Status: Prequel to 'An Ode For Cruelty' <3

The Last Rites for Souls on Fire

Nonum

The Fellowship straggled through the forest, caution being kept close at hand. Faelwen dragged her hand along the bark of the trees, a soft smile on her face, noting that she had neglected to speak with any of the plants in Rivendell. It was near silent, save for Gimli's ragged and heavy breath as he attempted to whisper.
"They say a great sorceress lives in these woods. An Elf-witch of terrible power," Faelwen's smile broadened slightly, "All who look upon her fall under her spell. And are never seen again."
Faelwen breathed deeply during Gimli's brief pause, taking in all the scents that lingered in the air. Those from the tree tops were close by.
"Well, here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox-"
He was cut short as he turned, coming face to face with several drawn arrows. Each member of the group looked at the elves around them, Legolas drawing his bow in retaliation. Faelwen touched his arm, gently pushing his arms down and lowering the weapon.
An Elf stepped forward, mocking clear in his tone, "The Dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark."
Faelwen spoke smoothly, "Car lin gar beria ammen, ion ned Lothlorien?" (Do you have protection for us, son of Lothlorien?[asked politely])
He turned to Faelwen, attempting to hide the shock on his face, "Man car beria le o?" (What do we protect you from?)
"We have fought our way here, we are tired and we have lost a dear friend," Faelwen allowed her eyes to fall to the ground.
The Elf stepped closer, looking closely at the woman before him. Legolas clenched his fist.
Aragorn spoke, "Haldir o Lorien, boe ammen veriad lin." (Haldir of Lorien, we need your protection)
Gimli glanced between the three Elves, "Aragorn, these woods are perilous! I think we should go back!"
Haldir turned quickly, as if he had remembered something, glancing between every member of the Fellowship bar Faelwen, "You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood. You cannot go back."
He began to walk away, making a quick motion with his hands. The Elves pointing arrows toward them moved quickly, jostling the group into a tight line behind Haldir.

Faelwen continued to walk just as she had before, trailing her hands along the trees, projecting her thoughts into each and every one. She poured out her sadness at Gandalf's passing until she was left walking near the back of the group humming, a soft smile on her face. The Elves around her gave her puzzled looks, to which she simply smiled, baring her pointed teeth. Legolas watched Haldir closely as he glanced over his shoulder again, eyes landing squarely on Faelwen. He knew it shouldn't bother him, after all, he and Faelwen had no connection apart from the Fellowship. And yet it did. Each time Haldir chanced another glance backward at the porcelain-looking Elf-Maiden, Legolas felt another fraction of his mind slip away, falling into a near painful rage.
Then he heard her humming; soft, melodious, sweet and gentle. As if every care in the world simply passed her by. His anger started to ebb away, the fists he didn't realize he had clenched loosened. That is, until Haldir once again glanced back, a glazed over fog in his eyes. The same fog Legolas knew took up residence in his eyes when Faelwen was close by.
Faelwen slowly let her tune turn melancholy. She noticed Legolas mood, she also noticed how he glared at Haldir, as if he wished him to drop dead. She couldn't help but notice how that glare intensified every time Haldir caught a glimpse of her. She would have attempted to walk up to Legolas and offer what little comfort she could were it not for the tight grouping of the border guards around her companions. They had pressed in more tightly than the beginning, not allowing Faelwen access to the forest fauna. Instead she loudly hummed her minor-keyed and forlorn song, hoping that her friends, one in particular, would remember that they were not alone in their feelings.

As they entered the city, the Galadhrim, the eyes of the Hobbits and the Dwarf turned upward, staring in awe at the silver-toned trees-turned-building. Legolas chanced a glance back at Faelwen, hoping to see the same expression of awe on her doll-like face. Instead he was met with her pale-pink eyes and a slow soft smile. Haldir had also looked back, and seeing the exchange between the two, saw fit to hurry the group along.
They came to stop at the foot of a sliver toned flight of stone stairs. The Elves of Lorien and Aragorn bowed as a bright light made its way slowly down the staircase.

The Hobbits tried to squint through the light, though it soon faded. Before the Fellowship stood Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel. Faelwen gave a short nod of her head, Legolas and the Hobbits following suit.
"Hain gar laew idhrinn, Faelwen ned Fainauriel. Tell me, where is Gandalf? I much desire to speak with him," Lord Celeborn spoke, a definitive authority ringing clear with his tone. (It has been many years, Faelwen of White-fire.)
Galadriel's voice drifted over them, as light and airy as the wind, "He has fallen into shadow," She paused glancing slowly around the group, "The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true."
Faelwen paused, slowly falling to a kneeling bow, "My Lady, -"
"You need not bow before me, Fainauriel. Your Company may rest within our borders."
Faelwen smiled as she stood up, "Hannon le an lin milui gur, Heryn nin." (Thank you for your kind heart, my Lady.)
♠ ♠ ♠
3 commenters, 5 subscribers <333
Thank you to yuna131422 and The Wistler for commenting on the last chapter.
And I'm incredibly sorry if there's any mistakes; sleep deprivation is slowly melting my brain...Send a comment my way and I'll fix it up quick-smart. Currently 4:09 am AAAAND POST!
And it was pretty tempting to type "I have fought my way here, to the castle beyond the Goblin city!"