Selfish

he

November 27th, 2010
--
Krista smeared her hand against the foggy surface of her bathroom mirror, the steam still looming all around her. A white towel was wrapped around her petite frame and her light brown hair hung over her shoulders like thick ropes. She not only looked at her reflection but also into it, staring deep into her light cerulean irises; it was like swimming in a bottomless ocean, stretching forever and ever. She just wasn't quite sure what she was looking for. . .

"Krista! Hurry up, sweetheart." Her mother, Grace, yelled out from across the hall, her voice reverberating throughout the rather empty house. For a family of only two, a house with that much room—four bedrooms and three bathrooms—was needless.

"I'm coming!" Krista responded, slithering into a floral print dress and a pair of black tights. A thin russet belt with a gold buckle hugged the curves of her waist, emphasizing her womanly figure. Grabbing her tan leather bomber jacket, she scuttled out the door.

Grace sipped her coffee patiently as she waited for her daughter to reach the end of the stairs. Scrutinizing Krista's appearance, she couldn't help but feel especially proud of her; she was beautiful, practically flawless, intelligent, and popular.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Krista questioned, furrowing her eyebrows together. The peculiar expression etched across her mother's face only left Krista in a quandary.

"Just admiring my daughter, that's all. Is that such a crime?" Grace said with a small smile as she opened the front door.

"Should be," Krista laughed softly; closing the door behind her while she followed closely behind her mother.

"Shoot, you didn't even get to have breakfast."

"It's fine. I'm not even hungry."

"We'll stop by—"

"I'll buy something for breakfast at school. Now, can we go?" Krista pressed, raising her brows.
. . . . . . .
Krista waited patiently in the breakfast line, hoping to buy something to eat; she was starving. She hadn't noticed in the car, but when she arrived at school, her stomach began to growl non-stop. Placing a ham and cheese croissant on her paper plate, she tapped her foot impatiently, wanting the line to go faster.


Out of the line, her eyes scanned across the rather busy cafeteria; she had arrived to school earlier than usual, and her friends weren't here yet. Not in the mood to socialize, she took a seat at the most vacant table where one boy sat there quietly, listening to his iPod. He had straight, dirty blonde hair and wore a plaid shirt with a black leather jacket.

"Hi, do you mind if I sit here?" Krista asked cheerily, waving subtly. When the boy didn't respond, almost as if her were ignoring her very existence, she sat down awkwardly across from him. "Nice to meet you, too," She grumbled bitterly under her breath.

Biting into her croissant ravenously, she occasionally glanced at the boy in front of her, her curiosity only heightening. She didn't recognize him from anywhere in the school; attending a small school like Oakton, Krista assumed he was a new student.

"What are you listening to?" She said, leaning over and stealing a glimpse of his iPod screen. "I love Dashboard Confessional." She squealed lightly, impressed by the new boy's choice in music.

"You listen to Dashboard Confessional?" He raised his brow questioningly and stared at Krista skeptically.

"One of my personal favorites, actually." She answered confidently, pleased by his reaction.

"Who are your other favorites?"

"Death Cab for Cutie, Temper Trap, and the Scene Aesthetic," She said, mentally enumerating all her favorite bands in her head. "Those are only a few of them though."

"I don't mean to come off offensive, but I would have guessed that you were more of a Taylor Swift fan. Cheesy love songs about fairytales and kissing in the rain seems more like your type, really,"

"You're so quick to judge . . . what’s your name?"

"Mason."

"Well, Mason, you shouldn't be so quick to judge a book by its cover." A small, playful smirk played across her face, her oceanic spheres twinkling brightly. "I'll see you around." She got up from her seat and disappeared out the cafeteria doors.