The Outcome

Chapter Fourteen

Throw the punch. Duck the return hit. Scoot back. Prepare for the weight. Shift the momentum back. Hit again. Keep moving. Don’t let the out of you sight. Reevaluate the area. Find a new comfort zone. Think fast! Absorb the hit to the chest. Bounce back. Go for the weak spot. Back of the knee. Ribcage. Pulse point. Move your feet. Keep up girl!

There were so many other things I should be doing right now to prepare for my date with Jacob, but what was I doing? Donovan decided it was time I took up my training again. So, underneath the dreary skies of La Push, I circled around the backyard trying to make sure he didn’t give me a black eye to explain later.

Still no matter how hard I tried to keep my training in my ear, I kept going back to dark hair and soft tan skin. Lazy smiles and small carving knives in big strong hands… Maybe that’s why I didn’t notice Donovan coming at me from the side. I let his escape my vision and he sent me flying a few feet with a kick to my side. Landing in the mud I heard, rather than saw, the laughter coming from the back porch. The rest of the boys loved to see me spar with a trainer, claiming to want to see how long I could keep up. I knew however, that they were waiting to see if I could get mad enough to finally turn, be a real fixture to the pack.

“Look, Macie, you have to keep it together! Don’t take your eyes off your opponent, this is basic stuff!” Donovan instructed me.

“I know that, I just got distracted…” I grumbled back to him. Picking my self out of the mud and picking some leaves out of my hair.

“You are weaker and slower to anything non-human that comes after you, girl.” He turned to look at our audience on the porch. “How was she the bait so long without getting killed first?”

I smirked to myself. Donovan didn’t know anything about me. He didn’t know exactly how fast my two (only) legs could take me. He was too busy giving me advice to make sure he took his own. By the time he turned back to yell at me some more; I was already there, giving him a kick in his side to match my own.

He landed on his ass in one of the bigger puddles in the yard, completely soaking himself in mud and rain. “Don’t take you eyes off your opponent, Donovan. C'mon, man. This is basic stuff.” I yelled down to him. The cheers from my boys only made me smile bigger as I waved and showed off my non-existent muscles to them.

They only egged me on further, everyone but Brayden that is. Ever since we were kids, even when our training got started, he never liked to see me fighting or defended myself. His disdain for my training grew even more so when it became apparent that I would probably never shift. It was so bad, that for a time I thought he didn't like me. That he thought all I was good for was pushing out more pups like the rest of the women back home, but now I think it has much more to do with the protection of my power. The more time I train, the less I have to develop whatever glitch in my mind that makes me see things. Still, knowing how something ends isn’t the best skill to have when you have a leech up your ass, ever hungry for your blood.

“Hey Macie, of your done; if your done it’s almost 5 o’ clock. You’re gonna need to spend a little time getting those leaves out of your hair.” Bray called out to me, pushing himself off the railing and heading back into the house.

“Fuck, five already? Can I go, Donovan?” I looked towards my polite attacker as I inched myself closer and closer to the backdoor.

“Yeah, you’re done. Just remember what I told you, yeah? The boys and I are going to go out for a run, get to know these woods a little better. Try not to stay out too late, though hot stuff.” He smirked to me.

“Yeah, whatever.” I mumbled as I rolled my eyes and made my way to the shower.

~*~

It was 5:30 and I was wrapping the last strand of hair around the curling iron. I silently counted to 15 as I listened to the hair sizzle against the heat. I was stressed out and nervous and feeling less like the bad ass I was in New York only a few short months ago. I only gave myself a sideways glance into the mirror, using the corner or my vision to see the outline of my outfit before flicking off the bathroom light.

I’d finally decided on a pair of black leggings and a slightly oversized yellow blouse, one of the few I owned. It was form fitting up top but flared out around my hips, making me feel feminine and cute. I finished off the look with a pair of boots and a pair of silver earrings. It was overcast outside, as always, but unseasonably warm outside; that along with Jacob’s wolfy heat kept me from coordinating a jacket with the outfit. This part of being a proper girl had left me drained enough already.

Brayden was learning against my door frame when I walked out the bathroom. Sliding past him into my room I did a twirl and let him give me a once over.

“How do I look?”

“Beautiful as ever, Mace. And actually a little bit calm.” He said, following me into the room.

“Oh, well that’s perfect. I’m a mess on the inside, it’s ridiculous. At least Erick isn't here to see the mess I am. I don’t want to deal with that ever.”

