Sequel: We All Fall Down
Status: Updates when possible.

Memories That Fade Like Photographs

And memories never seem to fade

The next morning, I felt a lot better than what I use to feel like. I feel more…happy. I looked over at my clock and it flashed 9:30 A.M. I rolled out of bed and decided on taking a shower.

As I was finishing straightening my hair I heard my phone ringing, I turned off the flat iron and ran over to my bed and picked it up without looking at who it was. “Hello?” I asked.

“Lucy! You forgot to message me last night!” Chase sang.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry. I swear I didn’t mean to. I just had to clean up and turn off the lights and”- I was cut short of my rambling when I he laughed, “Its okay, Lulu. I have those days too. When are you coming over?”

“I was just about to eat breakfast and then head over, why?”

“Eat breakfast here. My dad just made pancakes, can you make it here in like two minutes.” He asked as I grabbed my jacket and keys.

“I’ll be there in 15 seconds starting…Now.” I said as I hung up my phone and walked over to his house. I didn’t even get a chance to knock when he answered the door. “Wow, fifteen seconds to be exact. You’re good.” He smirked and I rolled my eyes. I pushed my way past him and into the house I have not seen yet. It looked like an ordinary house, very warm and cozy. I think I’m going to like coming here. “Kitchen is this way, my lady.” Chase bowed in front of me, pointing towards the kitchen.

“You’re so cheesy.” I laughed and walked over to the bar stool. When I sat down Bob walked into the kitchen and smiled warmly at me. “Good morning Lucy. Help yourself to whatever. I’m going to head to work now.” He said to me, but then turned his attention towards his oldest son, “Chase, do you think you can fill in Ramiro’s place today at the courts?”

“Yeah, that’s fine by me. I’m getting paid, right?”

“Most likely, but the shift is at twelve so you’re going to have to start getting ready soon.”

“Okay, I’ll be there. Have a good day at work dad.” He said to Bob as he left the kitchen.

“Thank you, Oh and Lulu, if Rian is still asleep by the time Chase leaves I give you permission to wake him up in anyway, shape, or form. You can do the same with his friends.”

“Okay, will do.” I laughed, “Bye Bob!” I called as he left.

“Bye kids!” he yelled as he shut the door.

After he left, Chase gave me two pancakes and beacon. He had a plate himself and we ate in silence. When I didn’t finish my plate, he ate the rest. I started to laugh as he filled his face with all the food. He made faces at me when he caught me staring at him. As he took a sip of his orange juice to wash the food down he made gulping noises and finished it off with an, ‘Ahh!’

“Do you enjoy making noises when you eat?” I asked him.

He set his empty cup down and wiped off his face, “Yes, I do. It brings out a better mood when people are quiet. By the way, you have a really cute laugh.” I started blushing and smiled sweetly at him and thanking him. “Do you want to watch TV before I leave?” he asked.

“Yeah, sure.” I answered and we both got up and walked over to the couch. He sat down and pulled me into his lap. I moved around to get more comfortable which ended up as me sitting close next to him and his arm over my shoulder. It was really sweet and it might have looked like we were a couple, but I know that it’s just a friendly gesture.

We’ve been watching TV for about a half hour when we heard footsteps coming up the basement stairs. When the door swung open and the three bodies that I met last night came walking through the door and they gave Chase and I weird looks. “Good afternoon brother.” Chase said without looking away from the TV, but my eyes stayed locked onto the three with different emotions. Rian had a confused look, the skunk hair boy named Jack had a shit eating grin and the cocky Alex kid looked like he was jealous. Now, that look confused me. I haven’t even known these guys long enough and they already look like I’ve known them for years. “Chase, can I talk to you for a second?” Rian asked.

“Sure, I have to get ready for work anyway.” He said as he got up from his spot and walked up the stairs with his brother. Right when Chase left his spot my eyes fell back to the television set. I wasn’t really shy to talk to Jack and Alex but the way they were looking at me and Chase just gave me the creeps. But as always, I never get my way. The two bodies sat on the opposite sides of me and I could tell that the Jack guy was about to do something with his arm. “If you want to keep your arm, I suggest you keep it to yourself.” I said keeping my eyes locked on the screen.

“Damn, she’s good.” He laughed. “I have a question for you Miss…” he trailed.

“My names Lucy, feel free to call me Lulu if you’d like.”

“Okay, so Lucy, if you don’t mind me asking, are you and Chase dating?”

“No, we’re not. Why do you ask?”

“Just wondering, because a few seconds ago, you and Chase were all over each other.” He exaggerated.

“As I recall, his arm was over my shoulder. I don’t see how that means we were all over each other or how it means we’re dating. Plus, he’s leaving for college and I just met him last night. I don’t think there would be a way for me to date him even if we tried.”

“So you would date him?” Alex asked.

“No, I wouldn’t. Why? Because I don’t date anyone older than me and again, I barely know him.” Alex was about to say something else but Chase and Rian both came downstairs arguing.

“No, Rian.” Chase said.

“Just tell me.”

“No, end of discussion, I leave tomorrow. So, get the thought out of your head. NO.”

“Fine, I believe you. See you later.” Rian said as he came over to the couch and lay on top of Alex and me, his head landing in my lap. I laughed at how silly he looked and said, “Good afternoon Rian. Glad to see you’re up.”

