Sequel: I'm A Mess
Status: up and running(:

Manage Me

Katie

Since Jack was out of the house for what seemed like the rest of the day, I took the opprotunity to start on his laundry. I had never seen clothing that was this dirty. So far, I had finished two loads and still had another two to go. It was remarkable how much cleaner the house seemed without the piles of soiled cloth everywhere. I was still feeling hungover and lazy so I didn’t start scrubbing the floors the way I should have. I settled for just vaccumming the surface dirt now that there wasn’t anything left on it. I had set an alarm on the washer that was loud enough for me to hear over the sound of the vaccumm and my iPod.

I broke out in an unexpected grin when one of the select few All Time Low songs came through my headphones. I couldn’t deny the fact that I was listening more intently to the guitar than I had before. It was infectious and I found myself singing along as I danced around with the vaccumm.

“When the lights go off
I wanna watch the way you,
Take the stage by storm.
The way you wrap those boys around your finger,
Go on and play the leader.
Cause you know it’s what you’re good at,
The low road for the fast track,
Make every second laaaaaast!”


I heard the buzzer sound upstairs and flipped the vaccumm off. I turned, still dancing, to make my way up the stairs and came face to face with my boss and the rest of his band. I felt myself turn bright red at their amused expressions. I stood like a dear in the headlights for a moment before running up the stairs.

Oh my god this is the most embarassing thing that has ever happened to me.

I silently began shifting the contents of the dryer into a laundry basket and then shifted what was in the washer to the dryer. I piled more clothing into the washer and started it again. My face was still burning as I started up both machines. I had made the decision that I would hide out upstairs for the rest of my shift. It wasn’t that long really. I started folding the clothes that were still warm from the dryer. Voices floated up to me from downstairs as I steadly worked my way through the load.

“Alex, I think you hired a fangirl.”

My face flushed again. I was not a fangirl. Yes I knew who they were and yes I had some of their music on my iPod. But I didn’t turn into a screaming, happy-tear-crying, I-will-rape-you-if-I-get-the-chance mess at the mere sight of them.

“Nah, dude, Katie isn’t a fangirl.”

I was shocked to hear the defensive tone in Jack’s voice. Also, he hadn’t refered to me as ‘the maid’. He had called me Katie. I couldn’t deny the fact that I liked the way it had sounded coming out of his mouth.

“But she is hot.”

I didn’t recognize that voice. I kind of wished it had been Jack though. I wanted to assume that he thought I was hot seeing as he had slept with me, but it could have been the alcohol. I stuck my earbuds back in, wanting nothing more than to drown out the sound of the boys just underneath my feet. By the time I had finished folding the last few items in the basket the dryer had finished it’s cycle. I replaced the dry clothes with the wet ones and quickly folded the clean clothing. I placed the piles of folded cloth in Jack’s room. I tried to avoid looking around but I saw something bright yellow placed on top of a dresser. My key. I snatched it up, hiding it inside of my bra and steeled myself to go downstairs. I prayed to God that Lily had remembered I would be getting off of work and would be waiting for me outside. As if on cue my phone buzzed in my pocket.

From: Lover Lil
I’m waiting outside, love. Want me to meet you at the door? ;)


Oh Jesus. The absolute last thing I wanted was Lily coming face to face with not only my lay from last night but also his friends, who had all caught me singing and dancing to one of their songs. I’d had enough embarassment for one day.

To: Lover Lil
You do that and I’ll destroy your Coach purse seam by seam.

From: Lover Lil
You wouldn’t dare.

To: Lover Lil
You really wanna take that risk?

From: Lover Lil
Bitch.


I smirked. That purse was her baby. It was one of the only things she had actually bought new. I knew she'd never risk losing it and she knew I would make good on my threat. I took a deep breath and made my way downstairs. The boys were sprawled out in front of the tv, video game controllers in their hands. They were so engrossed in whatever they were playing none of them noticed me. I wanted nothing more than to slip out the door, but I had to inform Jack that I would be back at the same time tomorrow. I cleared my throat. Zack and Rian glanced over. Jack and Alex were too busy cursing each other out. My face turned pink again as they openly stared at me. I shifted my gaze to my hands. Rian nudged Jack.

“Motherfucker, you just made me lose!”

Alex whooped in triumph and Jack scowled. It was kind of cute.

Stop right there! I told myself. He is your boss. You might have had sex with him but he doesn’t remember it. You should just forget about it too.

“I’m leaving, Mr. Barakat. I’ll be back at the same time tomorrow.”

I disappeared out of the door before he could say anything. I wanted to be as far away from there as possible. I leaped into Lily’s car. She gave me an odd look as she pulled away from the curb and I knew without asking exactly what she wanted to know.

“He didn’t recognize me. I didn’t tell him. I found my house key, and he walked in with his bandmates to find me singing and dancing to one of their songs.”

“Well it certainly sounds like you had an eventful day.”

“Lily, it was mortifying. I don’t even really like their fucking band! I’m never going back there ever again.” I buried my head in my hands.

“Really?”

“No.” I finally sighed after a few moments. “I need that job. Fucking hell.”

“Sorry, love. At least it’s only three more days, right?” I nodded.

“Shall we have a girl’s night?” I beamed and nodded again.

“Splendid.” Lily smiled at me.

A few hours, several cartons of ice cream, and a dozen repeats of the live action Peter Pan movie, Lily was passed out cold. My eyelids were drooping as well, but I needed to call my mother. She answered quickly and I heard Kade’s voice in the background.

“Hello, Kathrine.”

“Hi, Mom. Can you put him on the phone?”

The line went silent for a minute before my favorite voice in the world came through the speaker.

“Myyyyyyy!” He cried excitedly.

“Hi, baby. I miss you so much. Have you been having fun with Ma?”

“Yeah. We went to the zoo today!”

“Oh boy! Did you see lions?”

“And tigers! And bears!”

“Oh my!”

Kade burst into a fit of giggles and my smile stretched even wider. All thoughts of Jack and work and my shitty ass apartment vanished from my mind. All I was focusing on was the sound of Kade’s voice in my ear.

“When are you coming back, My?”

I sighed. How did you explain to a three-year-old that you weren’t allowed to come home? I couldn’t exactly tell him outright that my mother had kicked me out until I got my shit together or that I didn’t even have enough money to wash my fucking clothes in a real washer and dryer.

“Soon, bug. But, hey, maybe Ma will let you come play at the park with me on Friday? Would you like that?”

“Yes please!”

“Okay, I’ll talk to her. But, now it’s time for bed, so be a good boy and I’ll talk to you tomorrow. I love you, Kangaroo.”

“I love you too, My.”

And then his voice was gone, replaced by my mother’s.

“You may take him to the park on Friday, but only for an hour or so. Goodnight, Kathrine.”

Then the line went dead. I was irked at my mother, but that was nothing new. And a little bubble of happiness had built up inside my chest at the thought of spending time with my favorite little boy on Firday. I snuggled in next to Lily and slowly drifted to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ladies and Gentlemen: Kade(:

I got four new subscribers and four comments last chapter. You guys are wonderful. The live action Peter Pan is like my favorite movie ever. If you haven't seen it, you definitely need to. It's beautiful.

Special thank you to:
Poison. The. Hero.
bittersweet dreams;
Danelradcliffe1fan
and
new_yorkxo

Oh, and the song is Dear Maria, Count Me In by All Time Low. I love you all.(: