The Ghost That Saved Me

Proud

I walked away from Brady and went to go find my brother. I felt bad for wanting to leave early, but I couldn’t stay there any longer. I guess I could have, but I didn’t have a desire to.

A part of me thought that I was preventing myself from having fun; which in a sense I was, but the other part of me was too logical for my own good. It was supposed to be my night to break the rules and let loose.

The stupid part of me wanted to go back to Brady and tell him I was sorry for freaking out, but I knew I couldn't do that. I had my chance and I blew it. That’s what I got for being a loser.

I saw my brother laughing and smiling as he threw back more drinks. I wished I could be more like him. Sure, my parents thought he was a screw up and too much of a party animal, but he was seriously having the time of his life. Literally nothing could shake him. I admired that.

I remember he came home plastered one night with a bloody nose and a huge gash by his eye. At first I thought he might have fallen but then he told me he got into a fight. He was at a bar and this girl was being harassed by her boyfriend, so Marek said something like ‘I don’t think you shouldn’t put your hands on her like that, it’s not right’ and then the guy beat the crap out of him. It broke my heart to see my brother like that; obviously having lost the fight. But he was so proud of himself, because he didn’t back down from the fight and he stood up for someone he didn’t even know.

My brother was really something else. I was lucky to know someone like him. I was even luckier to be his sister.

Marek saw me, and walked over to drape his arm over my shoulders.

“Hey sis, are you having a good time?” He asked, and gave me a light squeeze.

I nodded. “Yeah. But um, I think I want to leave soon. I was tipsy before and I know if I stay I’ll get drunk. I don‘t think I want to be drunk.”

“What? You had a drink? Where was I? Did you like it? Why do you want to leave?”

I bit my lip. I wanted to tell Marek about Brady but I didn’t want him to beat him up over something stupid. He didn’t even try anything. He just asked me if I wanted to hook up and I declined. I was glad that I didn’t feel threatened by him. I don’t know what I would have done if he tried to force me. I’m not very strong. Perhaps I would have screamed and someone would have come to my rescue. I didn’t know why thoughts like that always wondered into my mind, but worst case scenarios always did.

“Why are you so excited?” I asked with a hint of playfulness. “I just want to go, that’s all. I’m quite tired. I don’t know how you party like this all the time.”

Marek laughed and let go of me. “I live for this. I could stay out all night. I’m glad you came though, really. I hope you come out again. I just want you to have fun. That’s all I want. You work so hard, you deserved a break.”

I smiled at my brother and folded my arms casually.

“Thanks for bringing me. You’re awesome.”

I left my brother alone so he could sober up before the drive. I could tell he didn’t want to go, but he was going anyway because it’s what I wanted; what I asked of him. Marek was such a good brother. He never annoyed me or caused me any trouble. He made my life so easy.

If my encounter with Brady went better I would have wanted to stay longer, maybe even as long as Marek wanted to. I could get used to going out once in a while, but that’s it. I couldn’t make it a lifestyle like my brother had.

I sat down on an empty chair and took out my phone and pretended I had friends to text. I ended up playing Fruit Ninja for the whole time, as pathetic as it was. I was just glad no one witnessed it.

When it was time to leave I said goodbye to Marek’s friends with him and we headed out to the car.

“Are you mad that I want to leave this soon?” I asked, hoping that he would say no.

“Of course not, Ray. It was your first night out. I’m proud of you!”

“Aw thanks, Mar. I‘m proud of you too.”

“What’s there to be proud of?” he asked as got into the car. “I don’t think I’ve done anything that you would consider praise worthy.”

I smiled and turned the volume down so I wouldn’t have to hear his crazy music.

“You’ve done lots of things that I would never do. You’re brave and fearless. I always want to be like you. I’m your little sister, Mar, no matter what you do I’ll always look up to you.”

“Aw, Ray. You’re the best little sister a brother could ask for. But I’m a really bad influence. I’m scared for you, because up until now, you’ve always had your front up when it came to coming out with me. I just hope I don’t get you in any trouble. Mom and dad would hate me. You’re the good one.”

I twirled my hair and looked at my brother. “Oh stop. You are who you are. Mom and dad just don’t understand you. But I do. You’ll find something to do with your life at some point. I really think you should keep up with your art. It’s so amazing. That’s what I’m proud of you for. You have the ability to paint beautiful things. I really believe you should share it with the world, Mar.”

I could tell that he didn’t want to hear me put him on a pedestal like that. He hated being maximized. I wasn’t sure why in the beginning but then I thought that maybe he was afraid of being put under pressure; like me. I was under a lot of pressure to do well. He was smarter than me in that way…he lived so that he didn't have to worry about much.

“Well see, Ray. I’ll come up with something. I know I can’t do this forever.”

“At least you know- SHIT, WATCH OUT!”

Everything happened so fast. There was a loud noise and a hard crash. And then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? You guys will meet Liam in the next chapter =]