“Good afternoon to you to Lulu. When did you arrive at this lovely place I call home?”

“Well, I woke up around 9:30 and your brother called me around 10:25 and I came over fifteen seconds after the call and then I said bye to Bob, your father, and I ate a delicious breakfast that your brother finished for me. Then, you and your friends came upstairs.” I explained as I ran my hands through his wavy locks.

He laughed, “Thank you for the story. I have a question though. About you and my brother…”

I sighed, “Are you going to interrogate me, just like your friends did?”

“Rian, leave Lucy alone. I already told you it’s not true.” Chase said coming out of the bathroom. “I just want to see if what you said was true or not.” Rian said to his brother.

“What is it Rian?” I asked.

“Are you and my brother a thing?” he questioned.

“Yes, Rian, your brother and I are secretly dating. But, don’t tell anyone. We don’t want it to get out.” I said in a serious tone. I heard Chase laughing and Rian’s eyes grew wide at my response. I couldn’t hold in the smirk that was growing on my face and Rian noticed it and relaxed.

“I’m confused. Are you or are you not?” he asked.

“No, Rian, we’re not. Chase and I are just friends. Did you forget that we all met yesterday? Oh and I don’t date guys older than me. And he’s three years older. So, I’m good.”

“Okay, I believe you. Sorry, Chase just making sure.”

“It’s alright bro. I’m leaving now. Have fun Lulu.”

“I’ll try.”

“Bye!” he said leaving out the front door.

Suddenly, it became quiet in the house and the only thing you could here was the TV. I felt really awkward sitting here with three guys. Not that I haven’t before, it’s just that I barely know them. We’ve been sitting here for about an hour with no one talking. Then there was a knock on the door.

“It’s open!” Rian yelled and then a boy with short pitch black hair and blond streak in his bangs came through the door. He was really cute and I couldn’t help but watch his every move. He stopped dead in his tracks when he noticed me and his mouth hung open and his eyes went wide. “Zack, you might want to close your mouth.” Alex laughed at the kid name Zack and his mouth shut, but he stayed standing where he was. “Dude, what’s wrong with you? Get over here.” Alex continued.

Zack shook his head and came over and sat down on the love seat. He kept his eyes on the ground and stayed quiet. I kept staring at him though. He didn’t look like the shy type, but damn this kid was good looking. “Zack, you okay?” Jack nudged his arm. Zack finally looked up staring straight at me. “Yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

“Well, you walk in here all fine but then you stopped and stood there like you saw a ghost. So, there must be something wrong.” Jack continued.

“No, I’m good. Just a little confused is all.”

“Oh, I forgot. Zack this is Lucy, Lucy this is Zack.” Rian pointed to us when he said our names. The strangest thing happened too. I wasn’t myself, I didn’t say hi to him and he didn’t say hi to me. What the hell is up with that? “So, I’m guessing the awkwardness in the room isn’t just me?” Alex said. Finally I tore my vision away from Zack and onto the television. I could feel all of them staring at me now. It was getting really annoying too. “Pictures last longer.” I said without looking at them.

“Do you guys want to go practice?” Rian asked.

“Practice for what?” I asked looking down at the boy lying in my lap.

“Our band, do you want to watch?” he asked as they all stood up.

“Sure I’ll be down there in a second. I’m going to go grab a glass of water.”

“Okay, just take the basement stairs and you’ll see us.” He said as they walked away. I walked into the kitchen when I heard someone walk behind me. “If you’re trying to scare me it’s not working.” I said turning around to come face to face with Zack. His eyes were studying me closely, like he was reading right through me. Finally, he spoke to me. “Where did you live before here?” he asked.

“Atlanta, Georgia?” I gave him a confused look. “Why?”

“You look really familiar. Where do you live now?”

“Next door, I live with my Aunt Katherine.”

“So, you’re Katherine Johnson’s niece?” he asked as if it were a lie.

“Yes, I am. Is that a bad thing?”

He shook his head and then smiled giving me a hug, “I’m guessing you forgot who I was but I’ll just say it. I’m Zachary Steven Merrick. Your aunt and father are best friends with my parents. We only knew each other when we were little.”

“I’m confused?” I said as I hugged him back.

“Remember when you came here for your seventh birthday and the little boy put gum in your hair and you had to cut your long hair?” he asked.

“That was you!” I exclaimed. He pulled out of the hug and leaned on the counter laughing and nodding. I pushed his arm back in a friendly gesture and smiled. “Well, it’s good to finally meet you again. Even though, you made me cut off my long hair.”

“At least it grew back.” He pointed at my long brown hair.

“Yeah, after a bunch of hair cuts.” I laughed.

“Zack, Lucy are you two screwing up there?” Alex yelled from the bottom stairs.

“Yes, we are! Do you want to join?” I yelled back as a joke. I guess he took me seriously and came running up the stairs. When he saw me and Zack fully clothed he groaned and gave me an evil eye.

“You really thought I was serious? You’re so gullible Gaskarth.” I laughed.

“How do you know my last name? Have you been stalking me?” he wiggled his eyebrows.

“Please! No one can resist the sexy Alex Gaskarth.” I said moving my hands down the side of my body. His face went pale and he walked away without another word.

“What was that about?” Zack asked

“He and Jack came over last night to take Rian to the movies and after I met them Alex and Jack were upset with Rian saying he could’ve at least warned them that I was a girl and when I was eavesdropping on their conversation Alex said that and I let him know that I could hear him so I yelled ‘I sure can!’”

He laughed, “I wish I could’ve seen his face. That normally doesn’t happen.”

“That’s what Chase told me.” I smirked.

“Well, we should get downstairs.” He suggested. I nodded my head and we walked down to where the other three boys were at.

“What took you so long?” Rian asked.

“Zack and I had a reunion in your kitchen.” I said sitting down on the couch in front of their set.

“Reunion?” all three of them asked. I looked at Zack and smiled saying, “Turns out I met Zack when we were little. He put gum in my hair and I had to cut off my long hair.”

“So, you two already know each other?” Jack asked shocked.

“Yup.” We both said by popping the p.

“Okay, can we get started now I want to go over Last Flight Home.” Alex said with an edgy voice. The guys all nodded and tuned their instruments as I sat there looking at them all. Then Alex asked if they were all ready and Rian beat his stick together for Alex to sing, “Shut your mouth and listen closely, because this silence isn’t easy. So, I’ll break it even harder than before.”

When he started singing I was amazed. I would’ve never imagined how into music they were. They were just breath taking. Zack and Jack looked so into their music, Rian looked like he’d been playing the song for years and Alex. His voice was something I would never imagine. He’s an amazing singer but the lyrics were so strong. The way he sang the words like he wanted something to be heard or someone to know something?

“What do you think Lulu?” Rian asked after they finished the song.

“Honestly?” I asked with a smile. They all nodded their head and I smiled even bigger and said, “I loved it. It was really good. Who wrote it?”

“Alex wrote the lyrics. And we just added onto it with our parts and figured it out from there.” Jack stated. I smiled and looked at Alex, “You’re a really great writer Alex. I would’ve never thought that you were such a poet.”

He smiled, “Thanks Lucy.”

“Wow, that’s like the first time I’ve seen them like that.” Rian whispered to Jack and Zack but I zoned all of their whispering out when Alex came over and sat next to me. I looked at him and smiled which made him smile back. “So, what made you write the song?” I asked.

“I wrote it because I wanted my parents to see that I want to live my dream as a rockstar and that when we come home from our first warped tour we’ll have a fan base bigger than the one we have now.”

“There’s more to it though, isn’t there?” I asked looking straight into his eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“Well you wrote, please wait till I come home, don’t turn my heart to stone. It means more than what you’re telling me.”

He sighed, “I wrote it for a girl that I had a thing with. I told her about me going to warped tour and she got upset saying that it ruined all the plans that she made for us over the summer. I wrote it after our fight and when we played our first show here in Baltimore, which she came to; she listened to it, but didn’t get it. And since I didn’t cancel going on tour she told me it would be better if we just separated till I got back.”

“She probably failed literature if she couldn’t see what you meant.”

“She only passed because of me.” He scoffed.

“Well, if I were her, I probably wouldn’t have separated with you even if I didn’t understand. I’d be proud that you went and followed your dream because you got a chance to live it.” I said staring straight at him.

“So, if you did do what she did. What would you have done all summer long?”

“Well, if it were me I’d be hanging out with my best friend and trying to make the best of it.”

“What if you were a whore?” he said slowly.

“Your girlfriend is a whore, isn’t she?”

He nodded, “To everyone else, yes. To me I saw more. Thinking I could change her ways, I guess I was wrong about that though.”

“Have you seen her since?”

“No, but we’ve talked and she said she’ll come to the bonfire tonight. I don’t think I want to get back together with her though.” He said looking at the ground.

“Do what you think is best. Tell her tonight, but remember that there are so many people out there that would be better for you. Don’t just stay with one because you think that’s all you can get. The truth is, you’re so much better than she is.” I said grabbing his hand, reassuring him that I knew what I was talking about. He smiled at our hands and then back at me. “Thank Lucy.”

“Anytime, Alex.” I said leaning my head on his shoulder.

“Hey guys, how’s it going?” Jack asked sitting next to me as Rian sat on the other side of Alex and Zack sat on the floor in front of us. Alex and I pulled our hands apart and sat straight up staring at our friends.

“It’s good, just talking about the song.” Alex said.

“Really? It looked like a little more?” Jack smirked.

“No, that’s what we were doing. What time is it?” I asked.

“It’s four o’clock on the dot. Why?” Rian said looking at his watch.

“I think I’m going to head home. When are we leaving for the bonfire?” I asked.

“Uh, I actually have to get there early because I usually set it up. Do you want to come?”

“Or I can drive her there.” Alex said quickly.

“Are you okay with that Lucy?” Rian asked me.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I don’t have a problem with that. What time are you picking me up at?” I asked Alex.

“I’ll pick you up around 7:30-ish. That okay with you?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll see you then.”

“Okay, bye Lucy.” Alex smiled.

“Bye Alex, Bye guys.” I waved at them and walked up the basement stairs and out the front door. I decided against listening to what they were going to say to Alex because I was pretty sure they’d hear me leave first.

I walked back to my house and went straight to my room. I grabbed my phone and messaged Brooke.

Hey! Are you busy? –Luc

No, I’m not. What’s up? –Bee

I’m going to the bonfire tonight and I have nothing to wear! –Luc

I’m calling now! –Bee


And right as I got the message my computer started ringing. I went over and answered and I was relieved to see my best friend came to my rescue. “Lucy, you called the right girl.” My blonde best friend said as she popped up on my screen.

“Brooke, I seriously need your help. I have no idea what to wear. I’ve never been to a bonfire on the beach!” I exclaimed. I didn’t know what to do about tonight, honestly. I just met four of the people and I have more to come. Plus, most of them are guys and I have school starting. I’m so confused on what to do! I’ve never been to a new school in my life!

“Lulu, stay calm. Don’t worry about a thing.”

“How do you know I’m worried?”

She scoffed, “Many reasons, One, you’re biting your lip. So, stop because it’ll start bleeding. Two, your probably shaking your knee, aren’t I right?” she asked and I nodded because she was right, “And lastly, you started holding your necklace.”

“Sorry, I can’t help it. They’re just habits.”

“It’s alright, but stop with the lip unless you want it to be all bloody.” She stated. “Now, stand up and show me what you’re wearing at the moment.” I obeyed her command and stood up to where she can see my outfit. I was wearing my favorite blue skinny jeans, my Ramones t-shirt, and my grey hoodie.

“Change to those shorts that you bought last week, and change your top to a tank top.”

“I’m not sure. What top should I wear?”

“Wear that black tribal looking one. And put on those really cute sandals you got from your aunt.”

“Thank you, Brooke!” I said as I walked into my closet. I quickly changed into the outfit she had picked out and adding a bracelet to match it out. I looked in the mirror and when I was satisfied with how I looked I went back to my laptop to show Brooke. “How’s this?” I asked coming back into view of my best friend.

“It’s gorgeous. Now, why do you want to look so cute? Is it because of that guy that took you away from me last night?”

I blushed, “No, it’s not him.”

“It’s one of his friends, isn’t it?” She asked happily.

“Kind of, sort of, I’m not sure.”

“What’s his name?” she teased.

“His name is Alex. He’s one of the guys that came to pick up Rian.”

“I see. Wait; tell me everything that happened starting after I logged off.”

“Okay, well after you logged off, we went downstairs and I met Alex and Jack. When I said I wasn’t going with I walked away but started eavesdropping on their conversation after I heard Rian cry an ‘ow’.”

“And…”

I laughed at how into listening she was on this, “Okay, well Jack and Alex got upset because Rian didn’t tell them that I was a girl and to Alex I was ‘fucking hot’.”

“That’s a good thing!” She said ecstatically.

I continued, “I guess so, but Alex was being all cocky saying, ‘no one can resist the sexy Alex Gaskarth.’ And to let them know I could hear them I yelled out, ‘I sure can.’”

“One word: Rejection.” She said through her laughs, “He didn’t even say it to your face! I guess they learned a lesson. To make sure you left the room completely.”

“I know. They did learn because earlier today, before I left Rian’s house, they were practicing a song they wrote.”

“They’re in a band!” my friend yelled.

“Yeah, they even went on warped tour this summer.”

“Maybe I saw them? What are they called?”

“I have no clue, I never asked. They’re really good though.”

“I believe you on that. Oh, and what happened when you left?” she reminded me.

“Well, after they played, I talked to Alex about the song and what made him write it. He said it was for his parents to understand him wanting to live out his dream, but I knew there was more to it.”

“Knowing you, you asked him and he said…” Brooke trailed.

“He said it was written for his girlfriend who he wanted to wait for him. They were suppose to do a lot this summer, but didn’t because of touring. He told me that she was upset that he ruined their plans and she didn’t understand the meaning of the song, so she said it would be best for them to separate for the summer till he came back. Tonight, they’ll be seeing each other at the bonfire but he said that he’s not sure if he wants to get back together with her.” I finished up my summery of what happened.

“Wow, where were Jack and Rian?”

“They were talking about something, but when Alex and I got into a comforting position they sat by us and asked how we were. Zack was there too.”

“Who’s he?”

“He’s their bassist. And do you remember when I came home from visiting my aunt after my seventh birthday?”

“Yes, I do. You came home with your hair cut shorter!”

“Yeah, well I got it cut because Zack decided to put gum in my hair. His parents were best friends with my aunt and dad.”

“So, you’ve known him since you were seven?”

“Well, we never spoke to each other. When he walked into Rian’s he remembered me, but I didn’t remember him. When he told me about the gum incident, that’s when I started to remember.”

She laughed, “Looks like the boy had a crush on you when he was younger.”

“He’s not that bad looking now.” I smirked.

“One guy at a time, Lucy!”

“Geez, I’m not a whore. I’m just saying, to allow you in on information, that they’re all good looking.”

“Thank you, then. What time do you have to leave?”

“7:30-ish, it’s six o’clock now.”

“Okay, who’s driving you?”

“Alex is…” I said slowly.

“I want to meet him!” she yelled.

“No!” I scowled playfully.

“Fine…” she agreed. Our conversation went on with me helping her pick an outfit for her party and how life’s been going with her. I really miss my best friend a lot. I wish we still didn’t have to live in different states. It’s my entire fault! Why did I have to leave my window open? Why did I even sneak out? It was just one stupid party!