Brayden shrugged his shoulders. “I think you should go a little easier on him. You can’t blame him for being in love with you; it wasn't too long ago that you felt the same way.”

I rolled my eyes at him and turned to the closet, trying to find a matching bag. “I wasn't in love with him; I just did what he told me to do.”

“If that’s what it looks like to not be in love, I’m almost scared to see how you act when you’re actually enamored.”

I blushed deep enough scarlet for it to stain the color of my tan cheeks in shame and embarrassment. There had been more times than I could count when Brayden or one of the others had walked in on Eric and I in more than just friendly position.

“Look, I’m not accusing you of anything, but you never gave him a reason for you shift in affections. You should totally go after this thing with Jacob, but Erick is your Alpha. He’d die for you in an instant. Go easy on him.” Bray explained, taking a seat on the bed.

“I know, I’m not trying to be a bitch all the time, but he’s suffocates me. This life is suffocating sometimes.” My voice dropping off into a whisper with the last of it. Even through I knew Brayden could still hear me, he didn't rely.

Outside, I could hear the rumbling of a bike coming up the path. “Shit! He’s here!” Forgetting the hopelessness of finding a bag, I threw my keys, phone, and wallet into various pockets and raced across the hall to the bathroom for one last checkup.

The doorbell rang downstairs and five pairs of feet rushed to the door, fumbling about each other to there first.

“Everyone get the fuck away from the door.” I whispered, or yelled, down to them; my voice stern. Several pairs shot up to watch me walk down the stairs before retreating to the living room and settling back in front of the TV. “Thank you.” I called to them. Taking a deep breath, then mentally slapping myself because he could hear everything that happened in here just fine, I opened the door and let my heart skip a beat.

Jacob stood before me in faded dark blue jeans and a black henley shirt that fit him to the T, rolled up to his elbows. He wasn't overly fancy, but he looked so different than the standard tank top and cargo shorts he always wore to school. Little did he know that I understood the practicality of the outfit, phasing at the drop of a hat and all.

“Hey, Macie. You look beautiful.” He grinned that Jacob grin at me.

“Thanks, you look so great yourself.” I blushed back to him.

“Well, if we’re done with all the bullshit, let’s see if you can still handle the rabbit with that pretty little top on.” He teased me, brushing the collar of my top with his fingers. I was momentarily distracted by the sweeping heat of his fingertips across my skin, but with thoughts of everyone listening inside, I pulled myself together.

“Whatever, boy. Let’s see how fast you can really take that thing.” I rushed past him, the sound of his footsteps and laughter following behind me.

~*~

We were walking along the beach after leaving the restaurant. A breeze was blowing and I could taste the salt in the air. The moon was shining bright down on us and I felt protected in its glow.

“I don’t know what this is that I’m feeling when I’m around you. I've never felt anything like it. Something is so familiar about you.” Jacob told me.

The rush of pleasure started deep in my chest then shot up to my cheeks, turning them light crimson against my tan.

“I think I understand what you mean. I've never met another…. I've never felt this way about anyone either.” My voice broke with the statement. This wasn't apart of the plan, and the last time I checked my ending with him was still the same.

Jacob’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. “There’s something I need to tell you, but I’m not sure how to tell you.”

“Just tell me. You can tell me anything.” I blushed at my cliche.

Jake just laughed at me, “I know I could tell you anything, but this is different. This is complicated.”

But I already know you’re a werewolf, silly boy. I was sent here to spy on your pack.

The voice in the back of my head called to me. This game I was playing with him was getting old. How would he react when he found out that I knew? How would he react when he learned what I was myself? Bile rose deep in my throat at the thought of his rejection. I had to cough to relieve the stress.

“Maybe we should just hold off on the confessions for now. We have all the time in the world…” Both statements were lies and Eric wouldn't be particularly happy that I halted spy progress. Still, I knew I was being selfish. I wanted to keep my lies inside for longer, wanted to be as close to Jacob as I could for longer.

I closed my eyes and let this decision shape the outcome of the relationship. I saw rocks falling and my vision swayed with the realism.

The ending was all still the same.

“You alright?” Jacob asked me. “Fine.” I told him.

It was to turn out that both of our secrets weren't to stay that way for long.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been forever I know, but I refuse to give ya'll crap. I, however, won't make promises for updates anymore.

The next chapter could be out tonight or tomorrow depending on the feedback I get. Thanks for sticking around.