‹ Prequel: I Woke Up in a Car

Yesterday's Feelings

09

The plane shook violently as the wheels touched down on the ground. I could hear the sound of the rubber screeching and shuddering, the plane slowing down as the pilot put the engines in to reverse. Danielle was squeezing my hand so hard I could no longer feel my fingers. It was evident that she wasn't a fan of flying either.

Even though she was seven, I was happy to carry her and our belongings off the plane. She was so terrified. I headed down to baggage claim. John came in to view as we rounded a corner and Danielle smiled, "Sissy, you didn't say we were going to see your friend."

I laughed and set Danielle down, "I did too now hold on my hand because I don't want to lose you in the airport." I said sternly as we walked over to John, even though he was meeting us nearly half-way.

John still looked the same as ever. Dreads, a smile, and a bit of scruff. Dare I say it looked sexy, "So you landed in one piece." He said, hugging Danielle and then hugging me tight. "Come on, let's get your bags." He said, moving down to actually pick up Danielle and carry her for me.

I followed the two of them and watched them together. Danielle was giggling, I'm sure at some lame joke, but she was still young enough that as lame as they might be, they were still funny to her. She seemed to take to John, and he took to her, and that was the best thing. It was a scary thing, but, I always maintained that John and I were simply just friends.

We barged in to the house, the three of us with mine and Danielle's bags in tow. John's two dogs came to greet us. Danielle looked at them with two large bug eyes and she stood cowering behind me. I chuckled as Sensi and Gwen sniffed at our feet. John reached down to pet them, "Dani, they're not going to hurt you." I said, reaching out to pet Sensi.

The dogs grew bored and retreated to the living room in the house. "Did you girls pack your swimsuits?" John asked, "There's a mighty river out back if you two want to go swimming." John said, leading us down to the spare room.

Danielle shook her head, "No, I want a nap." She said, rubbing her eyes as she held on to my hand, I laughed.

"No honey, you've gotta stay up so you'll sleep tonight or you'll be up all night." I said, picking her up in my arms, looking at John, "Thanks for letting us come crash for a week."

John waved his hand, "Nah, it's not a huge deal. Besides, I'm not doing a whole lot. Season's over. Filming's done." John smiled, walking close to me with a smile, "Actually I'm glad you called. Decided to come out." There seemed to be a bit of a twinkle in John's eye and from the way he was looking at me, I must have had one too.

Our attention was pulled away when Gwen and Sensi's feet were heard padding across the floor and the door opened. Gwen barked and I heard an all too familiar voice ring out, "Gwenny, shut it." No mistaking Eric's voice for anything else.

My attention turned back to the upstairs. I had no idea that Eric was staying or living with John. Until now that is. John cleared his throat and looked up when he heard his name called, "Excuse me." John said, leaving Danielle and I in the spare room together, alone.

The walls were white, the comforter was blue and there was a window that overlooked the yard outside where you could see the river, "Look Dani, you can see the river from out the window." I looked down and noticed that she was fast asleep. So much for keeping her awake.

I tucked Danielle in to the bed, kissed her forehead, and then headed upstairs to find John. I found a little toddler, brown curls framed his tan little face. He had brown eyes and a killer smile with dimples. He didn't look a lick like Eric, not one bit. This must have been the little boy that Rachel had used to her advantage. "Hi." I said, kneeling next to him as he played with a car, "Can I play with you?" I asked.

The three year old just stared at me and offered me a car, "Ok." He said, pushing a little red, plastic sports car over to me to play with. I rolled the car around with his toy set for a few minutes before he spoke, "You're pretty."

I couldn't help but chuckle, "Thank you. You're pretty handsome yourself." I said, looking at the toddler, "What's your name?" I asked.

"Eli." He said, before a pair of hands reached down to pick him up.

I looked up a little surprised to see Eric standing there but he was, giving the toddler "raspberries" on his stomach no less. I abandoned the toy and stood up, smiling at the two of them. "This is my little man." Eric said, "Little Eli Jackson."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Burning Down The House by The Used.

Sorry for the delay in chapters, My internet has been down and so I've been writing away but unable to post. Hopefully I can get it fixed in the next couple of days-- hoping by the end of the week that it'll be fixed.