When Brooke had to go I found a way to release my anger and pain. Not the way that people may think but something more to my taste. I found myself writing in a journal; a journal written to my parents and to myself.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I’m sorry for what I put you through that night. I didn’t think any of that would happen, especially to you guys. Everyone told me not to blame myself, but what else am I suppose to do? It was my fault. I’m the one that left the window open. I’m the one who didn’t care about if I got caught or not because I knew you wouldn’t punish me too harshly. I guess I was mistaken.
I was mistaken that night because I lost both of you. I lost you both because I decided to rebel against your wishes of my safety. I’m sorry that you two had your lives taken because of a mistake I had made. No words can describe how much I miss you both. The only thing I have left of you is your wedding rings hanging from my silver chain. It’ll stay there for as long as it can. I don’t want to lose the only part of you I have left. I love you forever and always.


Yours Truly,
Lucy Ann Johnson


As I finished my signature there was a knock on my door. I wiped away they stray tears on my face and told the person to come in. I put the journal in the drawer of my nightstand and turned around to my visitor. For me thinking it was my aunt, I was surprised to see the face of Alex Gaskarth.

“Hey, you ready?” he asked.

“Oh, I thought you were my aunt. How did you get in?”

“I passed Kat on the driveway. She let me in and said you were in here.” He said moving closer to me, taking a better view in my room.

“That explains a lot. Well, I’m ready so let’s go.” I said walking past him, except his hand grabbed mine and pulled me back. “You’ve been crying.” He said staring at my crystal blue eyes. I looked away and pulled my hand out of his grasp, but he held onto my hand tighter and looked at my arms. “What are you doing?” I asked ripping my hand from his grasp.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Nothing, why?”

“Again, you’ve been crying. Why?”

“I miss home, that’s all.” I said. It wasn’t technically a lie because my parents were my home. But they’re gone now. So, I have nothing. But, I couldn’t tell him that.

He sighed, “Okay, let’s go.” And he grabbed my hand and led me down the stairs and out of the house. We waved goodbye to my aunt and drove to the beach. It was twenty minutes away, but worth it. Most of the ride was silent until Alex sighed and asked, “Why were you really crying?”

I looked at him and didn’t change my emotion as I said, “I was writing.”

“What were you writing that made you cry?”

“I can’t tell you.” I stated simply, looking out the window.

“Is it a diary?” he joked.

“Something like that.” I mumbled.

“We’re here…” he said and parked the car. “Shit.” He said under his breath staring straight out the window. I turned my gaze to the spot where Rian and the guys were. Rian was with some girl, Zack and Jack were talking to each other and a blonde girl close to everybody was sitting by the fire talking to another guy, I haven’t met. “I’m guessing the one with Rian is Kara, his girlfriend. So, the blonde is Lisa?” I asked.

“How do you know her name?” he looked at me quizzically.

“I like to eavesdrop, remember?” I smirked. He rolled his eyes and smiled at me. “You’re not like the girls around here.”

“Maybe that’s because I’m not from around here.”

“Really? You live here though?”

“I moved here three weeks ago. I used to live in Atlanta, Georgia. What made you think I’ve lived here my whole life?”

“You and Zack, you two had a ‘reunion’.”

I laughed, “His parents were best friends with my aunt and dad.”

“I see. Now, I understand.”

“That’s good. Now, can we get to the bonfire or is there anything I can help you with?”

“Actually, yes, there is.”

“And what’s that?”

“I decided I don’t want to get back together with Lisa, but I don’t know what to say to her.”

“Tell her the truth; tell her how you feel.”

He nodded, “Okay, now we can go.” Alex and I both got out of the car and walked up to the fire pit. Once we were steps away Jack took notice in us and bolted towards us. For him being a tall lanky kid, he was able to knock down the both of us in one jump. Alex and I landed on our backs to the sand and Jack landed on top of us. Somehow turning his body horizontally? “Jack, can you get off of us now?” I asked between my laughs. We’ve been lying in the sand laughing for about two minutes now with no movement. Finally Jack got up and helped me up, leaving Alex on the ground. I held out my hand towards him and when he took it I overheard the blonde girl say to Zack, “Who the fuck is she?”

“Lucy, this is Kara, Matt, and Lisa. Ladies and Gentleman, this is Lucy. She’s my neighbor and somehow she and Zack have been friends since they were seven. She’s living with Kat now.” Rian said happily. I waved to the three new people and got to hellos back but Lisa just gave me a nasty look.

“So, why did you move out to Baltimore?” Kara asked.

“Uh, my parents are on a trip for a while, so I’m living with my aunt.”

“Where are your parents?” she continued. I was starting to get uncomfortable with the questions and before I could answer Zack said, “They’re going on a world wide trip. Vacationing in every place they can get to.” I shot him a smile and he nodded his head, and then stood up. “Lucy, can I talk to you for a second.”

Now, I got confused, and I guess everyone else was too. “Okay?” I stood up and walked with Zack to the shoreline. He sat down and motioned for me to do the same. When I sat down he pulled me into a side hug and I immediately leaned my head on his shoulder and whispered, “You know don’t you?”

I heard him take a deep breath, “Yeah, my mom told me two weeks ago. When I saw you earlier today, I didn’t really want to bring it up. That’s why I couldn’t meet your gaze till we were alone; because I was afraid I might’ve said something stupid like bringing it up.”

