I Can't Forget What You've Forgotten

Twenty Four

Kristy awoke later that morning, the bedside next to her empty as well as the room. Everyone had left to go explore the hotel in search for breakfast. She decided to take advantage of the silence and went to take a shower. Since no one was waiting on her, she had the chance of relaxing and taking her time, taking a moment to focus on her thoughts alone.

Things have been going well so far. She had met new people that she had never thought she’d be able to have, and a great boyfriend that took care of her no matter what. In all truth and honesty, she thought that it was too good to be true. How could life possibly be this good? She thought that there was always some sort of up and down, a balance that always weighed out the end of one’s day.

There has to be an end somewhere. It just didn’t seem possible. Nothing was built to last forever.

About half an hour later, she got out and pulled on a pair of knee-length black sweats along with a neon green sweater. She left her hair down to air dry and gathered up all her belongings, walking out of the bathroom and into the bedroom to store them away neatly in her suitcase. They were departing from the area tomorrow night.

“Hey,” a voice spoke up from behind her. Startled, she turned around from her corner to see Cassie sitting on the bed that she and Jimmy shared.

“Oh, hey.” Krystal smiled with a breath of relief. “When did you get back? Where’s everyone else?” she questioned.

Cassie pointed out the hotel room door. “Eating breakfast in Johnny’s room,” she replied. “Do you want anything?” She had only asked just to be polite, but there were other matters that she wanted to get to. The nerve was eating her inside out and it killed her to look at Krystal as a whole different person. She had to do it, whether the outcome would be good or not, or else it would never happen.

Kristy shook her head. “Nah, I’m good for now. Thank you anyway,” she declined politely and Cassie nodded her head, keeping it in motion for a while as she looked around the room.

How was she supposed to bring it up? What was she even supposed to tell her? She was scared and nervous. She had no way of telling what would happen once the words left her mouth. She had no way of knowing how one would simply react.

Kristy could slowly see the look of nervousness on Cassie’s face, mixing in with pain that she couldn’t comprehend. What was running through her mind? She could tell that she wasn’t mentally with her; Cassie had gone off in her own world.

Concerned, Kristy cautiously took a seat at the foot of the bed, turning so that her body would face her. “Cassie?” she called out, already forgetting what she had been doing previously. Cassie abruptly came back and returned her gaze to see that Kristy had surprisingly been sitting in front of her. “Is something wrong?”

She decided to break out with it, deciding that there was no use in stalling any longer with Kristy. “Uh, yeah, actually…” she blinked before focusing on the silver chain that hung around her best friend’s neck. She could feel Kristy staring at her, waiting and expecting for it to come. She looked back up to her slowly. “It’s… about you and Zack.”

Kristy’s face held an expression of pure confusion, turning her head to the side. “What about us?”

“It’s not what you think.” Her statement came out as a question, considering how she was uncertain if those were the right words to say.

“Cassie, what are you talking about?”

“I’m wondering why you’re still with him,” she replied bluntly.

It furthermore confused Kristy, her mind working on overload as she tried to figure out just exactly what Cassie was trying to tell her. “Why wouldn’t I still be with him?” She felt a spark of anger run though her as she spoke those words.

“You used to hate him before.”

“I didn’t hate him,” Kristy defended. Why is she making this up? Is she really trying to break us up? A million thoughts ran through her head as she tried to keep calm. She didn’t want to overreact just yet and quite possibly ruin whatever she and Cassie had. Who was she to say what she did and didn’t used to feel?

“Yeah, you did,” Cassie told her, trying to be firm and keeping her voice at a reasonable level. “Kristy, he’s lying to you.”

Kristy opened her mouth to talk but Cassie didn’t allow her to get far, already knowing that she was going to try and fight back. “He can’t—“

“Listen to me-“ she grabbed a hold of her shoulders, silencing her and causing full attention to what she had to say. “He’s lying to you about your past, about him, about everything.” Her voice seemed sincere and serious to Kristy. The emotions within her eyes – the pain, the anger. What was she supposed to believe?

“But… why would he do that?” Kristy barely whispered, trying to take it all into consideration. “Why would he lie?” She just wanted the truth and evidence.

“Because,” Cassie took a pause and deep breath in, “He’s selfish and just wants you to himself.” She could see the look of confusion cross Kristy’s face once more as her eyebrows furrowed together and her lips opened and closed, trying to form words.

Kristy hesitated. Did she really want the truth and honesty, or was she just fine with continuing to believe that things were currently the way they’re supposed to be? She had learned that the truth can be hurtful, but maybe she could be spared and get away with forgetting the past, live with no regrets. It was her choice – she didn’t have to be like everyone else.

“Cassie… tell me everything…” she whispered, convincing herself that this was for the best – this is what she wanted. She was trying to convince herself that she was ready for this.

Cassie shot her a sad smile. “I can only tell you the basics that I know; you kept most of the details to yourself.” A look of disappointment crossed Kristy’s eyes. “But you guys were together – he wasn’t lying about that. You told me that you were together for a while – until he cheated around the time you had to move away because of your parents—“

“He cheated on me?” Kristy interrupted in disbelief and Cassie nodded. “And why did I move away? Did something happen?”

“Yeah…” she said slowly. “Your parents had died in a car accident and you had other family members that wanted to take you in—“

“My parents are dead?” Kristy questioned in a whisper, her face fallen. A blurry image of a couple’s old photograph displayed in her mind, causing her to frown, focusing on the millions of thoughts running through her head. Who were they?

Cassie stared at her in curiosity. “What did Zack tell you?”

“I don’t know…” she trailed off, staring at the wall in front of her. “Tell me something: did we ever go to prom? Me and Zack, that is…”

Cassie shook her head sadly, a smile of sympathy visible. “You moved away before that.” She pieced together what was running through her head – what he must’ve told her, all the lies he made and the ones he may potentially make.

Kristy faintly nodded to herself, getting up and going over to the table to grab her purse. Tears began to brim her eyes as she thought over the few facts that Cassie had told her. She knew there was more to it, but she didn’t want to hear them. What’s the point? She’s been lied to enough already.

“Why would he do this?” she muttered to herself as she grabbed a jacket from within her suitcase, tossing it on.

“Are you okay?” Cassie asked cautiously from her place on the bed, watching as the lost girl shuffled around to gather little things into her purse.

She faintly shook her head. “I just need to be alone,” she informed her.

Cassie nodded, understanding. “Just be careful.”

Kristy stepped out into the hallway and quickly made her way down the hall towards the elevator. On the way, she saw Johnny coming back from where she guessed was the vending machines, with packets among packets of little snacks cradled in his arms.

“Hey, where you going?” he nodded at her, a bag of chips dangling in between his front teeth.

“Walk,” she answered simply with a smile and walked on.

She could hear him from behind her. “Alright, see you later.”

She waited in front of the elevators, alone from their lack of use in the late morning. She sighed in relief when the doors open and no one was inside. Stepping in, she took in a deep breath and leaned against the wall, hanging her head down as a single tear slipped down her cheek.

She knew it was too good to be true.
♠ ♠ ♠
Way overdue, I know =/ At least I did update.
Two chapters left, people. And I'm working on them now (: