.

"Ooof." was Duchess' reply following a lick at Melody's hand. Melody narrowed her eyes and wiped her hand on her pants.

"Well you're no help."

"Try figuring out what to eat. Her choice is always dog food." John's deep voice said from behind her causing her to spin around.

"Clearly you ask the wrong question. So which room am I supposed to take?"

"I said to check them out and choose for yourself. They are mainly all the same except for the one next to mine which has a set of doors that lead out to a balcony, but let me warn you that balcony is also connected to a pair of doors that go to my room."

"Oo well I think I'll pick that one. I've always wanted a room with a balcony. Besides that way I'll feel more protected having a big strong man like you next room over." she said with a wink and picked back up her bag and started walking towards the room, swinging her hips as she walked.

******
"Good morning Denise." Melody said with a cheerful smile as she walked into the vet's...her office. Denise was already seated at the check in/out desk.

"Morning, so I have a question." she said placing her chin in her palm.

"Alright, shoot." Melody said as she placed her purse on the coat rack and grabbed her white lab coat and threw it on.

"What was the sheriff talking to you about at the diner?"

"Oh he was getting to know me, you see the first day I got here my Jeep broke down and it was just down the road from his ranch and he stopped to help me. He took me to his ranch where I met his brother and Cara. Well Cara told me how John had three spare bedrooms so I wouldn't have to pay for a motel room. Of course him being a sheriff he didn't trust me and was kind of rude to me, well yesterday he apologized and bought me dinner. He 20 questioned me and then gave me a place to stay when he knew he could trust me. You know he puts on a mean front, but he's quite friendly once he warms up to you."

"I suggest you stay away from him. Not because he's dangerous, but because he's off limits." Denise said crossing her arms in front of her on the desk. Melody raised a brow, not sure what to say to that.

"Off limits? He doesn't have a girlfriend so nobody is going to get jealous if that's what you mean."

"Michelle, just ask him about her tonight. Or wait for tomorrow and see if he asks for you to leave for the weekend, chances are he will." Denise replied, Melody wasn't sure if she should trust her. Denise was 25, married and had two kids. So it wasn't that she was after the sheriff herself; Melody frowned.

"I-" the door rang before she had a chance to reply. A tall skinny brunette carrying an orange tabby walked in.

Denise stood up and smiled as she set a clipboard up for the woman. "Hello Jennifer, how's Tinkums today?" Melody walked back to the examining room before she could hear a reply.

Melody never really learned who to trust growing up other then her parents. Back in school she never could make friends, even when she did the friendship lasted about a week for they either couldn't stand her obsession with studying or didn't get why she had to be a know-it-all. When she got into college nobody wanted to be her friend for she was still the age of a high schooler. She didn't mind being a loner...well not too much. There had been plenty of times she would sit on the stoop watching the neighboring kids running around playing together just hoping they'd stop and ask her to join in on their game of tag, or hide and seek. They never did.

Melody learned very quickly she was an outsider, it wasn't until she was a sophomore in college and a guy she had been considering cute asked her out then laughed at her for saying yes that she realized her braininess wasn't going to get her a man. So that's when she started saying whatever came to mind, John was the first guy she's really talked to and used it. So far the results were good, but he might be hiding something...then again Denise might be jealous that she got her grandmother's position and she's still the front receptionist.

"Dr. Grace, this is Jennifer, and this is her daughter's cat Tinkums." Denise said walking into the room holding the chubby tabby and she sat the cat on the examining table.

"Hello." Melody said with a smile and grabbed Tinkums chart from the counter. "What brings him in today?"

"Oh just a check up. Nothing wrong with him." Jennifer said with a smile.