“If you brought it up then, I would’ve been so scared and terrified on how a creeper like you found out who I was.” I joked, trying to change the mood.

“But, I told you that we knew each other.”

“Yes, you did. But that was when everyone was gone and you stared at me like a science experiment.”

“I was just seeing if you were the right girl. You look a lot different then you do when we were seven, and our families stopped giving each other Christmas cards after seventh grade, so it’s hard to keep track on what you’d look like.”

“Why would you care on what I looked liked?”

“Because I was a horny little boy and I thought you were a goddess for our age.”

“Zack are you seriously telling me this.” I laughed.

“What? It’s not my fault you were gorgeous, you still are now, but I don’t have that huge crush on you anymore.” He confessed.

I started to blush and had a slight giggle at his confession. I can tell that Zack is a really nice person. He may not have been when we were younger but he sure is now. He’s sweet, charming, and has a great personality. With his smile, he could probably make a gloomy day turn into the best just because of it. He’s always happy and gives out great advice. I’m glad I got to know him this time, and I’m even happier that he gets to stay in my life… unless something bad happens again.

Zack and I returned to the bonfire after we were done catching up on our childhood. As we approached the warm circle around the fire everyone had already found a place to sit. Kara and Rian were cuddling next to each other whispering, Jack was talking to Matt, and Alex and Lisa were on opposite sides of the pit. You could tell by the way Lisa was shooting daggers at Alex that she was more than upset, but Alex didn’t pay much attention as his gaze shift uncomfortably from one side of the sand to the other.

I ignored the feeling of sitting next to Alex and let Zack go there himself. Instead, I decided to go sit next to Jack and Matt and learn something new about them. “Hey guys.” I said quietly sitting between them. They both looked at me and replied, “Hey.”

“What are you guys talking about?” I asked.

“We were just talking about how Lisa looks like she’s going to kill Alex. I think she doesn’t like you.” Jack said. I ignored his statement on her not liking me; I kind of caught that vibe before she even knew my name. Instead I asked, “Have they talked yet?”

“No, they’ve been seated like that since you and Zack left. I don’t get why she’s mad at him though? She broke up with him and I doubt she even had a thought of him while we were gone.”

“When Kara got here, she told Rian and me that Lisa partied all the time and that she even caught her at a party pulling some other guy into a bedroom.” Matt explained.

“Wow, that’s really rude. Why is Alex even with her?”

“He thought he could change her.” Jack shrugged.

“Are they getting back together?”

“Knowing Alex, he won’t go back with her.”

“How would you know?”

“I’m his best friend, plus he’d have his tongue down her throat by now if they were back together. He probably already met someone new.” Jack explained.

“That’s why he doesn’t want her back, because he likes someone else?”

He nodded, “Yeah, and I think he really likes her. I’ve never seen him act so different. It’s only when she’s around though.” He said giving me a strange look. “What?” I asked.

“Nothing, it’s not important.” He paused and looked around, “Rian, where’s the good stuff?” he yelled.

“Chase didn’t buy any because he took a shift, why?”

“Then how are we going to get the party rolling?” Jack asked looking at Rian deep in the eyes, but he didn’t answer. “Exactly, now someone’s going to have to go back to their place and steal some out of the liquor cabinet.”

“Or someone can drive me to the nearest liquor store and I’ll buy it.” I suggested. All eyes landed on me, including Alex whose eyes have been on the ground for who knows how long? None of them said a word though, so I figured they were wondering how it would be possible. “It’s called a fake ID. Now, who wants to drive me to one?” I asked getting up and brushing sand off of my legs.

“I’ll drive you.” Alex said quickly. He stood up and walked towards me. I shrugged my shoulders and followed him to the car. When we got in and started driving he spoke up, “Do you like Zack?” I was shocked at the question, he said it so abruptly and I didn’t expect it. “Yes, I do. He’s a really nice friend.”

“No, do you like, like Zack?”

“You’re kidding right?” I laughed, “I don’t like Zack in that way…” I explained. Then I thought back to what Jack said, ‘I think he really likes her. I’ve never seen him act so different. It’s only when she’s around though.’ So I decided to investigate, “Why would you care anyway?” I asked not sounding suspicious. He was quiet for about a minute till he stuttered, “I was just wondering, plus he has a girlfriend and I didn’t want you to feel like he was leading you on or anything.” The way he said it was a definite lie. I know Zack doesn’t have a girlfriend because he told me. “Who’s he dating?”

“A girl at his school, none of us guys have met her yet though.”

“Oh, okay. That’s interesting…?” I mumbled.

“We’re here, do you need any help?” he asked.

“Uh, only if you keep quiet and don’t say anything when I pay.”

“Okay.” He smiled and we got out of the car. We walked into the store and the smell of alcohol was intoxicating my nostrils. I started walking with Alex following closely behind. I grabbed a case of Guinness 250, Mike’s hard lemonade, and Smirnoff Ice. I let Alex carry the cases for me while I grabbed a bottle of Jameson whiskey, Jack Daniels Whiskey, and a bottle of the hardest Tequila I could find.

