What Lies Beneath

Honest

I wasn’t sure if it was really because of what I had asked Brian earlier, that had made him act oddly towards Evie. But it might have been, and I felt kinda bad for meddling. I gathered my courage; I wasn’t going to lie about doing it to Evie. She was really nice and deserved to know what was going on.

“Well, earlier… Brian and I were talking,” I looked up at her, “and I asked him how he felt about you.”

She looked a little shocked at first, but then that turned to anger, “and what made you think that was any of your business?”

“Well, I was just hoping to help-“

“You don’t know either of us, “she snapped, “You need to just back off.”

And with that she stormed off to her spot by the sound equipment. I didn’t really think what I had done was that bad. But she was right; I didn’t know either of them that well. I was only trying to help. If she didn’t want me to help I would back off, I had never really been one to meddle in things like this. I had just thought I could have helped this time.

I shrugged it off and walked over to Jamie. He was sitting behind a cabinet beside the stage, just watching as the first opening band began to play.

“How’s it goin gorgeous?” he smiled up at me and patted the space beside him.

I took a seat, crossing my legs Indian style, “Alright I guess… I might have fucked up Evie and Brians friendship, and now Evie hates me.”

He looked a little stunned, “how did you manage that?”

I shrugged, “All I did was ask him how he felt about her, when we were talking earlier. And I guess Brians been ignoring Evie. I told her what I did, and now she’s pissed.”

He laughed, “are you kidding?”

I shook my head, and looked out at the band. They weren’t too bad, I didn’t know who they were though.

“That doesn’t sound like Evie… maybe she’s P.M.S.ing or some shit,” he chuckled.

We continued to watch the show. Sean and Rob occasionally coming over to see us. The show went very well; we didn’t have to fix much. We just got to enjoy ourselves. Brian even highfived me as they left the stage. I couldn’t have messed up things too badly if he was willing to do that.

We all set to work, taking things down. Packing up and putting everything back in the truck. Fooling around and messing with each other. I was really happy I had taken this job. Sure I hadn’t been doing it too long, but I didn’t see myself getting board of it any time soon. Not with co-workers like these.

Just as we began heading to the bus to grab our shower stuff, my phone began to vibrate in my back pocket, and The Circle Of Life began to play. An instant smile came to my face.

I pulled the phone out of my pocket and pressed the little green phone button, “Bunny!”

“Finally got a chance to call,” he chuckled, “how is everything going?”

“I told you, everything is going really good,” I said as I caught up to the guys.

“I know, things can change.”

“Two hours later?”

“Yeah.”

“You need to stop worrying, Bunny. How are things at the shop?”

“Same ol’ thing. Everyone misses you… Cameron is thinking of asking you to come back, if you’re willing?” I could just imagine the smile on his face, as he said that.

“Well, if he can wait until this tour is over I would love to go back.”

“You’re really serious about this job aren’t you?”

I laughed, as I grabbed some PJs, “obviously, Bunny. Why would I be here if I wasn’t serious about it?”

Sean wrapped his arm slowly around my waste, as was started to walk to the showers. I jumped a little, but smiled at him. My knees went a little week, and my heart started to race. I felt a sudden urge, almost a need, to kiss him. I somehow managed to keep my cool though.

“Well… just remember what I said before you left. I love you baby girl.”

I laughed, “Yeah right, you just miss having someone to cook and clean for you.”

He chuckled, “I miss that too.”

“Alright, well I can tell you wanna go to sleep. I love you, Bunny.”

“Night.”

And with that we both hung up. I missed my brother already. How sad was that? But after seeing each other every day, it was understandable.

“Who’s Bunny?” Rob chuckled as we reached the showers.

“My older brother,” I smiled, as I walked into the washroom.

It was similar to the last one, white and very clean. I was impressed at how clean these bathrooms were kept, actually. I was used to all public washrooms being at least a little dirty and sketchy.

One of the showers was already going, I could only assume it was Evie. I wondered if she was still mad at me. She had a fair bit of time to cool off. I just shrugged it off, and started to do my thing.

I loved showers. The hot water just washed everything away. All the stress and worries. I always felt better after. The only thing I loved more was baths. I could soak in a bath for hours. It made it easier to just sort through my thoughts, come up with ideas.

Evie was just getting ready to leave, as I exited the shower. I pulled my towel a little tighter around me, as to not have a wardrobe malfunction.

“Hay, Evie,” I wanted to see if she was okay, “I just wanted to apologise.”

Evie turned to me and sent me a dirty look before opening the door, “save it.”

I was a little take back. But just watched her leave. If that’s how she wanted to be, then fine. I would leave her alone. I quickly dressed in silence. I had never so easily pissed someone off.

When I walked out of that bathroom, Rob and Sean were waiting for me. They both looked a little confused, and Rob looked a little mad. I knew what was coming.

“What did you do?” Rob asked, sounding less them impressed.

“Whoa, what makes you think she did anything?” Sean looked over at Rob, arms crossed. It sounded like they had already been through this.

“Because Evie wouldn’t have been acting like that if nothing had happened.”

“Hay, guys,” I didn’t want them to argue, especially over me, “all I did was try to apologise, honest.”