Death by Desire

Look, but don't touch

I’m not going to lie and pretend I don’t know everyone envies me. That would just be stupid. As I walked into the school, all eyes were focused on me. This may have had something to do with the fact I was walking in with only 2 periods left in the day, but I think it’s more to do
with the fact I looked good.

My hair was a sexily tousled mass of pitch-black beauty, my makeup was flawless, my dark brown eyes sparkling, the honey-colored flecks shining brightly, my jeans hugged me in all the right places, my top was low-cut enough to pique curiosity without being overly slutty, and my boots completed everything perfectly.

“Iris, your hair!” “Iris, you never called me back!” “Hey babe, you wanna go out” “Iris! Iris! Iris!” I basked
in the attention, it was rightfully mine and I had every intention of living it up to its full advantage.

“Miss Rose” a harsh voice called out and I rolled my eyes before plastering an enormous, overly sweet smile on my face and turning to face the principal.

“Yes Mrs. Fiamma” I simpered.

Her expression softened the teensiest bit. “Are you aware that you are just now walking into school, and the day is nearly over?” she said.

I shrugged and kept my eyes down, the picture of innocence. “Oh yes, I know. But you see, I overslept. Last night I was at the hospital watching over my grandmother…I wasn’t going to come at all today but she insisted my education was the most important thing of all…”

My voice trailed off and I peeked up through my eyelashes to see if she had taken the lie and swallowed it.

No luck.

“Really? She seemed just fine when I called your home this morning to inquire of your whereabouts.” I laughed. Mrs. Fiamma raised an eyebrow. “Detention, Miss Rose. And keep in mind, if you miss this you will not be allowed to participate in the upcoming Winter Ball.
I’m sure it would be a great disappointment to everyone if you were unable to be crowned Snow Queen.”

I froze. “You wouldn’t…I mean…you can’t….” She smiled. “Oh, but I can. Now, off to class.”

I sighed and made my way to my 6th period AP American-Government class, taking my usual seat in the middle row, far left, nearest the window.

“Iris!” my “best” friend Victoria LaHale squealed. “Best”, because I know she would be the first to turn on me, and would stab me in the back at a moment’s notice. “Hey” I said. The smell of her perfume filled my nose-designer scent , no less, to match her Juicy jeans, Betsy Johnson silk top, and Valentino leather jacket.

“So how was your break?” she asked, examining her manicure. I shrugged. “It was alright. Some shopping, some parties, the usual. You?”

Victoria launched into a description of her vacation in Europe, the parties she went to, the men she met, and on and on. I watched her, trying to see what she saw in the mirror. Yes, she was beautiful with creamy, porcelain skin, big, green-gray eyes and thick, long, naturally curved lashes, perfect lips, a killer body and thick, deep auburn hair mixed in with gold, and she came from money- her dad a hot-shot lawyer, her mom a neurosurgeon always on call- but she was a nasty person on the inside.

She lied, cheated, and stole just for the pleasure of stealing, for that rush of adrenaline.

The bell rang and Victoria was forced to shut up as the teacher rushed in, talking about the preparation needed for the AP test that was rapidly approaching I in a few months’ time. I turned my attention to scribbling down notes. As much as I knew anyone would do my work for me, I knew it wouldn’t help me much in college.

Education was important to me, always had been.

I had both beauty and brains, I was perfect

“Hey”, someone hissed and I turned to see none other than Orion Fiamma eyeing me.

“Got a pencil?” he asked. I rolled my eyes. He had a pencil on his desk, did he think I was stupid? Victoria fished one out of her oversized purse and held it out to him but he ignored her.

“Iris?” he asked. I sighed. “Look. We don’t talk, we never really have, so let’s keep it that way. No, I don’t have a pencil, but if you look, Victoria has one you’re more than welcome to use.”

His eyes darkened and he opened his mouth to speak but the teacher stopped him. “Mr. Fiamma, I’m sure your conversation is important enough to disrupt my class, however, I don’t take kindly to this sort of behavior, even from the principal’s son. Detention, I think, and
don’t even think of trying to get out of it. Your mother wouldn’t be pleased to know her son is failing a class, now would she?”

When Orion didn’t speak, he nodded to himself and kept lecturing.I turned away from Orion’s gaze, careful not to let him see that I was shaking. See, the thing with Orion is I despised his cocky manner, his arrogance, his charm, his good looks, the way he made my heart race….NO! my mind shouted.

Don’t you dare go there. The bell rang,jerking me out of my thoughts. I gathered my things, motioning for Victoria to go on without me. Orion stopped me in the middle of the aisle, and I glanced around. Stupid teacher was gone, this had been his last period so he wasn’t coming back.

“Excuse me.” I said, trying to step around him. He grabbed my wrist and lightly skimmed his thumb over the soft flesh there. “Maybe we should start talking” he said, moving closer. I pulled away. “Maybe we shouldn’t.” He laughed. “See you in detention.” I paused. “How did you…” he laughed again.“My mom’s the principal. I know more than you think.” He left me standing there, fuming, butterflies going crazy in my stomach.

“God help me” I moaned.