“You sure know your drinks, don’t you?” Alex asked as I reached for the bottle of Tequila. I didn’t need to turn to see the smirk plastered on his face to answer, “Wait till you see me party.” I heard him chuckle after my comment and I smiled at him and we walked towards the cashier. I paid for the booze with no problem and there were no questions asked about my ID, It was a piece of cake. Alex and I loaded up the trunk with the drinks and we drove back to the beach quietly. When we got back with the drinks Jack was really happy but then he got confused and asked, “We have no cups, how are we suppose to drink any of it?”

“It’s beer dumb ass. Drink from the bottle.” Matt laughed.

“I was talking about the harder shit!” he exclaimed.

“Jack calm down, just drink it from the bottle.” I intervened.

“Really?!” he sounded more than happy.

“Yes, really, but you have to share it with the others.”

“Fine…” he said grabbing himself a Smirnoff. I laughed at him as he skipped his way towards the bonfire. Everyone else grabbed their drinks and walked off. They all thanked me, except for Lisa, of course, and went off to do their own thing. I grabbed myself a Guinness and walked over to the group sitting comfortably next to Kara and Zack. Then Kara squealed, “We should play a game!”

I laughed, “Okay, one, don’t squeal when I’m this close to you and two, what game would we play?”

“Let’s play spin the bottle!” Jack said.

“Let’s not, since there’s only three girls and five guys.” Lisa finally spoke.

“How about truth or dare?” I asked.

“Truth or dare it is. Let’s do this! First victim… Matt!” Kara said.

“Truth.” He answered

“Always the party blower, okay, is it true that last year you dated two girls at the same time and they were both named Haley?” she asked as all the guys laughed.

“Yes, and to let everyone know, it was a bad decision. So don’t do it.” He warned and then laughed.

“Wow, Matt I didn’t know you were such a player.” I laughed at him.

“There’s a lot you don’t know about me.” He winked, “but it’s your turn now, so Truth or Dare?”

I thought for a second before I said, “I’m feeling risky, Dare me!”

“I dare you to make out with Jack till I tell you to stop.” He smirked.

“Score!” Jack put his fist in the air. I laughed and rolled my eyes. “You can’t be serious.”

“You said you were feeling risky. So, go smooch-a-roo with Jack-a-roo.”

“Might as well get it over with.” I said getting up and walking over to Jack. I straddled his lap and smiled at his glowing face. “You don’t mind do you?” I asked him, even though I knew he didn’t. Instead of him answering with his voice he answered with his lips. I kissed back immediately and honestly he was a really good kisser. I heard some of the guys in the background cheering on our heated kiss, even Kara was cheering. Our kiss got to the point where Jack was starting moving his hands to my shirt but it was interrupted when Matt yelled, “Alright, you two can stop!” I then pulled away and smiled at Jack whose face was full of disappointment.

“Why did you make her stop?” he whined like a two year old.

“Because that’s what I dared her to do.” Matt said bluntly as Jack flipped him the bird. I laughed at his silliness and whispered in his ear, “You’re a really great kisser.” And I got up and walked back to my seat. “My turn, I chose Kara.”

“Dare.” She sang happily.

“I dare you to go skinny dipping in the ocean.”

“All on my own?” she asked a little upset.

“Do you want me to come with you?” I asked.

“You would do that?” she asked.

“Nope, now go.” I smiled.

She laughed, “Figured, but alright.” She then got up and ran to the beach taking off layer by layer. I grabbed a towel and walked over to the ocean, picking up her clothes with me, and allowing her to come out. I held the towel out in front of her as she changed back into her clothes. We laughed about the dare until she whispered, “Just so you know, Alex looked really upset when you were kissing Jack.”

“Why?” I asked.

“I don’t know? I think he likes you. Do you like him?” she asked and I didn’t answer, “Thought so, when you guys came here, the look on his face said it all until he saw Lisa. You two would look cute together. Why don’t you go out with him?”

“I just met him yesterday. I’m not planning on dating him anytime soon, but I’d like too.”

“Well, you better hurry because he rebounds quickly.”

“If he does I could always go for Jack.” I smiled.

“He’s that good of a kisser?” she asked.

I smirked, “Best I’ve ever had.” We then laughed and walked back to the fire pit. This time it was Kara’s turn. “Lisa, truth or dare?”

“Truth.” Lisa said.

“Oh this should be good…” I heard Zack say under his breath but why would he say that? She hasn’t done much since I’ve been here unless… “Is it true that you only broke up with Alex so you could hook up with other boys?” she asked bluntly.

Are they seriously having this conversation? With Alex right here?! Lisa looked at Kara like she was about to kill, then she looked at me and then glanced at Alex who looked hurt but confused. She looked back at me when she answered, “Yes, that’s exactly why I did it.”

Now I was pissed. Alex obviously hasn’t talked to her but she’s said way too much with too little of time. “Why would you do something like that?” I asked clearly irritated.

“I didn’t want to sit on my ass, waiting for my so-called boyfriend to come home from his stupid tour!”

“Your so-called boyfriend was living out his dream and you weren’t there to even support him.”

“And you were?” she asked me and then turned to Alex and said, “Where’d you pick her up at? I’m pretty sure it’s a corner, knowing she’s a whore.” When she said those words I was fuming, but before I could say anything Alex defended me saying, “The only whore that I see, is you!”

“You’ve got to be kidding me. Lexy, you’re seriously taking her side?”

