Sequel: Remembering Sunday

I Still Hear the Rain

Wait Outside

Brittany-

I slept in the next day. Rian, Zack and Jack were all sitting on my bed when I woke up. I groaned and buried my head under my pillows and blankets. I didn’t want to move. I didn’t want to get out of bed. I heard the door open and shut from downstairs. It was Mrs. G and Maddy. She and Mrs. Johnson brought her up to my room to see me.

“Mama!” She squealed.

“Hi sweetie, Mama missed you.” I sat up and took her from Isobel. “Thanks for watching her last night.”

“Of course, honey.”

“Dada over dere!” She pointed to my door. I looked to see Alex’s head poking out of the door frame. He looked scared. I could tell that the three on my bed were like a cat, ready to pounce on its prey. “Dada!” She reached out to Alex.

“Why does she think Alex is her father?”

“I don’t know, she’s been calling him that since I was-”

“Oh, I think it’s so cute. Alexander, get in here and talk to the poor child. She wants to see you.” Slowly Alex made his way into the room. He sat on the bed as Maddy climbed onto his lap.

“Ing Asey Way.” What was she talking about?

“Alright.” He sighed before singing her the song. When he was finished, she was sound asleep. He got up and put her in her bed.

“Jasey Rae, huh?” Jack glared at his best friend. “You’re pathetic, you know that.”

“Yeah, you tell Brittany all these things, but do you mean it? No, and if you did, you have a really shitty way of showing it. So instead of breaking her even more, make up your damn mind.” Zack spat.

“Alex, I’m tired of listening to you all the time. Oh I love her. I want to be with her. If you say all these things then why the fuck aren’t they happening?”

“I- I don’t know. I’m sorry. I get it, you guys all hate me. But you know what, I was your friend long before she ever came into the picture. And the truth is, I do love her. but I just get all these mixed feelings and it makes me scared. I admit it, I’m scared. I’m terrified of getting to serious with her and she randomly falls out of love with me. I don’t know what I’d do without her.”

Alex-

It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair to anyone. Not fair to Brittany for leading her on. Not fair to Maddy, I was her “Dad”. Now, I’m nothing. I’m nothing to her, my daughter and my friends. I just cost myself the two things in life that meant the most to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
this chapter is for Jonathan Cook, i loves you wifey!