“Yes, I am. She’s not you. Did you not fucking here what you just said?! You said that the whole point of breaking up with me was to hook up with other guys. You’re a whore Lisa, get over yourself and get a life.” He said as venom seethed through his lips. He stood up and sighed in defeat, “I’m going home, goodnight guys.” He said and then walked away. Lisa was still here though, sitting with her mouth agape and eyes starting to water. “Well, this just got awkward.” Matt said shifting a little.

“What the hell is wrong with you guys? I thought you were my friends?” The bitch finally said as she flew back to reality. “So, all the sudden the new girl walks in and steals my boyfriend and my friends?”

This time I stood up and said, “Okay I’ve had enough! One, I did not steal Alex from you. I met him yesterday, and two, if I wanted to steal him from you it would’ve been easy. Why? Because you lost him a long time ago, and now that the party mood is gone and before everything gets out of control, can someone please drive me home?”

Everyone stood up including Lisa as Kara added, “We were never your friends Lisa. You were never around to even care about us.” Then Lisa stormed off pissed. We stood there quietly watching her speed off out of the parking lot. When she was gone Matt decided to repeat himself, “Well that was awkward.”

“Kara, why did you ask that question?” I said to her.

“Because when you and Alex went to go get the booze, she kept complaining that he only brought you along to get her jealous but Rian kept telling her that you were simply his neighbor. Then she said to Rian that he’s probably only saying that because he’s sleeping with you behind my back. But Rian called me before he went to the movies and told me all about you.” She explained and smiled at the end.

“Yeah, Jack and Alex wouldn’t shut up about how hot you were and Jack and I had to explain to her what Alex’s face looked like when you heard him.” Rian added.

I giggled, “Thanks guys. I’m glad you stood up for me while I wasn’t here. But if she really liked Alex she shouldn’t have broken up with him. I don’t even get why she was so jealous of me?”

“Well when you’re in a relationship, you’re bound to get some feelings for the other person, even if it’s based on sex.” Matt said.

“Maybe you’re right.” I said scratching the side of my head, “Well, I think we should head home. We barely had anything to drink since this thing went down hill in a few minutes so are you guys okay with driving home?” I asked. They all nodded and we said our goodbyes until I realized I didn’t have a ride, “Wait, I don’t have a ride home.”

Rian laughed, “Lulu, you’re my neighbor. You can come with me.”

“I knew that.” I said dumbly. Everyone laughed and said goodnight one last time and giving each other a hug as well. When I gave Jack a hug he snuck a long kiss on my lips. When he pulled away I smiled and said, “I could get use to that.”

“I could too.” He winked.

“Keep your pants on Barakat.” Kara yelled out her window as she drove away, giving Matt a lift with her. “Well time to go. Bye Jack.”

“Bye Lucy, I’ll see you Monday.”

“You too. Bye Zack!”

“Bye Lulu, I’ll see you soon!” I waved at the two boys as they left the parking lot. Then I walked to Rian’s car and hopped up front.

“So, you and Jack?” he smirked.

I looked at him and smiled, “He’s a good kisser, but after tonight I’m not sure if we’ll ever kiss again.”

“I don’t know? When Jack sees a girl he likes he’ll try his hardest to win her affection. Alex on the other hand, I know he really likes you too. When you and Jack were making out, his face looked jealous, angry, and desperate.”

“Kara told me. And I like Alex a lot too. But he and Lisa just got out of a relationship… Kind of?”

“Yeah, I get it. Oh and your aunt called me and told me that she had to fly out to New York, she said that you didn’t answer your phone”- I cut him off and groaned, “I left my phone in Alex’s car. That’s probably why. But thank you for telling me.”

“No problem.” He stated. We drove in silence the rest of the car ride home. When we pulled up on my driveway I suddenly felt terrified about what happened back home. I didn’t want to be left alone like I did to my parents. When I didn’t move Rian must’ve realized something was wrong, “Hey Lucy, you okay?” he asked.

I shut my eyes tightly and whimpered as I shook my head no. “What’s wrong?” he asked, un-buckling his seatbelt. “I don’t want to be alone in my house.” I forced out of my mouth.

“Why?”

“Do you know why I’m living with my aunt?”

“Yes, your parents are traveling, Zack told us.” I shook my head, “It was a cover up. My parents aren’t traveling anything. They’re still in Atlanta.”

“Then why are you here and not with them?” he asked confused. I started crying, “I’ll tell you if you promise not to tell anyone, including your brother! Only talk to Zack about it.”

“Of course…” he paused, “Let me text my dad and tell him I’ll be at your house tonight. I have a feeling your going to want company and some Ben and Jerry’s” he said while messaging his dad. I laughed through my tears and silently said, “Thank you, Rian.”
♠ ♠ ♠
How did you guys like it?

Yes, I know it's long, but I had to put it all out there. It would've been bad if I just cut it off on some spots so, please don't get mad at me for the length ):

Anyway, Zack knew about her parents and she told Rian. I know some people might think 'why doesn't she just tell them?'.....Well, it's not that simple. You don't just say, 'oh, hey i'm [name] and my parents were murdered.'
As easy as it sounds, it's not easy in real life..... well, i'm assuming?

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE? please :3 I'd love to hear your input!
and i know the update is earlier, but I was too excited so i put it out a day early (;

Outfits:
Lucy @ Rian's
Lucy @ Bonfire

*It's funny because I have the exact same journal as her XD